Work has been done!
The first order of business was to remove most of the back end of the bike, since the tacks broke when the frame fell off its stand a couple of months ago and the alignment was all out. I also removed most of the rust. Here it sits on my high tech welding stand (itself once a frame).
From there, it was simply a matter of setting it back up on a rail, getting the back end close enough to in line with the front, and tacking everything back in place.
My 1/8" and quarter-degree tolerances for straightness would be crazy-loose on a real motorcycle, but for this ridiculous bullshit, they're overkill. It may be straighter than that, but I didn't feel like getting out the real tools to measure.
The lower hoop was a simple retack job once the top was welded up straight.
"DO NOT MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS TO THIS TRIUMPH FRAME. MODIFICATIONS SUCH AS WELDING OR DRILLING MAY WEAKEN THE FRAME RESULTING IN AN ACCIDENT." Being a moron, I didn't put down a wet towel when I welded the fill plate into that hole, so this sticker is now ruined. Triumph doesn't seem to sell it separately. Damn it.
It was snowy out, so I brought everybody inside.
It's been a few years since I've laced a motorcycle wheel. The front came together on the first try. I had to unlace and relace the rear three times. It's fortunate that these aren't important parts, since clearly I was paying zero attention to what I was doing.
... and we have a roller. Fits right in.
I still need to finish a few welds that are (heavily) tacked, and I have five or six brackets to weld on... still plenty of work to do, but man... having wheels on it makes me happy.
The next step is, of course, sorting out this mess.
Here's the original problem. The starter idler gear spindle exited the original case without ceremony. The underlying metal was... not awesome. I've since ground it down to install a plate, but that's kind of a mess. I have a set of good cases, so I'm going to use those instead. Don't get me wrong. I'm super-bummed about not putting the original cases back into service. It's just not practical at this particular moment, and I need to get the engine together.
Swapping the main bearings from the old cases provided the right clearance and now the crank turns freely.
The problem now is that there's too much drag in the trans, so I'm going to have to play with bearings and spacers to get that sorted out. Not the end of the world. In the mean time, I'm packing the engine away, because two of the case bolts have wandered off, so I'm $2.20 in metric fasteners from being able to actually button this thing up.
And here they are, put to rest for a few more days.
With bolts on order, all that's left are a few odds and ends, like a lightened flywheel and an EFI conversion...