Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Triple nutter
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this build thread is long past due, life somehow always seems to get hectic right around the time you try to get something done. i bought this bike spring of 2010, did a little work to it last year but decided to fighterer it over this last winter due mostly to a desire to convert the shaft drive to chaindrive. i was trying my best to keep my costs down but as you all know, this shit adds up quick. so i've spent money where i think it counts the most, for the proper hard parts, and am doing all the other work myself.
so here we go...

this is how i bought the bike. running, bobber style, a little cobbled together but solid

i soon found that the exhaust was in bad shape and rusting out, so rather than spend $300 on a new set of pipes like everyone else with an xs750 had, i bought a big box of mandrel bent pipes for $200ish and built myself a set of custom straight pipes. cheaper and way cooler;)
mock-up

painted before the titanium wrap

wrapped and on the bike. i also ditched the hacked up stock seat that was on it in favor of a solo seat.

i moved into a new place, and finally have the space to have a lift, so i built one and got ready to DW

started stripping it down

removed and disassembled the middle drive gear box for the shaft drive to harvest the needed parts to be reused

cut the housing apart to use as support for the inner bearing on the output shaft. i ordered sealed bearings to replace the open-race ones that were originally there, cos they won't be in a gear oil bath any more.
section cut

this is where the output shaft runs, but it isn't running thru the sectioned housing here, only sitting in the splines. the sprocket is a 13t for a cb77

first look at the bike with the new rear end mocked up. full swinger off a '07 R1, added about 6" overall. i was so damn pumped to finally see this

decided to cut off the subie. the stock one was too wide for what i wanted, so i'll build a narrower one once the upper shock mount is finished

rear view

got the dogbone link welded up

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
sweeet! looks great so far. can't wait to see where it goes from here

·
Triple nutter
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
next is on to the upper shock mount, and new subframe. i have to tie up the electrics up front for my new koso speedo unit, and fab a seat. plus i think i'm gonna modify the exhaust to exit a little different.

·
Triple nutter
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm hoping to be able to keep up on the pics with each step, it just took so damn long for me to get the time to start this thread. i've been working on it for the last 3 months and piled up so many pics that i had to sort thru all of them

still also have to get the support plate for the outrigger bearing machined. i think i'm just gonna buy the tooling and try it myself. i'll throw up a couple of mock up pics soon

·
Triple nutter
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm i dunno as far as the style goes. gonna be in the cafe direction, but i'm keeping the mid controls and drag bars. it's also going to be kinda muscle/hotrod, i'm thinking about doing some pinstripping. i'm sure i might do some carving on this bike, but it's also gotta be good for long trips too, so the function will def dictate the form, at least mostly.
more pics to come with the upcoming work, don't worry

·
Triple nutter
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here's a pic of the new sprocket, renthal ultralite 43T

sad thing is i've had this thing for like 2 months, but just haven't gotten that far yet

1 - 20 of 346 Posts