Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, New to Bikes and I just picked up my first street bike 2003 SV650 and I cannot get it started.

the person I bought it from told me it just needed a battery - went and got one.
before attempting to start I wanted to make sure it had enough cranking amps - tested at 403 amps.

Got home installed the battery, ignition in start position, flick the switch for fuel and push start. it cranked and then the lights shut out gauges blink off.
let go of the ignition, power comes back to the lights and the gauges.

from the people I've talked to (Bennett Auto and Advanced Auto) Suggested that I had a spark problem or a Starter problem

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Jay

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
no. Bike completely loses power and returns when I let go of Start

side note. after 20 attempts, I took the battery off to go get it tested again and the Negative terminal was hot...I said to myself WTF?
Sounds like either a short or a bad connection in the solenoid. Can it be push started?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
No success with a push start
Well take a look at the startervand solenoid. And also check the starter relay. The starter and solenoid can be tested at autozone and they'll do it for free. Then get a new relay just to be sure. They dont cost much. Then test your cables going to the starter. Make sure the connections are tight and not damaged. And check for corrosion. Use some Wd40 or a contact cleaner in all the connectors. This cleans and protects against stuff like that. Other than that does this happen right off the bat or it comes after a few turns.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well take a look at the startervand solenoid. And also check the starter relay. The starter and solenoid can be tested at autozone and they'll do it for free. Then get a new relay just to be sure. They dont cost much. Then test your cables going to the starter. Make sure the connections are tight and not damaged. And check for corrosion. Use some Wd40 or a contact cleaner in all the connectors. This cleans and protects against stuff like that. Other than that does this happen right off the bat or it comes after a few turns.

It happens right off the bat. I think It cuts off before it can even spark which leads me to believe it could be a starter issue.

While pushing ignition I try to give it some gas and still won't catch..

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
It happens right off the bat. I think It cuts off before it can even spark which leads me to believe it could be a starter issue.

While pushing ignition I try to give it some gas and still won't catch..
Getva friend or two to help. Push it with you sitting in it. Key on, 2nd gear, clutch in. push till about 8-10mph (10-15kph); then tell your friend to stop pushing then let the clutch out and i mean DUMP IT! That should get her going

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
K at lunch researching and I come across something that says the SV650 have a kickstand kill switch and will not start if the kickstand is down?

...something that hasn't even crossed my mind. Will try it tonight..

Last time I tried push starting indont think had enough force to jump it..

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
K at lunch researching and I come across something that says the SV650 have a kickstand kill switch and will not start if the kickstand is down?

It only cuts it out when its in gear

·
Registered
436 Posts

That switch "should only kill the bike when you go into gear with kick stand down my kat has this as well, but i found when i first got it my bike had a gsxr stand that does not press the button on the switch. So i zip-tied it temporarily til i fixed it permanently. Lol sadly that was the reason i got her so cheap :thumbup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K so I tried a few things. Jumped the starter relay. Kickstand kill switch. Jumped the Clutch switch and get trying to start it

All failed... Then suddenly it starts turning over again and again. Few attempts to start then finally comes to life... Sadly. It doesn't idle.

Was able to take it around the block a few times. Now new problem. How can I make it idle?

Bad gas? Needs spark plugs? Let me know

And thanks for everyone's $.02!

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
Should start if the kickstand is down. Will die if put in gear though.

I've seen where a bad tip-over sensor will keep it from starting. Might want to look into replacing that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Try to get it to a shop and have then sync your carbs and adjust your idle mixture screw only takes about 30-45 minutes and is worth every penny

That something I can do myself or is it advised i leave it up to a professional? I'm car savvy. Just new to bikes

·
Registered
436 Posts
That something I can do myself or is it advised i leave it up to a professional? I'm car savvy. Just new to bikes
Yes u can , problem is im guessing u dont have a synchronizer (kinda pricy). Google diy motorcycle synch guage. Cheap as hell and easy to make, 4 CLEAR beer bottles (thats the fun part), 4 of those rubber ends for canes&walkers(walgreens, rite-aid, any medical supply store.) Yes they will look at u like ur nuts wile ur tryin to fit rubber plugs on a beer bottle lol. A few feet of aquarium air tube(walmart $5) and automatic tranny fluid. Works great and only like 10 bucks if u dnt count the beer:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts