Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
nmangano2412
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinkin about buying a kawasaki ninja 250 2009-2011 to ride a little more often. Are they worth it? i live in chicago and current project will not be that much fun in city driving. The first thing that i would do is throw a 160 rear on there/exhaust. so im just wondering what some opinions are. plus i feel like insurance will be really low on that bike. all opinions welcome!

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
they're pretty good bikes, if a little underpowered (depending on your views). they've got the same or very similar engine to the earliest version of the water cooled 250 twin in the gpz250, so parts are no issue if you need them.

if you're doing daily city trips then they're all good, but if youre expecting to do loads of long distance riding i'd go for something a little bigger.

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
Sure a wider tire will help with wander in relation to shitty roads and ruts and "that guy who dropped a driveshaft and put a half a mile groove in the road, i hope it caught and flipped his ass" but it is still a light bike.

·
nmangano2412
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure a wider tire will help with wander in relation to shitty roads and ruts and "that guy who dropped a driveshaft and put a half a mile groove in the road, i hope it caught and flipped his ass" but it is still a light bike.
just wondering, i know that you can get like 90-95mph out of em but anyone know of someone getting more, BTW are there any 250 builds on this forum?

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
just wondering, i know that you can get like 90-95mph out of em but anyone know of someone getting more, BTW are there any 250 builds on this forum?
If they're getting more, it's not much more.

They are fun as fuck, but like everyone said, if you're putting down real miles and spending much time on the highway, I'd look for something bigger.

There are a number of 250 Ninja builds, but I don't recall any current gen builds... all the ones I remember are the old 20+ year design.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
The 250 is a good bike. The 160 will not fit on the rear without rubbing the chain and will also cause hell for handling due to pinching the bead of the tire excessively.

Don't be afraid to pick one up. If you're like most of us, you'll end up adding a pipe and a jet kit that will give you a couple extra HP and you'll just learn to down shift and rev the bastard to the moon to move when there's a car that doesn't see you. They're great bikes. I have a ton of buddies that race them because it's cheap.

On a side note, the SV650 can be had for around the same money. It runs a 160mm rear stock and there are tons of ways you can get the bike to handle better. Gas mileage is good and it has plenty of power for commuting.

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
My daughter rides a 2008 250 ninja, end can with no baffle, KN filter, its her first bike and she loves it. It can go quite fast and handles well.

·
The Honda Guy
468 Posts
My first street bike was an '88 Ninja 250. Great little bike. 10krpm @80mph was the main downer, but it would do it all day. I put a lot of highway miles on it, and my uncle put about 10k on one in a year all highway. They do top out at about 100 (mine indicated 112 at redline, calculated to 100), but I'd still highway one if I had it. Better wind protection than my 599!

Older bikes made more peak hp, had higher redline. Newer have a lower redline, and less hp, but a bit more tq.

Mine got pods & 2 washers under each needle, plus one size bigger jet with stock exhaust. I don't remember it being noticeably faster, but it sounded cooler.

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
get a motard. would take serious work to make a ninja 250 half as fun.

ex500s are raw if you strip them down to nothing. good cheap beaters.

·
nmangano2412
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 250 is a good bike. The 160 will not fit on the rear without rubbing the chain and will also cause hell for handling due to pinching the bead of the tire excessively.

Don't be afraid to pick one up. If you're like most of us, you'll end up adding a pipe and a jet kit that will give you a couple extra HP and you'll just learn to down shift and rev the bastard to the moon to move when there's a car that doesn't see you. They're great bikes. I have a ton of buddies that race them because it's cheap.

On a side note, the SV650 can be had for around the same money. It runs a 160mm rear stock and there are tons of ways you can get the bike to handle better. Gas mileage is good and it has plenty of power for commuting.
Yeah, i checked out the sv650, i like them alot (the naked ones). When i finally finish my current project, and if i havent found a 250 yet ill probably go for one of those!

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
I had use of an old model 250 for a couple of months. At the time I was using a CB-1 for my regular ride, first "big" bike. They aren't fast, but they're fast enough for regular use. License-keeping type of speeds, yanno? Exhausts on the old ones were a rust trap, but in general - within the limitations of a small engine - they're decent little bikes! The newer model has modern sized tyres so should be even nicer to ride, but didn't I read it got heavier and slower in the redesign?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, i checked out the sv650, i like them alot (the naked ones). When i finally finish my current project, and if i havent found a 250 yet ill probably go for one of those!
or ninja 650r. They look good naked if you don't like fairings (just take a peak at some of the mild builds on here, or the er6n (only available in 2009, so not many around)).
Same power/mileage/size/cost as the sv650. They do feel quite different, so sit on or ride both before you decide. Either one can have the bars raised/lowered to meet in the middle and get what you want.
In my area, you can get a newer/lower mileage 650r for the same price as an old SV650... probably because of looks. SV was ahead of it's time, 650r was behind (until '09).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts