Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the life of me, I can't figure out why I didn't find this forum sooner. Would have been much happier if I had. Anyway, here's my current project:

'88 FZR 400
Newer 600 engine jetted and piped, Accel hot coils
Stretched, lowered and polished
'06 R1 tail
Adjustable rear shock with remote nitrogen reservoir
Performance Machine polished rear wheel

It's not quite as custom as a few bikes I've seen on here but hopefully it'll get better soon. Plans are for either an Acerbis front fairing/lights or some Buell lights, I haven't decided yet. Other than that, I'm looking for another R1 tail I can fiddle around with and make look better than the one I have.

I can't wait to ditch the plastics. Heck, I already found some stuff in the classifieds I'm planning on picking up, so it might be sooner than I expected.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
Can't wait to see it naked
that tail looks pretty cool
thought about doing an undertail exhaust?

I'd suggest not doing the Acerbis... not only is it played out but it just sucks as a headlight (all of them)

Welcome to the site

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eh, I'm in Kansas and I've only seen two streetfighters in person. Both were buddy's bikes. Around here an Acerbis would be something nobody's seen. That's not to say I'm dead-set on one, I just have some specifics. It's gotta be very close to the forks, I really don't like the aftermarket headlights/fairings that stick out more than two or three inches from where they're mounted. If you've got ideas, post them up. I'd love to see some pics.

I love the fairing on spyder's bike, is that the same style headlight that's for sale in the classifieds?

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah same headlight
hope you don't wanna ride at night with it
Not really, actually. I'm about to pick up another bike that I plan on using for trips. It won't be a streetfighter though, '85 900 GPz in almost mint condition, my first bike was one just like it, I still regret getting rid of it.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
Cool.

I'll just throw out the aztec8 headlight kits for high quality, well priced headlights that actually work for headlight. Look em up, see if they're your dish.

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, I've always liked the looks of the Acerbis Diamond (until just recently, I'm starting to have second thoughts) and stumbled on this one while looking around for Aztec8 stuff. Seems like someone is ripping off their headlights, though they're cheaper from this company than from any other I've found, really.

http://www.flyncycle.com/acatalog/Demon_lights.html

Thoughts?

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
There are a lot of Acerbis ripoffs

THEY SUCK!

They tend to blow bulbs and melt a lot moe than a headlight ought to

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice to know. Do the actual Acerbis fairings have any problems with that?

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
They sometimes collect water in the lenses. You can use RTV silicone from an auto parts store to fix that if needed.

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little further down the road I need to get rid of that damn extended swingarm. That's not for a bit though. Right now, my priorities are getting rid of the plastics, making the tail look better where the pillion was and rig up a smaller, cheap speedo.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
love the fzr 400s. yours looks awesome

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
Welcome heine ! :LolLolLolLol:

Nice ride , wait till Steve see's it !:party-smiley:

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some small pics from today. Too bad they weren't higher resolution. I'll fix that next time.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
WELCOME TO THE SITE HEINEKEN!

THANKS FOR SIGNING UP, ENJOY THE SITE.

cant wait to see your bike stripped of all them plastics. headlights are hard to decide on, but i agree with your points on the acerbis...cheap, close to forks, easy install, great mounts. I would NOT go for one of the cheapeys tho. y'know what they say. you get what you pay for.

look forward to seeing your bike progress.

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's the only pic I could find of a somewhat naked FZR 400. I'm thinking the DHH might be a good option.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
^^ is that one of steves race bikes?? ^^

:LolLolLolLol:

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, actually. Found it over on FZR Forums. It was the first pic of a 400 I could find minus the fairings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts