Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
First to Fight
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This project started out as a scraped up 2005 Ninja 650R. The goal is a big bore dirt runner that will also be a daily rider. I sourced a swingarm from a 690 Duke. Had a local machinist bore the bearing pockets so I could keep the 20mm pivot bolt at the frame. Also had my machinist turn a custom steer tube that used the OEM Ninja head tube bearings with my KTM 450EXC forks.

Stripped the plastics and all of the undesirables. Swing arm and shock went away. All the stupid plastics that nested the battery and electronics. Air box. The ridiculous peg assembly things and kick stand. Forks and OEM triples. Fuel tank of course. Fabrication started with the installation of the swing arm.

At first I couldn't decide if I wanted to to keep the original style lower shock linkage or pin it. I decided to pin it. I build a link that ties to a spacer on the pivot bolt. For the newly located upper shock mount I fabbed in a canabalized upper shock mount from my old KLX 650R. It's welded to the Ninja's upper cross member and supported by a tube I added. Still have to add the gusset plates to finish that.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Nice! I'll be following this one. What machine shop do you use?

·
First to Fight
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on. Hopefully this will keep folks interested if not mildly entertained.

Nice! I'll be following this one. What machine shop do you use?
My machinist is retired now. He seriously retired about 10 seconds after cutting the steer tube. Basically did it for free. I had another guy north of Erie but I can't get ahold of him.

·
First to Fight
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moving on to what I have accomplished on the front. There's not much to photo journal there.

Shot of the new steer tube pressed into the KTM lower triple next to the Ninja's OEM stuff.

After sprinkling on a little Ronald McDonald magic and welding on the tower for the Scotts damper it's ready for forks. The forks are being rebuilt currently. Hopefully get them back today.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Dude, no offense, but can you tell me why guys put wheels like that on trucks meant for off-roading? I just don't see how pretty/intricate alloys and rocks mix. I see that shit all the time on 'mud trucks' up here in New England.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Subbed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
First to Fight
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dude, no offense, but can you tell me why guys put wheels like that on trucks meant for off-roading? I just don't see how pretty/intricate alloys and rocks mix. I see that shit all the time on 'mud trucks' up here in New England.
I hear what you're saying and no offense taken. I hate those wheels but I needed 20's for the mil surplus tires I run on the street. Got the wheels for $68 each shipped and couldn't turn them down. Those wheels have never seen a trail. That 42.5 bogger on the spare carrier is what I run on the trail. Those are mounted on split rim internal beadlock wheels from Stazworks. Hopefully that helps you sleep tonight. Appreciate the constructive criticism.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts