• Matte Black Dominator Lights

Votes: 4 26.7%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I eat my 600R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YZINGGERR Build (YZF600R Thundercat)

New to CF and excited to get into my first build. I bought a 1997 YZF600R before the summer and not only does this bike need a facelift as is. It is meant to be a fighter hands down. I just got the bike mechanically sound and ready to begin on the physical build aspect. I love this bike and its my only transportation, so it will be a budget build and I will take a lot of time and I will have to be very cautious. Working on some mock ups tonight of what I am looking to do with it. Would love to hear anyones ideas or opinons (especially about keeping the comfortable street oriented ergonomics throughout the fighter build) Feel free to reply with ANYTHING at all through the build good, bad or pure hating. I dont care any input is greatly appreciated, looking forward to my progress as a Fighterer.

Attachments

·
I eat my 600R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: Tore off the big nasty fairings (including the rear wheel cover) good riddance. Cleaned up my wiring and got rid of some pointless moisture collection tubing and other various factory tubing and pieces hanging off the bike. Cleaned up my cables and mounted my brakes on the horn/cable mount backwards for a cleaner look. Replacing the gauges with a GPScity RAM GPS mount and a TomTom, for my speedo. I have it just have to mount it up (Any cool ideas for this would be appreciated). Cleaned, retuned and rejetted the carbs, then ordered a K&N filter to replace the really badly dry rotted OEM one. Still trying to find a good idea for Ram intake covers, so I replaced it with some filter foam and a brace behind it. Been looking at the ram intake cover from a Triumph speed 4. Thoughts on that? Gave her another coat of Matte Black. I ordered some 3" bar end mirrors (Billet Black), put on a stunt light with integrated turn signals (Temporary pending mask build and finding a decent set of dual headlights) BTW looking to buy duals or really any decent single, dual, or wave light set up. Also looking for a set of dirty bars and risers. Let me know (Not enough posts to post in the classified) Input is always appreciated.

Reactions: Kaos

·
I eat my 600R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dude, Ill keep the build updated.

·
SHOWUSYATITS
5,378 Posts
Looks a lot better without the plastics!
You can find the wave headlights cheap on ebay sometimes. Seen them for as low as $80 before...

Reactions: Rolling

·
139 Posts
looking good my friend. check out my 600r on here, search Project Red Rock. have you been over on yzf600r.com? they have alot of info on these bikes but they're not really into streetfighters there.

have you routed the breather tube into the airbox? its the larger tube that runs from the carbs up through the frame out into the ram-air out front. if you don't put it in the airbox it will run like crap and you will also need to rejet since the ram-air has been removed.

I would have traded you my fighter for you non fighter.

·
I eat my 600R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looking good my friend. check out my 600r on here, search Project Red Rock. have you been over on yzf600r.com? they have alot of info on these bikes but they're not really into streetfighters there.

have you routed the breather tube into the airbox? its the larger tube that runs from the carbs up through the frame out into the ram-air out front. if you don't put it in the airbox it will run like crap and you will also need to rejet since the ram-air has been removed.

I would have traded you my fighter for you non fighter.
Thanks dude! Believe or not Project Red Rock is one of the reasons I decided to join and fighter my YZF, so I am surely familiar. PRR is beast, such a noice job! Before you posted on my build i was actually about to ask your advice on the seat chop. So whats your advice on the seat chop? :LolLolLolLol: Ive perused yzf600r.com a few times, No fighters on YZF600R.com thats :nuts: IMO I think the YZF is one of the more unique/less seen and better looking Fighters. Plus the street oriented ergonomics are unsurpassed. Thats funny you mentioned all the stuff about the Ram air, because I did run into that issue haha It ran like pure shit! The breather tube is off and covered with racing foam and I ordered a K&N to replace the old dry rotted factory filter. I cleaned, retuned and synched the carbs (no re jetting though) and it runs like a freaking top! I was surprised thinking rejetting would be necessary. Also covered the ram intake holes with racing foam. Looking forward to your opinion/advice on modifying the seat. Had a pair of SB bars and risers donated to the project today (props to those guys for helping out :party-smiley:) so the seat modification is the next thing on my list.

·
139 Posts
The seat mod was easy but are you cutting down the tail pieces to match? Alot of guys run the r6 tail section and it looks good. I wanted something different so I chopped my factory one and modded the seat to fit. are you just wanting to make it a single seat with a cover for the rear seat?

·
I eat my 600R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The seat mod was easy but are you cutting down the tail pieces to match? Alot of guys run the r6 tail section and it looks good. I wanted something different so I chopped my factory one and modded the seat to fit. are you just wanting to make it a single seat with a cover for the rear seat?
Im either looking to chop and match up the seat section similar to yours. Or my other idea was to chop and throw a modified R1 tail on that rear end. Since my funds are low at the moment I may modify the subframe to fit the R1 later on and chop my seat down for the time being. Would you be able to give me a walkthrough or a few key pointers It would really help out :thumbsup:

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Im either looking to chop and match up the seat section similar to yours. Or my other idea was to chop and throw a modified R1 tail on that rear end. Since my funds are low at the moment I may modify the subframe to fit the R1 later on and chop my seat down for the time being. Would you be able to give me a walkthrough or a few key pointers It would really help out :thumbsup:
If you're good at glassing....

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5863&highlight=tail

·
I eat my 600R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: Decided to chop the original side fairings down to half size and mount them back on similar to a very large belly pan. I didn't quite like the look of the bottom of the oil pan. I got the bar end mirrors in but one of my bar ends is stuck on (L side) due to a previous owners drop, so theres only one mirror on there. Anybody that can help me get that bar end off would be greatly appreciated. Ive tried using allens, an impact driver, and vice grips (VG just spun the clip on around) so far and kind of ran out of ideas. Wired & soldered in the headlight & signals, engineered a metal clip that holds a brighter and better bulb into the assembly instead of the crappy little one that came with it. Clipped my GPS mount onto my steering stem bolt temporarily until I get 7/8" bars on there, holds surprisingly well and IMO it doesn't look half bad. My K&N filter comes in tomorrow and I think when I have to take the tank back off Im going to throw some stencil art on it. Drawing up some ideas tonight for that. Working on ideas for the new seat and seat cowl or possibly just a solo seat cowl for the time being. Comments, suggestions & opinons are always appreciated

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bike looks good! :D I love the 600r

Be careful about the K & N filter on these bikes, it likes to split down the center of the fold. I'm pretty sure the stock filter flows better if not the same as a K & N filter as well. I think I read somewhere that K & N replaces them and all that under their warranty, but its just a pain in the ass to deal with :doh:

·
I eat my 600R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bike looks good! :D I love the 600r

Be careful about the K & N filter on these bikes, it likes to split down the center of the fold. I'm pretty sure the stock filter flows better if not the same as a K & N filter as well. I think I read somewhere that K & N replaces them and all that under their warranty, but its just a pain in the ass to deal with :doh:
Thanks man! Shes still got a looong way to go though. Digging your build, I just realized you put an R1 tail on yours like Im planning to do. If you wouldnt mind I could really use some pointers on how to start with all that. Howd you get it on the subframe? Did it just bolt on? I plan on using the R1 tail but not quite all of it. Im planning to chop down to a solo seat and use like half or a quarter of the R1 tail and glass the rest myself. Fairly experienced with making surfboards in the past but bikes are a whole new world & I've yet to grasp a good understanding of there ergonomics. in other words I dont want to glass something that will look like doo doo :LolLolLolLol: The RFID on your bike is awesome and absolutely love the GSX front end. About the filter: Truth be told I retuned after taking off the intake and was told that a stock filter would make the mixture to rich with the tuning I had it at. Plus it was easier to find a K&N opposed to a stock filter in my area. So I'll cross my fingers and hope it doesnt bend down the middle on me. Thanks for letting me know what to watch out for with those. When it comes to performance I still consider myself pretty :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks man! Shes still got a looong way to go though. Digging your build, I just realized you put an R1 tail on yours like Im planning to do. If you wouldnt mind I could really use some pointers on how to start with all that. Howd you get it on the subframe? Did it just bolt on? I plan on using the R1 tail but not quite all of it. Im planning to chop down to a solo seat and use like half or a quarter of the R1 tail and glass the rest myself. Fairly experienced with making surfboards in the past but bikes are a whole new world & I've yet to grasp a good understanding of there ergonomics. in other words I dont want to glass something that will look like doo doo :LolLolLolLol: The RFID on your bike is awesome and absolutely love the GSX front end. About the filter: Truth be told I retuned after taking off the intake and was told that a stock filter would make the mixture to rich with the tuning I had it at. Plus it was easier to find a K&N opposed to a stock filter in my area. So I'll cross my fingers and hope it doesnt bend down the middle on me. Thanks for letting me know what to watch out for with those. When it comes to performance I still consider myself pretty :confused:
It was pretty easy swapping the R1 tail on the rear. I honestly want to redo mine, I think it lays a little too flat? needs to be lifted up in the rear a bit more I think and also shorter, the R1 tail is pretty long. Somday I would love to learn how to weld and make my own subframe.

All I ended up doing was cutting the back hoops off and removing the passenger seating. made up some quick mounts for the light, etc. All in all it wasn't a bad swap really other then I don't like the angle of the seat that much. As for how to get started ... well I started with a big ol angle grinder and started chopping shit off the bike :CK187:

·
I eat my 600R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Stoph, I noticed that you used SS extended brake lines, What length did you end up using? Is there slack or is the size you used just right? and those banjos look like 90 degrees, Am I right? Also did you have to extend any of the other cables? Thanks man! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Think it was extended by around 4-5" if I remember correctly. The kit was a Venhill kit. I called them up and ordered them. They were awesome to deal with and got it all sorted out. Mine's going to be a little different then yours since my front end is different. The kit was 90 degree elbows at the top and then like 20 or 30 degree elbows at the bottom. I didn't have to extend my clutch or the choke cable.

·
I eat my 600R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I want some opinons on lighting choices. I found a sweet ass UK site that has Fighter parts for extremely fair prices. I originally wanted to go with Dominators but I just can't justify the price at the moment, although I really need to get that crappy temporary light I have on now replaced. So I want all your opinons on what I should go with.

Option one: Super Moto Light W/ Visor $19.99 EUR

Option two: 7" Red Round Light $24.99 EUR

Option three: Dominators $64.99 EUR

·
I eat my 600R
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm actually kind of glad the voters to date seem to favor the red round, because I've been kind of leaning towards that myself. Are you saying Dominators have shit output or they are the shit?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts