Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was originally posting this build to a virago forum but I frequent this board so I figured I might pick things up over here instead. I also hope to take advantage of the broad member knowledge base here since I'm trying to mix-n-match parts a bit. Here is a quick re-cap of what I've got going on thus far.

I started off with a fairly beat up sort of modified xv750 that I got for $300:

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/use...bums/v722/excellrec/20140313_172113.jpg[/IMG][/url]

I dubbed this build "Noodles" since the original bike had all the electrics hanging out of the side. The PO was working on doing something about that...

As you could see the seat was made for it and it was reasonably well done, so I decided to run with it. Most the rest of the bike needed something done to it though, so I disassembled the whole thing:

I bought a Triumph shock to replace the old one:

A ZX12r front-end:

Digital dash:

Cleaned up some bits:

Made a hugger with clay molding and carbon fiber:

And finally, as of a couple days ago, got a new steering stem machined to fit the ZX12r front end to the XV750 frame:

Now, as you might notice, the motor is sitting pretty low to the ground. For some reason I had just presumed that wouldn't be a problem since a lot of people were successfully fitting USD forks of comparable length to these frames. Well, it seems a bit too low for me. Ultimately I would like to ride this bike pretty hard on a regular basis so I don't want to deal with impractical ride height. Fortunately the motor is not wide at the bottom so I speculate that lean angle won't bee too much affected by the low height, more just issues with pot-holes and speed bumps, etc. I did manage to get about another inch of height out of it by messing with the arrangement of lock nuts and seals and so forth on the neck so I could lower the triple tree a bit, but it's still at about 3-3.5" at the lowest point of the crankcase to the ground.

Right now I'm wondering if anyone wants to chime in on the height issue. This is my first foray into heavily modifying the stance of a bike (I've worked on bikes a fair amount just not swapping around front-ends yet). I'm looking into diff. forks, possibly a stepped down triple tree so I can lower the forks. Or maybe just going with it.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Just thinking out loud here but what if you took the forks apart and made that plastic spacer above the spring longer by adding a stack of shims in there? Im pretty sure there is a thread around here somewhere where somebody cut that spacer to lower the bike, maby it would work in reverse?!?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just thinking out loud here but what if you took the forks apart and made that plastic spacer above the spring longer by adding a stack of shims in there? Im pretty sure there is a thread around here somewhere where somebody cut that spacer to lower the bike, maby it would work in reverse?!?
That might work if there was a lot of sag from load but the forks are pretty taught as is with the preload adjustment cranked down full load. If I started putting in spacers the front end would probably feel like a rock and get pretty skittish on the roads.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
I think you need custom upper clamps so you can scoot the legs down. You might have some lean angle, but that engine looks low enough to auger in on a hard bump. That's if the wheel doesn't hit the frame and send you tumbling down the road. You should pull the springs from the fork and do a sanity check.

Damn nice hugger there, and the rest looks sharp as well... just don't push your luck on ground & frame clearance, at least not without knowing exactly what you have.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
That's one cool looking bike! I love the proportions. Fantastic work on the hugger,too.

USD's are so irritating on older bikes with their short length. Just an idea here, but the bike looks great sitting at this level, even though it is kinda too low to the ground. So...how set are you on the sport bike rims? Because a pair of 19" spoked rims would raise the whole bike equally and , in my opinion, this bike would look killer with blacked out spoke rims.

Also, you can buy fork extenders for a lot of bikes. Maybe they are available for these forks as well. Typically they will only extend your forks about 1" or so.

Dang, that's a tough looking bike!

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Looks like you could also put in a longer rear shock without messing with the geometry too much. I would still look into a set of custom triples. Contact SEBSPEED. He does some custom machining and has done a few set of triples. He might be able to make what you need.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input everyone!

I think you need custom upper clamps so you can scoot the legs down. You might have some lean angle, but that engine looks low enough to auger in on a hard bump. That's if the wheel doesn't hit the frame and send you tumbling down the road. You should pull the springs from the fork and do a sanity check.

Damn nice hugger there, and the rest looks sharp as well... just don't push your luck on ground & frame clearance, at least not without knowing exactly what you have.
Yeah, that confirms what I was thinking. I want it to work but it's just too low as it is. I agree that a custom top triple is probably the way to go.

That's one cool looking bike! I love the proportions. Fantastic work on the hugger,too.

USD's are so irritating on older bikes with their short length. Just an idea here, but the bike looks great sitting at this level, even though it is kinda too low to the ground. So...how set are you on the sport bike rims? Because a pair of 19" spoked rims would raise the whole bike equally and , in my opinion, this bike would look killer with blacked out spoke rims.

Also, you can buy fork extenders for a lot of bikes. Maybe they are available for these forks as well. Typically they will only extend your forks about 1" or so.

Dang, that's a tough looking bike!
Thanks man! I love the look of it too as it stands. Bigger wheels would be an option if it weren't for the pesky shaft drive. That really limits anything I can do to the back wheel. Not to say that it's impossible, but I'm thinking it would probably just be too much trouble.

I was considering fork extensions but man, they just seem a little sketchy if you want to get into some real riding. For instance, there are these types of screw in jobs: http://www.guzzipower.com/store/Forkcap.html , but I hear bad things about relying on threads to hold a section of fork together. Then there are these: http://www.billetbikebits.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_16&products_id=86 , but those just seem like they wouldn't have the rigidity needed and wear loose over time.

Looks like you could also put in a longer rear shock without messing with the geometry too much. I would still look into a set of custom triples. Contact SEBSPEED. He does some custom machining and has done a few set of triples. He might be able to make what you need.
The shock I put in is, IIRC, about 1cm longer than stock. I'm not too worried about the rear though. I think I could come up a couple inches in just the front and still retain most of the look the bike has now.

I do have a request into Forking by Frank to see if they can make over length stanchions to plug into these forks. I would consider that a legit way to extend the length. I've never removed the bottom fork mounts off the stanchions though and hear they are kind of almost pressed in. It may not matter though because I'm not sure if people make longer stanchions for USD's, I'm thinking it's mainly restricted to conventional forks (e.g. Harley chopper types). Hopefully I hear back on that soon.

This may be a good time for me to get back to practicing in Solid Works to get a top tree design together. I'm on a fixed graduate student income so I'll have to figure a real cheap route to getting some machining done (I had to barter my way into the steering stem work). I may have access to a CNC for pretty cheap from a buddy around here. Do you guys know of some files that are good to work off of for triples? Ideally I would also like to retain the integrated bars into the triples since I already have the bars and that way they don't have to sit lower on the forks like clip-ons.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, I've got someone onboard to cut the top triple! I will, however, have to draw it up first. I've tinkered with CAD but it will definitely require a lot of my time. I'm thinking about working off an existing design by adding the drop I need and adjusting the rest to the forks and offset. Here are some designs I like:

Although the last one is real simple, I like that because then it would leave a blank canvas for me to integrate a carbon dash setup, or something like that.

The other ones would require me to think further ahead to account for that stuff now. I'm going to have a crack at manipulating one of those over the next few days and hopefully come up with something. Hopefully there are some CAD wizards around that can call me out if what I'm doing is either impossible to machine or something like that.

I'm also debating on whether to go with clip-ons or the bars I already have (the cheapest route), which would need integrated mounts into the top triple. I could also go with clamp on bars (not sure what the correct term is..), which would be nice in terms of comfortable riding, but would require me to get clamps, the bars, possibly get new stainless brake lines to reach the calipers.. probably the most expensive option.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
ive been looking at getting one made too. here are some of my fav.

i love how smooth the drop in the first one looks but i dont think you could get a big drop like that

the second one is just all in your face with it:rock:

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
These are made by dub performance, a french m/c builder. They are for sportsters running tube frame buell forks. I'd buy a set for mine but they cost a lot. lol...

I ended up picking up some ZX9 USD to replace the buell forks (eventually), because they are probably the longest usd forks around. IIRC they are 31" or so...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I spent more time than I care to think about learning how to draw in CAD, measuring and contemplating, and then came up with this design:

I feel alright about the look of that but I have no clue how doable it is going to be with whatever machine my friend is going to use. I have an email out to him about it so that he can tell me what will or won't work. I'm hoping I can get most of the way there. If I find out it will work for the most part I hope to make a wood mock up of roughly the same dimensions to make sure there aren't any major flaws in the design.

Now that I've finally spent enough time to demystify cad drawing so that I can make a basic part (presuming I've made something useable) things might start to get interesting!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still waiting on the top triple to get machined out and unfortunately haven't made a whole lot of progress otherwise. My scooter had gotten stolen and recovered recently so I had to work on getting that usable after it was pretty well trashed by the thieves. That's my daily mode of transportation on campus so it had to take precedence over Noodles. Definitely not what I'd prefer spending my time working on though.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I had no way to get welding done at home so I saved up and got an oxy/acetylene outfit. Last I had welded was in high school and frankly I sucked at it then. But, between reading and practicing a lot, I have been able to make a few useful welds.

Anyways, a couple basic things I've done:

The ZX-12 bottom triple had stops that required the stopper tab (I'm just making up terms here) to be extended out slightly.

So I took some steel bar and cut out a tiny piece conformed to the end of the stock tab:

Then I welded those pieces together and ground the weld.

My second bit of progress was on a frame mount for a steering stabilizer I got off a gsx-r or some such.

Took a bit of bar:

Cut out a tab to weld on (I later drilled and tapped an 8mm hole where the punch mark is):

Then I ground down the weld on the frame seam, welded on the tab, and closed the frame seam back up:

The damper will stick out a bit on the right but I don't mind. The general look I'm going for here is unkempt and practical, so as long as it works well I'm good. Unfortunately the ZX-12 bottom tree area diameter is 56mm and finding a clamp that diameter is near impossible at a reasonable price (i'm not paying 100 dollars for a stupid clamp). A word of advice to anyway looking to swap front-ends-- don't use the zx-12 front end, its got a lot of oddball dimensions that few other bikes have.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Re: "Noodles" Slow XV750 build

I never mention oxy/acetylene welding here since I figure it'd just get laughed at. But a set of torches is a FANTASTIC thing to invest in while building up your stock of tools. Most tools perform one job, but a set of torches perform three jobs very well: welding , cutting , heating to bend. Not to mention the random frozen bolt you're sure to encounter from time to time, brazing sheet metal, etc. Great choice man.

Sorry to hear about your scooter. Nice progress on this build though. Rock on

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Re: "Noodles" Slow XV750 build

I never mention oxy/acetylene welding here since I figure it'd just get laughed at. But a set of torches is a FANTASTIC thing to invest in while building up your stock of tools. Most tools perform one job, but a set of torches perform three jobs very well: welding , cutting , heating to bend. Not to mention the random frozen bolt you're sure to encounter from time to time, brazing sheet metal, etc. Great choice man.

Sorry to hear about your scooter. Nice progress on this build though. Rock on

trooth!

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Good call on the drop triples, a lot of racebikes use them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do love the torches thus far! Opened up a lot of possibilities in the garage. Main reasons I got them was because of the potential to weld almost anything and because I'm renting the house we're in and so I couldn't really wire the garage for enough electric to power a decent tig.

Couple thoughts I have on the torches so far:

-They impart a lot of heat during the welding process. Can make thin sheet twist like a pretzel if you're not real careful.

-Getting a reasonable weld on steel is pretty easy and you can weld some thick stuff (I've got a #5 tip that could weld anything I'm probably ever going to need to)

-Welding aluminum can be done, but it is tricky to do consistently and if I don't support it from underneath (especially real thin stuff) it always falls through on me.

-The cutting torch is a real hamfisted thing, they say you can cut steel over 12" thick with it (in case you're building.. a locomotive?) but it is not precise! I'm probably going to use the hand-grinder and cutoff wheel 99% of the time still.

-You can turn metal into play-doh in a matter of seconds. Bending steel to any shape I want just requires the torch, vise, and a pair of pliers. I'm still trying to get my head around all the cool stuff that allows me to do now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have been doing a lot of work on this project, but most of it hasn't been in the garage. Not too long ago I was looking at the motogadget m-unit as an alternative to the pile of relays and wires that I was going to have to deal with on this project. Yet, I just can't afford the $300 price tag. Since I've been looking for an excuse to learn Arduino programming for awhile I decided to create a control computer to replace most of the old electronics and make integration with different controls and led's easier.

Although its not much to look at, here is a shot of the arduino I'm using (the chip with the lit up green led on the breadboard). It's a nano, and pretty tiny by itself. I will be making a pcb for it which will include a 5v supply, high current relays with heat sinks, and whatever other caps, resistors, diodes and etc the circuit requires. Still, hoping it will be about the same size as the m-unit when it's all packaged up.

Once I've gotten this design squared away I will probably end up using it on bikes in the future, so all the development time now will be useful on other projects too. I'm also going to keep a usb port open on this so I can change the code whenever I feel like it. As I've written it thus far, the code has an alarm function built-in, automatic turn signal cancellation, headlight flasher, and whatever else I want to add. This type of setup really allows great flexibility for the electronics on the bike. Things I might consider adding in the future would be cell or bt communication and GPS. With that stuff I could do remote starts, remote turn offs, tracking, speed monitoring, route timing, or whatever else I could think of. In the future I could also add LCD display for all these things as a kind of dashboard setup. For Noodles, since I already purchased a vapor, I'm just going to stick with that for display purposes.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts