Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a good story for you all....

About seven or eight months ago I overheard a co-worker complaining about how much the local Honda dealer was going to charge him for rebuilding/cleaning his carbs…over $500. I told him I’d stop by after work one day and take care of it for him, free of charge. Since doing that, he hasn’t touched the bike. He recently sent me an email saying that he is ready to sell it with a baby on the way and his only riding buddy also selling his bike, he’s lost the drive.

So he goes on to tell me the typical selling price of the bike, what needs done to it and tells me to make him an offer, considering I already have 500 bucks into it. It needs sprockets and a chain, carb sync/rebuild, tires (75% tread, but a sport touring tire that’s flat in the center cause he apparently never turned the damn thing) and fluids change. I told him I didn’t have a lot of money so the most I could offer was $550. He said he figured that would be my price and that he wanted to post it up here at work first to see if he got any bites, but that he was really appreciative of the work I did and that he “owed me one”. I told him it was not a big deal and that I did it for free cause I wanted to see him back on the road…and I told him I could go up to $600 cash right now. Well, he swayed my way and sold it to me for $600.

1999 CBR 600 F4 with 27k on it. Yes, it really is that clean. It's ridiculous. Just spent 115 bucks on sprockets and a chain...only other big tickets it needs are tires and it WILL need a suspension update. I'm going to do RaceTech or Sonic Springs with RaceTech valving...if I can figure it out on my own...any opinions or help is well appreciated. Engine is smooth (off idle is rough due to out of sync carbs) and has no mechanical noises I didn't expect. I'm STOKED!!!

Also, notice the van's ford badge is covered up....

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
PS, I want more pics of what looks like an Apache pickup in that driveway.

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Endo can help you with your Race Tech needs and i can assist as well.

good score
That's probably the best thing I've heard all week CK. I've been real worried about what I was going to do with the suspension cause right now it feels like marshmallows, even with the preload all the way stiff. I know next to nothing about revalving or updating forks with the RaceTech kit.

I've figured I'm going to need this stuff to do the forks:

http://www.solomotoparts.com/product.php?productid=25204&cat=325&page=1

or

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog...id=65&osCsid=f0f0085534f6581bb8ead221d2d2c083

In 1.1kg cause I'm a heavy guy.

And these:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/665909/Race-Tech-HFR-Gold-Valve-Kit-Honda-CBR600F234i

But, do I need these too?? Or are the stock ones going to be ok for a L2/L3 rider?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/665869/Race-Tech-Rebound-Gold-Valve-kit-Honda-CBR600F4

And that's just for the forks. The shock I think I can just get a 16kg spring and call it a day...though if I wanted to do it correctly I could get the re-valve for it. Or maybe a newer shock and just retrofit it, though it would still need resprung most likely due to my weight.

I don't know, so many options and no knowledge of it myself...it makes me feel very queasy, I need to learn how to do this so I don't feel like a helpless little bitch.

:LolLolLolLol:

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you weigh in gear?
270-275. Working on it though. Those spring rates were calculated from the handy dandy RaceTech site.

EDIT: Oh and that's my buddy's stepside...can't remember the year. It's in one of the S-10 lowrider forums, I'll get a link tonight for you.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
I'd do the 1.1 spring since it's available, and the G2-R Gold Valves. Use Ohlins #5 fork oil and you'll have a different bike. I wouldn't worry about the rebound valves right away, try the first setup, see how the rebound is. Might cost you some time to add them later but could save $200 if you don't need them.

And I know it sounds sales pitchy, but the Ohlins oil is that good...I no longer use anything else, even in my KLR.

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd do the 1.1 spring since it's available, and the G2-R Gold Valves. Use Ohlins #5 fork oil and you'll have a different bike. I wouldn't worry about the rebound valves right away, try the first setup, see how the rebound is. Might cost you some time to add them later but could save $200 if you don't need them.

And I know it sounds sales pitchy, but the Ohlins oil is that good...I no longer use anything else, even in my KLR.
Sounds like a plan then. I think the Sonic springs are probably as good as the RaceTech...what do you think? I can't find the RaceTech ones online in 1.1kg so I was thinking of going with Sonic.

As for the compression valves, why do you recommend the G2-R over the HFR? I don't know the difference between the two other than the HFR is for track only or something? I really don't know.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,145 Posts

i agree on the 1.1, but you might find you need the rebound valves as most guys i know running F4's have. you can get the all in one kit from RaceTech that is all inclusive. and there's nothing wrong with the G2's

as for the shock, i think if you don't have the money for a new one then you should look into revalving that as well. a spring won't do you any good on a poor piece.

my .02

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Yeah, springs are springs...Racetech has the 1.1's in stock though, you should be able to order through their website.

The HFR valve is a rebound valve.

For compression valving there's the Type 1 and the G2-R. Honestly, the Type 1 would be okay, but for $10 more, the G2-R is a good buy. It's just a more progressive valve.

*edit* CK's post showed up just before I hit post lol
I didn't know that the F4 had a rebound issue, so the rebound valves wouldn't hurt as he said, do their all in one kit.

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i agree on the 1.1, but you might find you need the rebound valves as most guys i know running F4's have. you can get the all in one kit from RaceTech that is all inclusive. and there's nothing wrong with the G2's

as for the shock, i think if you don't have the money for a new one then you should look into revalving that as well. a spring won't do you any good on a poor piece.

my .02
Alright. I'm going to have to rebuild the shock then, cause I don't have the 550 bucks to get a Works, Penske or Ohlins, unfortunately. I think I can rebuild it for $250 though...we'll see.

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, springs are springs...Racetech has the 1.1's in stock though, you should be able to order through their website.

The HFR valve is a rebound valve.

For compression valving there's the Type 1 and the G2-R. Honestly, the Type 1 would be okay, but for $10 more, the G2-R is a good buy. It's just a more progressive valve.

*edit* CK's post showed up just before I hit post lol
I didn't know that the F4 had a rebound issue, so the rebound valves wouldn't hurt as he said, do their all in one kit.
I didn't notice the HFR was a rebound valve, thanks. I'll see if I can get a deal on the complete package from one of the local guys...fuckin suspension shit is expensive!

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
You bet...it ain't cheap but it's the best bang vs. buck performance mod anyone can do in my opinion.

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You bet...it ain't cheap but it's the best bang vs. buck performance mod anyone can do in my opinion.
I guess it's god the bike only cost $600! I have $115 in sprockets and a chain coming next week...gonna have to save up for this suspension shit...hopefully it's less than 700 bucks.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
And you're still so far ahead of the game, it's nuts lol

·
Buell Fighter
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And you're still so far ahead of the game, it's nuts lol
Haha, my room mate with the stepside told me the day after when I got to talk to him that he hated me now and didn't want to talk to me ever again because of the deal I got on it. I'm OK with losing a friend over a cheap but great bike, hahahaha!!

:LolLolLolLol:

1 - 20 of 205 Posts