Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
No point wasting time so might as well glaze the tank.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Some mounting holes to drill and shaped as much as i can without fucking it totally...am pleased i didn't bin it off...thanks to Yan for suggesting skinning.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Just started to profile it as it was just a straight edge...fucking dremel dead after 5cm cut.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Definitely worn a mask for trimming the carbon and the body filler was nasty too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
New tool meant work done...profile much better. Even with a mask i could still smell the acrid smoke as the cutting wheel tore through the carbon. Reduced the wheel to half its size though!
Drilled a couple of pilot holes and will take measurements to.make some Ti or ally brackets.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
This my replacement Dremel...glad i went corded after my cordless shit the bed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Tank's coming along nicely...no pics yet. So, I thought I would order some Titanium to make the front mudguard brackets. Now, maybe I have gone over the top with ordering 3mm Grade 5 plate...but fuck me is it just as heavy as steel!?!! I was expecting it to still be super light. So, is 3mm too much...could I get away with less?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I think I may have finished applying filler now. So the task ahead will be a laying down some colour. As i am going for stripes...3 colours (see earlier in thread)...my Autistic brain needa to work colours i need to put down first and those areas that need masking off...i will work it out.
Presumably I will have to let each colour cure before putting the next one on? I have not done any painting like this before. Want to make sure I don't get ridges between each stripe. Any tips or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
BLACK BELT
6,973 Posts
Now, maybe I have gone over the top with ordering 3mm Grade 5 plate...but fuck me is it just as heavy as steel!?!! I was expecting it to still be super light.
Grade 5 titanium is 40% lighter than steel. So, close to half the weight.

If you hold a steel axle vs. identical titanium, the difference is amazing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Think i could have got away with 2mm Titanium perhaps Smoker?

So...seen a design on't web which is bkue and white...going to try and replicate it. How much does white show up any flaws!?!? I am never going to get this tank glass smooth so some minor ripples or valleys might show...just a little. I have taken 600 grit to the first wet coat to take out some of the obvious filler joins....will throw another coat and see how we go. If its shit it will be grey and orange. Or just bloody orange!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
After drilling the holes in the carbon muddie they actually turned out to be in almost the right place...can't detect it being skew-whiff...so will now plod along making up those titanium brackets.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Everything with this bike is a learning curve...thanks for the confidence vote.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
So i have had a stab at templates for the mudguard brackets. As the carbon version i made is shorter in height than the original i need brackets. I started with a stiff cardboard version and the quickly moved on to paper prototype 2 and then a slightly thinner cardboard prototype 3...thank you Weetabix.
And then...i realised that i was making a bracket for a motorcycle and not fucking dolls house...therefore prototype 4 entered existence.
Prototype 5 will be made from some spare ally sheet that will then be made out of titanium when i am happy with it. It will have speedholes!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Making brackets is harder than it looks doing it by hand and eye...anyhoo, i think I have a working item now. I ditched the first one as trying to put some curves into made it look wonky. So i cut out a rough shape and popped a hole in it and stuck a bolt in using the washer as a radius template. Quite successful i think. Now i am using the 1st as a template for the second. Need to check they work for the rear mounts and then i shall do four. If i had done these out of ally i would not paint but plain Titanium would look odd so they'll be black.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Me too Yan...but with my wonky eyes it's a bugger to keep it symmetrical. Once i have got two cut out i will try and mark out where a waist starts and finishes on one to give it a wee curve.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts