Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys guys I have a 1996 suzuki katana 600, and I need some help with it, when I bought it it would crank but wouldnt run, there were no jets in the carbs so I bought a new set of carbs that were supposed to be compatible with my bike but I'm seeing some differences the new one is on the right of the picture, and I'm wondering what I do with these hoses/openings. Also there's a cable that Idk goes where but it's coming from the handlebar with the clutch (not the clutch cable) any idea what it is?

·
Blood,Sweat N Beers
897 Posts
when i picked up my 97 katana 600. the PO said it would crank but wouldnt start. with the age of these bikes. the fuel lines will lose strength an crimp under the tank.. which will lead you to looking into carb issues.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
throttle cable. connects in between 2-3 carb. top side of diaphrams bottoms of carbs my 97 dont have those nipples on the bowls
Do you think i can switch out those bottoms and it be fine? They were posted as fitting 89-06 katana, now that I think about it that's a far leap between years and doesn't seem right.

Edit: just got an email back from the company saying this about the nipples on the bottom "
The nipples on the bottom are float overflow for cleaning out. They will bolt on directly to your bike without modification."

I said :" Ok, so I don't hook those 2 hoses up to anything? And those nipples don't get hooked up to anything either? I just need to know if those hoses and nipples need to be hooked up on a 96 katana."

They replied:"No they are just drains for easier cleaning. Don't hook up to anything at all. "

Does this sound legit?

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the nipples on the float bowls.

They are there so that you can hook up a small fuel line to the float bowl and direct the fuel away instead of having the fuel come out on top of the engine like your prior carbs with just the hole.

The two sets of hoses on the right of the image reminds me of California carbs for some reason.

·
The friendly Ghost.
13,172 Posts

14 and 15 are your overflows.
25 and 26 are the ones in question and are labeled (CA) Hose and (CA) Nipple. They should connect to a charcoal canister somewhere on a California bike for emissions. I would remove and cap where those hoses go in order to not have a vacuum leak somewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't worry about the nipples on the float bowls.

They are there so that you can hook up a small fuel line to the float bowl and direct the fuel away instead of having the fuel come out on top of the engine like your prior carbs with just the hole.

The two sets of hoses on the right of the image reminds me of California carbs for some reason.
thanks man! you think those 2 hoses could be for emissions possibly? i live in florida so they dont care about emissions here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just saw the picture and your other reply, awesome. thanks for all your help guys! i really appreciate it!!!
casper you said that that stray cable i have is probably a choke cable?

G

·
I missed this until now :oops:

it looks like you got there so all I can add is the carbs cant be from the range of years they were sold to you as because the vary is size from 31mm up to 33's for the 600 & bigger for the 750 etc etc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since the new carbs I have only have one fuel line rather than 2 (old carbs) would it be OK to cap off one of the petcock nipples and just run one or do I need to buy a newer petcock? :/

1 - 20 of 40 Posts