Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is post number two because the first one was in the beginners question section, but I just purchased this '02 ZX6R for dirt cheap as a little project. It runs fine but I don't think the headlight and surrounding fairing are street legal... and it is super cheap looking, so no night riding for a while. Also, a previous owner layed it down on the left side, so all of the fairings were removed which makes it problematic for me to find a place to mount some front turn signals. Anybody have thoughts on that? I believe I can buy an integrated taillight/turn signal that is DOT approved for under a hundred bucks for the back, thoughts? And is there a headlight that would have some integrated turn signals? Anyways, thanks in advance for any possible insight.

Attachments

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Depends on your state if it is street legal or not.

Here in MO barely anything is needed to pass safety. You dont need turn signals at all. All you need is a headlight, tail light, brakes, tires.. thats pretty much it.
Agreed, here in Az all you TECHNICALLY need is a headlight, tail light and license plate light. BUT we dont even have any sort of safety check. Even to register a custom all you need is proof the motor and or frame aren't stolen and they give you a vin plate and print you a title, no inspection at all.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'm in southern Cali where EVERYTHING is regulated super tight but we, ironically, don't have strict motorcycle minimum equipment regulations. I thought we needed turn signals at night, not completely sure but I am sure you won't catch me after sundown riding with an underpowered headlight and no blinkers.

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
welcom in fer one mate now im of ta see if i can help in yer beginer qwestions ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With a bit more research it seems like any bike built after 1972 is required to have a functional headlight, tail light after dark and working turn signals at all times... Unless I am grossly misinterpreting the California VC regs. Robsroadbeater, thanks, I'd appreciate any help.

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
those are def sound safe things fer a less dangerous time on tha roads fer sure' I am always trying to have tha best rear lamps and blinkers I can setup on any bike I modify! Its OK to see dangers in front of ya but behind is a diffrent story!

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
From what I understand according to cali regs every rider must wear cargo shorts and flip flops while riding and IF they happen to be wearing a helmet it must have a stick on plastic mohawk or chrome spikes on it.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
rubbersdown, they actually teach that here in the MSF basic riders course. if we didn't have cargo shorts and flip flops they directed us to go directly to Pacific Sunwear and lay down some cash.
sounds about right, I spent some time in cali, I remember that lesson. :shocker:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...and if the CHPs see you with a helmet on they pull you over and issue you a ticket for being "a total bummer".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts