Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
50cc sprinter
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo!
I'm a newbie to the forum still awaiting his 17th birthday so I can begin my own CF project.
I plan on buying a KTM RC 125 and making it my very own machine. However there are a couple of questions that I haven't really been able to get my head around.
Firstly I would really like to convert the bike to a SSSA however with my seriously limited mechanical knowledge I have no idea how to find out what SSSA would actually fit onto the bike I want nor do I know how to custom fit one on.

Secondly, one huge attraction for me is changing the tail of the bike to that of another/higher capacity bike (as they look far better). My question about that is: how do I know which tails will fit onto the KTM RC I desire and if those options are very limited,
How do I custom fit a different tail onto my bike?

Shall be posting more newbie questions as they pop up so stay tuned all you hardened mechanics and CF veterans :rock:

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
I was about your age, maybe a tad younger, when I started to really get into fabrication. I was into rock crawling and needed to put frame stiffeners on my Jeep, but couldn't afford the pre-made stuff nor the cost of labor to have someone else weld them on. So I bought some steel and the tools I could afford, borrowed what I couldn't, and figured out enough to get it done (forums were a huge help in that).
And years later, when I got out of the Army, I was able to land a job within a week of when I started looking for one... as a welder... because of that experience (that wasn't my only welding experience by that point, but that's where it all started).

Don't underestimate yourself, or the value of learning new skills. It's WORTH IT, and it's not as daunting as it seems at first. Some of the best fabricators I know failed out of high school and barely managed to get a GED... if THEY can do it, so can YOU.

On that note, you're asking the wrong questions. Don't worry about what SSSA or tail section will fit... because they will ALL fit. It's just a matter of how much work is involved. There are two approaches; "what will fit with the least amount of work" and "I want THIS _____... what will it take to make it fit on my shit." Sometimes you luck out and the part you want is also the most convenient to make work, but that's not usually the case. Which approach you take is entirely your choice.
I'll also add, your bike isn't a very common one... don't expect to get as much input on it as you would on, say, a Ninja 250 or an R3.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

·
V four honda whore
12,425 Posts
Start em young huh? I do like ktm diuke series.

Try to gather some size releated information. And start doing shit. It will come. But firstly gather info, otherwise you'll end up woth parted out bike

Reactions: Bish

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Welcome to CF:rock:

I was about your age when I put a big block Chevy in to a '48 Olds coupe. Before that I had barely changed a spark plug. Forums and eBay weren't really a thing yet, so you've got a huge leg up on what I had to work with!

CK187 and Eatabullet are two members here of the top of my head that fool with KTM's. Cookiead2000 has done some sssa swaps and may be able to help you with some measurements.

Me? I'll worthless, but I'll be looking forward to your build thread. DW :K:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome and good on you thinking about moding the bike, always always make it your own and don't worry what others think , as for the SSSA I think Gilera did one on their CX125 and then there are the Honda VFR400 NC24 and NC30 these could all be donors they are all light bikes so should be ok

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts

·
50cc sprinter
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man I've fallen in love with how friendly and helpful everyone is in this forum. I used to want to keep everything stock and just stick on bolt on parts but you lot have shown me a whole new style and I bloody love it! Imma be sure to check out each of these ideas and I'm going to look in to getting myself some basic welding equipment and tools to get started.
Can't bloody wait, my 125 will not be the fastest motorcycle on the road but it's going to be the most badass by far. :rock:

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
I was never as young as you Bish ;) LOL that's how bloody old I am mate :D!

anyways hers yer bikes big brotha

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
I already really like the swing arm and seat fairing those come with.

First thing most owners complain on those bikes is the bad brakes, better start (and build confidence) by getting a better quality master cylinder for the front. Cbr250 or even cbr125 will be cheap and will work better than the one on there.

Aprilia af-1 swingarm may work, but there is more to think about than you think. There's one cheap on eBay without a wheel or adjusters, you could pick it up dirt cheap just to see if you can make it fit your frame, and go from there. Then you only need to worry about getting the wheel centred and the chain running straight and whether your shock absorber fits and is long enough...

What I'm saying is you can do it, but when you're doing it, go slow and never go with close enough good enough. It's either right or its not safe.

Reactions: shinyribs

·
50cc sprinter
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was never as young as you Bish ;) LOL that's how bloody old I am mate :D!

anyways hers yer bikes big brotha

Well the younger I start the better off I'll be when I can get myself a proper capacity bike!
Also is that an RC streetfightered? Almost looks like a super duke with a couple modifications jheez :rock:

·
50cc sprinter
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I already really like the swing arm and seat fairing those come with.

First thing most owners complain on those bikes is the bad brakes, better start (and build confidence) by getting a better quality master cylinder for the front. Cbr250 or even cbr125 will be cheap and will work better than the one on there.

Aprilia af-1 swingarm may work, but there is more to think about than you think. There's one cheap on eBay without a wheel or adjusters, you could pick it up dirt cheap just to see if you can make it fit your frame, and go from there. Then you only need to worry about getting the wheel centred and the chain running straight and whether your shock absorber fits and is long enough...

What I'm saying is you can do it, but when you're doing it, go slow and never go with close enough good enough. It's either right or its not safe.
You seem to know your stuff proper, can I add a bit of a noobie question and ask how exactly a swing arm attaches to a bike? I assume it's different from bike to bike but there must be some kind of general mechanism?

Also thanks for the idea on the brakes, that's one of the parts of the RC I haven't heard great things about so I'll make sure to look into that, thanks!

·
V four honda whore
12,425 Posts
Axle trough the frame and or engine. Depends on bike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts