Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Fresh to the game
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ran my bike into a curb the other day, as they say never get on your bike mad.. well its true

So what im wanting to do while my bike is out for a while is

UPGRADES
front end swap with 636
Chain
sprockets (-1,+2)
Paint job
new headlight set up
gauge set up
Exhaust set up
sub throttle plates removed
remove tank dent

DAMAGE

Front rim bent and minor scratches

Before wreck ^

·
Fresh to the game
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By front end swap you mean forks and wheel? If so is there a advantage over the 650 forks?

Yeah from what im told you will need a 03-04 triple, 03-08 tubes and brakes, 05-08 rotor, 04-06 wheel. Correct me if im wrong but this is what ai have gathered from google haha. Yeah from what i read it makes a huge difference, i rode my girls 13 636 and it has amazing handleing dont even feel bumps in the road.. and brakes bit hard unlike the 650

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
If u can help it, get 05-06 forks rather than 03-04. A lot stronger lower tubes.

Same with wheels, get 05-06, a lot prettier lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fresh to the game
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quick question, whats the best way to rattle can the gas tank? Anyone have any luck with rattle cans?

·
Capt. Slow
267 Posts
I stripped all the paint off with Aircraft Stripper since I had to go down to bare metal to use some fiber filler. Once all that was sanded and smoothed out, I cleaned it off with some denatured alcohol and tack cloth. I primed it, used spot filler on the pin holes and slight imperfections in the filler work, Then wet sanded with 400. I put the color down, wet sanded with 800, got my design painted on, wet sand (800), clear coat. I didn't do this (might later on) but a lot of people will go back once the clear has dried and wet sand with a very fine grit and end up polishing it out for the best shine. I used Rustoleum for the primer and color, then Spray Max 2k for the clear coat. I'm pleased with the finish and it's been holding up pretty good so far. The clearcoat and prepwork are the biggest things you can't skimp on. The Spray Max is UV and chemical resistant. I've spilled a little gas on it a couple times and you can't even tell. Don't forget to use the tack cloth after you sand before you start painting again so you don't get little fuzzies in the paint.

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be a pro with paint. This is how I did it after a bit of research and some past experience with rattlecan painting. This is by no means the only way or necessarily the right way to do things.

·
Fresh to the game
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update, got my bike moved to my storage unit to start working on because im in the navy and live in barracks haha, this week ill try to do some shit but i leave monday for underway so it may be a little while before i get 2 it, BUT i ordered my forks 2day, 04 forks, triples, calipers, and clip ons for 380. pretty good compared to everything else i was seeing on ebay. I searched for rims and couldnt find shit... just a bunch of bent rims.

Plans for this weekend....
Remove dents using computer cleaner and hair dryer.
strip paint... pretty nervous about this part
switching out rear brake pedals.

probably think of some more shit will im working on it..

·
Capt. Slow
267 Posts
Stripping the paint isn't bad. Do it outside so it's well ventilated. Buy a pair of those thick chemical gloves, it'll eat right through the latex ones. Burns like hell on your skin. Use water (hose works great) to wash it off once your done scraping. Oh, and don't get it on anything you don't want destroyed.

·
Fresh to the game
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE/QUESTION

So to remove the rest of the forks, I need to remove the wheel first then I should be able to slid off the forks right? After I unbolt the 4 bolts holding onto the forks and that BIG HEX key looking thing? That is how you remove it right a giant hex key or am I missing something?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
The easiest way it to use the back of your spark plug socket get a long bolt that fits it and to nuts that fit the bolt. Tighten the nuts onto each other on the bolt so they just barely stick out of the socket use a big crescent wrench to loosen it.

What kind of forks are those? If its a 03-04 you will you need a front tire and rotors too

·
Fresh to the game
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah there 03-04 I already have a rim/rotor coming but can I use the tire from my 650 and put it on this rim, looked online and people said its possible

·
Fresh to the game
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

after some hard work dealing with the last castle nut, search HIGH AND LOW for a spanner wrench and came up empty handed so I looked for a pin wrench, got one of those and the fawkr didn't work :doh: so I grabbed a good ol' fashion pipe wrench and just cranked it till it gave up.

used my tire from the ninja 650 and had trouble getting the tire on the beads so me and my uncle put starter fluid in it and blew it up and then inflated it really fast, :robssmilie:
worked like a charm, honest I didn't believe it was going to work because I have never heard of such a thing.

couldn't find a place to mount my single headlight to it so I threw on these 20 buck fog lights from autozone and called it a day.

tried to ride to work this morning and the fawkers decided to stay straight the whole time till I hit the highway and the next the I know im going straight in a turn lane, ended up driving home guessing where I was going because I couldn't see shit. So I am looking for a more permanent headlight but have not found one that I like yet.

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
If you like the dual look, there's good dominator sets on ebay for $150 - $200... fighters balk at the price but they have really good light output and are worth the money. I've got them on my bike and wouldn't put anything else in.

·
Fresh to the game
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got back from deployment and its time to start this back up...
Trailtech gauges
headlight
sub throttle removal
custom exhaust
new paint job
new tail
turn signals
new tail light
new coolant bottle

this is my current plans... started sanding down my tank yesterday, worked about 5 hrs on that w/ some sand paper and a rotarty tool. I am hoping to finish the sanding completely today. Then i have a off day im hoping to start on this paint job.. im just thinking about going with the typical flat black maybe add some gold accents on my bike since the forks are gold. If yall have any experience with a tail swap or making a custom exhaust i would appreicate help cause im not very mech savey. For the headlight i was thinking about going with the VROD headlight the only thing thats holding me back on it is the price.. Also i wanted to add a fat ass back tire.. Anyone know how that would affect me and wheeling? Im thinking it would make it worst but im not very sure. I dont know what i currently have on it in reference to size maybe a 150 or 160

1 - 20 of 23 Posts