Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Full Combat Fighter
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 98 TL1000R not too long ago, have been riding the piss out of it. I put on some clip ons that I had lying around, and have been getting soreness in my hands, and my thumb and pointer finger tips having a tendancy of going numb on long rides (30 miles plus). I am seriously considering putting risers and a bar on, however the TLR has a very inconvenient location for the steering damper, right on top of the triple tree. If I want a bar, I have to ditch the damper. Question is, how much of a difference am I likely to feel riding? Is this a good idea?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I bought a 98 TL1000R not too long ago, have been riding the piss out of it. I put on some clip ons that I had lying around, and have been getting soreness in my hands, and my thumb and pointer finger tips having a tendancy of going numb on long rides (30 miles plus). I am seriously considering putting risers and a bar on, however the TLR has a very inconvenient location for the steering damper, right on top of the triple tree. If I want a bar, I have to ditch the damper. Question is, how much of a difference am I likely to feel riding? Is this a good idea?
30 miles is a long ride? I guess that makes me a touring machine doing 300 miles on Saturday. If you want to keep the steering damper and initially save some money, try flipping your clip ons before you buy anything. That is, left to right and right to left and upside down.

Goes from this:

To this:

It essentially gives you a preview of what it's like to use bars vs clip ons for free.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
TLS and TLR with dirty bars generally give you enough leverage to not need the damper anymore.

·
Registered
740 Posts
99% of bikes do not need a steering damper for typical street riding. I doubt you'd even notice it's gone.

However most of the time they're installed it's to try and cover up some other handling problem....worn tires, stem bearings, ect.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
TL1000S were recalled to add a damper because they had a very short wheelbase and abrupt power delivery for the time. This meant lots of unintended wheelies and headshake when landing. But like I said, most people have reported that with the addition of bars instead of clip-ons they have not had a single headshake issue without a damper. I would invest in a better rear suspension setup asap though.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
They're the most modern bike to earn the title "widow maker".

·
Full Combat Fighter
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I've heard that they mostly wouldn't be noticed, but am always skeptical of deleting part of a steering or suspension component.

Interesting, learn something new every day.
I have been trying to read into this, but the stock rear suspension is a pain to replace I hear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts