Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
put'n it together
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody worked with a vf500 interceptor? besides the parts flying around inside the trani I am trying to decide on ditching the fearing. Anybody figured out a good place to put all the wires that are normally hidden there?

·
102 Posts
Hey there are a couple of old interceptors on here right now. Roadfury has a very nice 500 and I have been working on mine quite a bit too. For that rats nest of wiring they tuck behind the headlight, I just unhooked and shortened/soldered all the wires and ran them along the underside edge of the gas tank along the top of the frame. Good luck and post lotsa pics :shocker: Dont be afraid to ask questions either cause there are a lot of smart bastards on here that'll give you a hand after a ribbing or two

·
put'n it together
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so I finnaly got into the shift box and tried to figure out what is wrong. put it back together several different ways -still not working right. I did determine that some of the problem may be in the transmission, so I pulled the oil pan and looked up inside. Everything down there looks beautiful, other than the oilpump siphon strainer was covered in a mat of what looked like pet hair and metal shavings. maybe a quarter of the shavings were magnetic the others appear to be aluminum.
anybody tangled with one of these tranies? I have no experience with them till this week end and have no idea what I am doing other than looking for something that looks broken etc.

·
put'n it together
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I was about to put it together again and hope I had made things better, but decided that with the bike all apart and the coolant drained I should adjust the valves and hopefully get rid of the ticking sound in the rear cylinders. after removing several other components the rear valve cover finally came off. I looked inside searching for the little adjuster bolts I was expecting to find. I didn't see any then suddenly I spotted one reached in and picked it up. A total of eight were in there, but only two were still attached to the rocker. The others had snapped off. It is kind of amazing that I was riding this bike just last week at 50mph in third (I could not get it to shift into 4th) and had no idea one cylinder had no functional valves and another had only the intake or exhaust.
well I will be contemplating the future of the vf500 project I any body has repaired one of these motors in this kind of shape drop me a note I'd like to know how viable it is and at what price. the plan was a low budget build.
well I am going to sleep on it.

·
put'n it together
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well to update I tore down the engine part way yesterday. took a break when I reolized the case wasn't going to come apart till I pulled alot of bolts inside. my friend and I got looking at the head trying to figure out if the timing chain needed to be broken to get the rockers out and my friend noticed that the chain seemed to skip when he tried to turn the engine over (this was in the head with all the broken rockers) looking closer we found that a bolt had fallen out of the sprocket allowing it to just flop around in there, skipping links on the chain cousing the valves to open randomly. so the mystery of the broken rockers solved.

Now the real question do I rebuild the motor and trani, try to find another engine and hope its in better shape, or quit while I am only in a couple hundred bucks, and look for a bike that is more common and easier to find parts

·
put'n it together
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking closely at the cam chain it became apparent yesterday that the cause of all this breakage was a previous repair. The cam chain sprockets had bean removed and then when they were being replaced the bolts that hold them on were cross threaded. this allowed them to work loose over time. This of course led to major problems for the valve timing, and so the rockers snapped. Surprisingly the valves and pistons show no sign of damage.

·
put'n it together
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx roadfurry
I did get another motor, found a guy near seattle parting out a bike. It's in the bike now but I couldnt get it running right. All the gas was running out before it got to the last carb. I will be messing with the carbs today, I had to order new O-rings for the fuel lines between carbs. so anyhoo hopefully the "new" engine runs good if not I still might take you up on that offer.

p.s. sorry about the lack of pics I'm working on that.

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts
Yeah what's the crack man? You sorted? You weren't having much luck with that earlier engine. How was the replacement? weez eenteresteed:rock:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.