Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

New toy, help needed

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  titan 
#1 ·
Had a conversation with my mate a couple of weeks ago about getting a lathe for the new shop. I have zero experience with these, never used one...

He has years of experience and called me earlier in the week, said his current lathe can't be moved but he has secured us one...

This turned up to day. Time to learn a new set of skills. But first I'm wondering and it's a long short if anyone has any Spares or know of anywhere that may have parts as one of the gears is shot.

In the UK it's a Colchester master, USA it's a clausing 13-8000 gears that's broken is 71248-0

Much appreciated... To be updated once we work out how to move it in to position, wire it up and test it.

About as happy as a happy thing right now.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

See less See more
Reactions: Natan
#3 ·
Well after a small fortune replacing the broken gear I think we are turning. Just got the three phase plug sockets wired in only job left is to remove the pallet and get it seated correctly. Should be turning in no time

#4 ·
Had to run a test of. My first time using a lathe (under supervision)

6" length with in 100th of a mm so happy with that.

#5 ·
First proper turning job (not done by me) is to make a steering stem for a SRAD front end to fit on a Yamaha xv1000 tr1 build we are doing. So billet t6 7075 is used.

Machine is working awesome

Reactions: Smoker
#7 ·
We were lucky the local metal place did a reclaim on a business that closed down and as it's not something they Normally stock let the bar go for £20 [emoji23]

#11 ·
Had a conversation with my mate a couple of weeks ago about getting a lathe for the new shop. I have zero experience with these, never used one...

He has years of experience and called me earlier in the week, said his current lathe can't be moved but he has secured us one...

This turned up to day. Time to learn a new set of skills. But first I'm wondering and it's a long short if anyone has any Spares or know of anywhere that may have parts as one of the gears is shot.

In the UK it's a Colchester master, USA it's a clausing 13-8000 gears that's broken is 71248-0

Much appreciated... To be updated once we work out how to move it in to position, wire it up and test it.

About as happy as a happy thing right now.

People learn to work on a lathe for years. A good turner means education and great experience. Without special skills, I would not recommend that you try to do something. The lathe is not a joke or a toy. The risk of injury is very high.

#12 ·
I'm not, I have an experienced turner working with me [emoji106] no messing around trust me

#19 ·
[emoji23]
Remember when titan got his dick caught in the lathe...?
Lucky for me to do that I either need to grow a longer dick or generally grow a few feet [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Reactions: Smoker
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.