Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
With blue skies and a warm sun, work was fucked off in favour of doing work.
So i have tried to replicate the SV design...will see in a little while if i have been successful. My fear is raised lines between the colours but i read on a forum for model nitro cars to put less coats of of the top coat as it were and use a roller to keep the tape down and then remove tape and masks as it is going tacky..

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Happy with the tank outcome. I should fuck work off more often! There is a small area of bleed but I will wait till it's cured in a few days and use 1500 grit wet and dry to take off the bleed. Did something similar with normal A4 paper which worked a treat.
So i shall give the whole tank a going over with wet and dry brfore clearcoat, flatting and polishing before calling the paint done. Just gotta do a job on the seat unit but that will have to wait until i know how the new subframe is going to be etc.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Well it just wasn't good enough...pinholes could be seen and even using 3000 grit smudged the blue.
So i am going to go single colour on the tank and seat unit and a different colour for the frame.
Tomorrow's job is to sand back the glaze...gently trying hard not to fuck it up further then lay paint. If all goes to plan i can have both done this week.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Yep...we're going ORANGE for tank and seat unit. I won't be going black for the frame either.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Couple of coats later and i am thinking it's a really flat colour. So i am considering a candy or pearl orange, possibly slightly darker than what's on it. Opinions appreciated on either of these types of finishes as i am not looking for a 70's chopper look but something that will stand out a bit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Actually scrub pearl...its a bit too subtle. So between candy and metallic.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Trial fitted the front mudguard with the little titanium brackets i made and they look ok...just need to do brackets for the rear mounts and then spray them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Muddie now clear coated and is done other than the rear two mounting brackets. So i thought I would tear down the seat. Its from a ducati monster 1100 evo and has the plastic cover over the rear most part of the seat...not sure whether to use it or not. If i did it would be orange like the tank or i could leave it off and it would just be an alcantara black seat. Any opinions?
Put some suspension bolts in my go to rust remover...have got new ones but you never know when you might need them. Have tried evaporust and it was slow and the results poor. Rustins isnt cheap or available in larger bottles but it is brilliant stuff.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Bit more work...and with it a change of mind. 2K clearcoat tomorrow and then the tank is well on it's way.
I am a bit stuck with the fuel cap and where the spring and ball bearing goes...can someone tell me where and what order they go in please?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Guess my build will be a crawl rather than a stroll as i no longer have somewhere to build it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Thanks...i am very much intending to build a blockwork garage...maybe insulated, depends if the better half thinks i am worth keeping warm in winter.
The new garage will have a 3m x 2.5m extension where all the shizzle that dont interest me...lawnmower, gardening tools, etc...will be stored. So i will have the original footprint pretty much to myself...only allowed 2 bikes but will do other builds to sell. So this B12 build for the next few months will document the garage build...am so excited for a better workbench, tool wall, lighting that does, etc.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
A lot harder digging holes than i first thought...only a weekend away before the hardcore goes in.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts