Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been browsing around a while and reading some of your posts. I have to say, I'm infatuated with the streetfighter look. My 1998 YZF-600R is halfway towards becoming a full-fledged streetfighter :D. I've replaced the ram-air carburation system with an older-model 600R's carbs that don't require all that extra piping and I've cleverly tucked in the wiring harness.

Initially, I was thinking of using my stock (albeit chopped and modified) ABS fairing along with the stock front fairing mounting bracket. When I put it all together, however, the bike looked bloated because the stock fairing was made to accommodate the ram-air piping/surge tanks, and those are no longer present.

My revised plan is to get some sort of good looking streetfighter-style aftermarket headlight and dirtbike bars. The bike's already been stripped after a rebuild, so these mods wouldn't take any time at all for me to do, and I wouldn't have to dish out any cash to have my chopped ABS plastics repainted.

Could you guys please suggest to me some different brands of commonly used cool looking aftermarket streetfighter-style headlights? I love the double round headlight look, but I'm not sure if this bike can pull it off.

I could also use some help in finding the right dirtbike bars and clamps for my bike. What works best for street application?

Thanks in advance all!! :D

Wes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To give ya'll a general idea of what I started working with at the beginning of this summer, take a look below.

I've since used nuts and bolts, epoxy, and body filler to 'fuse' the three pieces of front fairing into one. The surge tanks beneath the ABS fairing and the piping coming out of the frame are now gone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whys the front fender have a strut ?
cause the lower part of it got destroyed in a wreck. the stock fender is made of two separate parts, one extends to the back of the front wheel and the other to the front. Since the front piece of the fender pivots when it's on there with only two bolts and ends up rubbing the wheel, I had to fab up those struts to hold it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
with how sharp that front fender is, it would be tits if you could get rid of that strut
Hmm, I'll definitely look into it. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to brace it together up top.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
As far as headlights go, it's a pretty hard question to answer without asking some of my own:

What's your price range?
Do you require DOT-stamped lights (IE, do you get yearly inspections?)
How willing would you be to fabricate mounts?

Answer these and we'll be able to shoot you ideas.

For your second question, risers are easy to find. Get them off a dirtbike or a Virago or something. What to look for is the bar diameter of the risers.. 7/8" and 1 1/8" are the usual sizes.
After you do that... it depends on what kind of shape you're looking for. 7/8" usually have a brace in the middle but not always. 1 1/8" bars are called "fat bars" and almost never have a brace. Not having a brace makes it a lot easier to mount on a streetfighter.

That being said, an unbraced 7/8" bar is going to do you fine and might be easier to find risers for. Also of note is that your stock controls will fit either size, as the fat bars taper down at the end for controls.

To put risers on you'll probably need to drill your top clamp, which is a "measure eight hundred times, start drilling, measure again, and drill" procedure. If you're looking to spend money, Spiegler sells the LSL superbike kit for a lot of bikes... but a few of us have been having quality issues (considering the expense involved...)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Price range: under $150, DOT preferred.

I'm fairly apt at fabrication, but I don't have a welder :(
As long as the mounts don't require a mechanical engineering degree to make...

As for the handlebars, what's the best way to attach the risers to the triple-top? Is the idea to drill straight through and secure it with nuts on the opposite side, or to drill holes straight down and then run a tap through them to bolt the risers and bars directly onto the clamp?

Thanks again!

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
You drill them,Or make your own top tripple. Do a little searchin on the site there's a ton of info, and builds on here ! :D

Welcome to the madness :knucks:

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
aztec8 sells a complete dual-round kit that's gotten good reviews and costs around your price range.

I have a set of PIAA 510 driving lights, cost me $200 to buy the headlights and make the mounts. I used electrical conduit clamps to clamp them to the bar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
simpson detour predator headlight unit, looks good on all bikes and are full of street cred. Proper streetfighter headlight unit

I like that! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aztec8 sells a complete dual-round kit that's gotten good reviews and costs around your price range.

I have a set of PIAA 510 driving lights, cost me $200 to buy the headlights and make the mounts. I used electrical conduit clamps to clamp them to the bar.
Looks good, but it's a bit on the pricey side for what it is. If I bought everything separately and paid to have some mounts fabbed, I'd probably end up spending half that. Thanks though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts