Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for y'alls info, being a yamaha dealer I have insider info on a brand new bike from yamaha. The MT-09, its a 3 cylinder 850cc naked bike. Just pure awesomeness. 115hp 85nm torque cross plane crankshaft (like the new R1) once I get sone pics I'll post em up

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
do want!!!!!!!

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
that music is crazy. love it

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't like EVERYTHING about it... but it'll be on the watch list once people start selling them used (I'm cheap). It isn't as "pretty" as the street triple, FZ8, CB1000... but I think it'd work.

Headlight needs to come down some. But I'm not afraid of modding.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't like EVERYTHING about it... but it'll be on the watch list once people start selling them used (I'm cheap). It isn't as "pretty" as the street triple, FZ8, CB1000... but I think it'd work.

Headlight needs to come down some. But I'm not afraid of modding.
I get them at cost. And here the new price is as much as a used Fz1/8

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
Well, when the EU goes to ABS mandatory it should make it cheaper for them to deliver it to the US with it.

I just don't know if I want to make the investment that is buying a new bike, if it DOESN'T have the baseline of tech for the rest of the world. One of the reasons I don't like Harleys. Innovate assholes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, I finally got a chance to demo this bike, as Star Motorcycles brought out an 18wheeler full of demo bikes. The dealer hosting it was in a horrible spot to test ride.... not really any curves.
Here's my thoughts on the FZ09 - Mixed emotions.

Power - it wasn't the torque monster I expected. The throttle was aggressive and snappy, but i expected more from the engine. I'm coming from a 1200 Buell, but thought the newer technology/engine format would compare. It lost. It was PLENTY to feel spirited, and was tons of fun... but I expected power wheelies without bouncing the throttle (not that I REALLY tried on a ride like this... but there were full throttle blasts in 2nd gear). Smoother powerband, and more down low than an sv650... but had a really choppy throttle compared to sv. And I didn't even try A-mode/sport mode (forgot). Exhaust note definitely seemed to be the same as a 4cyl supersport (to me, and with OE pipes).

Suspension - Not squishy.... but a little soft. Remember... I'm under 140lbs. With a little adjustment, I'd be fine with it. Basically, I'm not afraid to mod... so redoing the front forks at the first service, and swapping shock for a used SS shock... no big deal IMO. It was not as soft as my Ninja 650r. Just about everyone who test rode it complained about the suspension and how horrible it was.

Fit - Both foot pedals seemed to be too far down. Maybe because of my semi-short legs (30in inseem)... so I didn't have as much bend in my knees? Wearing riding boots, I had to stretch out the ankle area to reach the controls... thats without the shin guards I'd normally have tucked in them. BUT.... shifter is adjustable, and I'm assuming brake could be too. My right foot was constantly hitting the engine case. It's not so much that the engine case is wide... it's that the WHOLE bike is narrow, except the case. Felt like my knees were less than 10in apart. Still... engine case was annoying, hopefully bringing the brake up a bit would help this out. And I only have 7.5 foot.... someone with big feet? Try before you buy. Bike was taller than I expected, but not too tall (especially with as narrow and light as it felt).

Handling - pretty sure it would want to dive into corners... it wasn't too twitchy, but definitely light feeling. The throttle though... I'd be worried about already being on the throttle before leaning in. Partially my experience, partially being a demo ride... but it seemed less forgiving to throttle input.

Changes I'd make - Adjustment to foot controls (free), MILD exhaust, update suspension if riding sporty... probably at first service... not right out the door. Still... that soft suspension would be NICE for a sporty commuter that isn't railing corners in the country. Afterall... this ISN'T a sport bike.

Probably just need to get accustomed to the snappy throttle. My Ninja 650r doesn't have the low-end, and the Buell 1200 is a torque monster... but not snappy. Neither have quick turn throttle tubes.

This is the one i rode...

See the guard on the engine case? My shin was regularly touching that... especially while braking. I wear sidi riding boots, so kinda bulky.... but their a size 7.5US.

·
85 Posts
The 'cross-plane crank, same as current R1 technology' is marketing hype ...it's a 120 degree triple, the same as any other triple (apart from the 180 degree Laverda Jota triple back in the 70s).

·
Feckin Eejit!
6,961 Posts
@chevy
Thanks for a thorough review :) I would have been surprised as hell if it had the low end torque of a Buell tuned 1205. Everything else is pretty "on the money" from other reviews and what the hardware looks like on paper.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts