Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Not another Bandit Streetfighter...

23K views 258 replies 15 participants last post by  remfanuk 
#1 ·
I will start off by saying that this is intended to be quite a long build as it gives me and my old man something to do in terms of a hobby. Having read lots of other projects I thought I might document mine also.

I have built a Moto Guzzi V50 racer previously and almost finished a restoration of a 1990 ZXR750...the latter has a frustrating fuelling issue that I will be getting a professional to look. In the meantime the Bandit build has started.

Attachments

See less See more
#200 ·
Yet again i am back pondering what to do in terms of subframe. At first i thought weld a new tube subframe although after putting frame slugs in there would need to be an immediate bend in the subframe to avoid a very flat seat. I think this might be too difficult.
So, i am thinking about doing something like in the photo by cutting the frame further back, weld something to close the gaping holes up and then weld on some 10mm tabs with holes so i can bolt the subframe on. I wont be doing the welding however.
Getting really stuck with this now...any clarity greatly appreciated...paint or photoshop for my simple brain might help or just links that pictorially make sense to someone new to fabrication.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

#203 ·
Wishing i hadn't painted the tank now...should have waited until mock up was complete. Doh!
I shall just have to be careful with it though it might have to wait a while due to a torn medial meniscus in my knee limiting moving about for fuck's sake.
And the bloody bike lift didn't turn up today...Monday they say...fucking brilliant.

#206 ·
Replacement bike lift arrived and working as it should...knee still fucked but could be worse.
Forks and front wheel in next. Need to do more sanding on forks as the slightly ribbed texture can be seen in places. Then they are gonna be polished but not highly so.
Then i can see if i cant mock up what the subby will look like. I have a better idea on how to do that now by purchasing tubes with different degree bends in them to find the right one.

#208 ·
Thats the next bit. now it's on its wheels and settled on the suspension i am going to try and work out what angle the seat needs to be at.

Very rough mock up today looked right but will have a better idea when i straddle it. Ordered some renthal medium superbike bars. Will be able to get an idea as to the height risers i will need and get them ordered. Not sure how easy that will be without something proper to sit on...any suggestions welcomed cos all i can see is me floating in mid air!

Will also know if my peg mounts are in a good position or not.

#210 ·
Aye it's taking shape. Been searching in the web for pre bent mild steel tubing...wish i had saved the bloody page now as i found a supplier who had various degree bends in lengths of tube. Anyone know of such a place please feel free to end my internet suffering...i just want to try different angles out.

#213 ·
Just be careful as a pipe and tube do not have the same OD for a given nominal size. That means the dies on a pipe bender are going to have a larger ID than those for a tubing bender. If you’re only doing small bends it may not matter but for sharper bends tubing may kink.

Later, Doug

#214 ·
Think Yan explained that to me some time back...good to be reminded before i go and buy one...however if i can find this place that sold pre bent tubes in mild steel for a short-ish length it would save a few quid. There's plenty selling stainless, mostly for exhausts but i need mild. It did cross my mind to see if there’s anything made from carbon fibre out there...probably a good reason why i ain't seen no carbon subframes on the net!

#216 ·
So i have done a little mocking up for seat angles etc. Thinking top rail is only like 10° and the bottom 25°...this might change of course when I try it for size.
Not sure yet how long the tubes need to be as I don't necessarily need the subframe right to the very edge of the back of the seat. That will depend upon the location of the rear light and winkers.
Any comments as to any pitfalls i may not be seeing appreciated.

#217 ·
So in my quest to find suitable bent tube someone came up with what they can offer.

My measurements for the top rail is 38mm OD, 3mm wall thickness and the bottom rails are 31.5mm OD, 2mm wall thickness.

The supplier is offering 38.1mm OD, 2.64mm wall thickness and 31.75mm OD, 2.03mm wall thickness all CDS which they say is stronger than mild steel.

Before i go ahead i would appreciate your advice, views, knowledge etc if the smaller wall thickness, specifically, will be an issue.

Thanks guys.

#218 ·
My measurements for the top rail is 38mm OD, 3mm wall thickness and the bottom rails are 31.5mm OD, 2mm wall thickness.

The supplier is offering 38.1mm OD, 2.64mm wall thickness and 31.75mm OD, 2.03mm wall thickness all CDS which they say is stronger than mild steel.
I looked up automotive racing roll cages from a big racing product store here in the US (Summit Racing). Most of the cages they sell are 1.625” (41.3mm) x 0.120” (3mm) in DOM mild steel.

What your supplier is offering for wall thickness is overkill for a subframe. 0.65-0.83” (1.65-2.1mm) would be fine IMO. Maybe Yantosh can chime in?

Later, Doug

#221 ·
Thanks Yan...will put some pics up when tube gets here...sent guy a crap drawing to know where to stick the bends...if all goes fuckery i shall be in touch with you to rescue me!
Tell me more about the threaded bungs idea please amd the rose joints...remember my brain doesn't speak engineer...visuals better. I did originally want a detachable subframe but didnt think i could pull it off. I do have a professional welder on my team should i need one.

#225 ·
doing it that way, weld the nut to the round bar, drill through the nut, then tap through the nut, to give one thread. Or drill the round bar, use the tapping drill to align the nut while welding and then tap through the nut.

either way, tap through the nut after welding

#224 ·
My Renthals turned up so just clamped them on the top yoke to see what height risers i will need...looking likely eother 30mm or 40mm. I am gping to try and perch myself over the bike in some kind of seating position, get my motorcycle hating wife to take some photos so i can get an idea visually and by feel whether the peg mounts i made are too far back...if they are i have some wiggle room to adjust.
Whilst i wait for tube to turn up i have been given a propane garage heater i am going to give some love to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.