Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Just call me goose.
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier this summer about a project of mine, HERE

Since then progress has been slow, but I have kept a semi-detailed progress log over on Buellxb.com HERE

Progress has been very slow. I have had minimal tools available and had been working out of a small storage container most of the summer. I have just went through a major move and now have a decent workshop to work with so things will progress a little smoother.

Since I have started I have changed directions slightly and am at the moment more concerned with getting the bike on the road rather than completing the build. Now that I have a heated workshop I can do a lot over the winter to get the bike to where I really want it and can get the wheels on the pavement until the snow comes at least.

Expect the meat and potatoes to come along this winter and small things for now.
I'll try to keep this thread updated as I progress.

Here is a little teaser of how the bike as it sits as of now,

·
Super Moderator
5,664 Posts
Daym man that front end received a proper hit! Never seen a shock tube cracked in two. I`ve witnessed first hand a CBR 1000F flipping 1,5 somersaults in the air landing to a ditch and even that didn`t cause that much damage to a bike that weighs the same as a minivan. Glad to hear you walked away! How much did you win from the lottery next round? :D A bit of a custom here to go get a ticket after something like that...

Reactions: heagachongoose

·
Just call me goose.
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some updates. Taking a new direction now. This will be much more fighterly than the original plan.

It's getting there. Still nowhere near done but some progress. A lot of stuff is yet to be done.
So far,
Reassembly lol
1190rx front suspension
1190rx front wheel
EBR rotor
HMF muffler
Modified tail section
Firebolt fairing stay install
Radiantz LED tail light

To come, have the parts, just need the time,

1190rx upper race fairing
Dual vertical projector headlights
1190rx Airbox cover
1190rx subframe
1190rx SBK tail
Modify HMF muffler (9in shorty)
3/4 fairing fab and install
GSXR 1K Nissin M/C's
Clean and re-finish

And probably some other stuff I forgot.

I'll consolidate some pictures to this thread. It's getting there.

·
Just call me goose.
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back apart. Waiting for the mailman.

EBR subframe installed. Now to make the undertail/baseplate. Most likely 12g ss sheet. I also have to figure out the VR mount as the 1125 harness does not reach the EBR mount. Probably will just extend the wiring.

SBK tail is in the mail.

·
Just call me goose.
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're pretty fragile in certain situations. You can't press bearings into the wheel or it will bend. But in any other situation they're plenty strong enough. Extremely lightweight as well. Aluminum construction. A good few pounds lighter than the already light 1125 wheel.

There is no hub. The perimeter brake rotor eliminates the need for a central hub thus allowing all support from the axle to the rim to be purely structual and hold zero load while braking. It's pretty meticulously engineered to be as light as possible through removing any excess support material not needed in sever riding conditions.

It's just as sturdy as any other oem wheel while mounted.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Cripes, that tail is %100 better!

Slims the whole bike down a lot, nice change...

·
Just call me goose.
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been awhile. I've been very busy attempting to keep my head above water between my final semester of my undergraduate carreer and work. It's been hard to find the time to get in the garage. Today I managed. I also came up with a name for my project. I thought it an aptly appropriate play on words to name my project, The Dead Horse. Seeing as Buell is dead and gone in the form of this bike. I'll be making some tank decals to go along with it. Similar to the Buell pegasus but with a horse skull instead. It's the little things.

Here are a few shots of what I got done today.

·
Just call me goose.
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well thanks!

Zx14 MC's came in today. Should be the last piece to the puzzle. With the oem MC units turn rotarion was limited to about 10° with the new fairing stay setup due to resevoir clearances.

These units will significantly improve feel and response as well as switching to the remote and smaller resevoirs.

·
Just call me goose.
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Installed and now have a different clearance issue. The throttle cables are routed under the oem brake MC, it's not a matter of just relocating them either. I will have to replace the throttle tube housing entirely, possibly the switch housing as well. Hopefully not. An r6 throttle housing and tube is on the way. Along with having the geometry I need, the r6 unit has a significantly shorter throw to it. We'll see if I like it or not.

·
Just call me goose.
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Updates. Upper fairing officially fitted and installed. Windscreen modified and refitted for better clearance. R6 throttle didn't work out, so working on something else. Seat pad fitted, paint prep beginning while I wait for the necessary parts to button up the controls.

Finished up the drafts for the emblem design.

Not sure which one to go with.

A few shots of the progress.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts