Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy as this may sound,it's too easy to go fast on this bike. :( Let me explain...

I picked this bike up at Mid Ohio swap meet on July 19. It was geared funky (retired track bike) and had old tires on it. When we got back in to town I just left it at my buddies shop until I got all that sorted out. I just got the bike back home Saturday evening...finally!

I had made a couple conjugal visits while it was at the shop and putted around town some. Maybe 10 miles. Sunday,I got my gf on the back and we rode for about half an hour before it got dark. Needless to say,I'm not used to the bike yet.I've been riding a stock '76 CB750F.

This bike is a '80 CB750F. Forks are CBR 1000. Rear susp is stock,slightly raised. Brakes all around are CBR600 and it has 17'' Hurricane rims. Not state of the art,for sure,but light years ahead of my current ride :D The motor has been bored to 823cc and has 11:1 compression and is running 900 rods. 750 head ported,"HD" springs and Ti retainers. Cams are stock 900 pieces. Exhaust is stock. I'm sure that has it corked,but I like the sound and quietness of it. When the PO retired this bike from the track he slung stock pipes on it so he could leave for work at 5 am and not piss off his neighbors.<-Whatever...oh,and the trans and clutch are from a 900 and is using Barnett frictions and springs. It really is a great running bike,even with the pipes like they are.

Riding on 17'' tires is amazing compared to my old 18'' & 19'' Shinko 712's. :D I put Pirelli Diablo Rosso's on this bike. 110/70-17 & 140/70-17. Was supposed to be stock sizes for the CBR rims,but I think I'll go up a size next time it needs rubber. They look a little small and it's a heavy bike. I think it oughta have a little more rubber up front.

And here's where the disappointment comes in: The power of this bike is HUGE compared to my old bike. There's one side of a mountain that I used to run up at 60 mph in 5th gear. Towards the top it got steeper and I'd knock down to 4th to maintain 60. Never dropped below 35-40 mph in the curves. But with this bike I just run 5th all the way to the top. 70-75 with ease and 45+ mph in the turns. No downshifting at all,just roll on the throttle and go. Boring.

I've only gotten to ride this bike about 50 miles by myself and I'm already on the middle lean arrow on the Rosso's. I'm not trying hard to lean the bike,just getting used to it still. But I'm easily carrying an extra 5-10 mph in every curve than I did before.The center stand drags real easy-it's gotta go. Some turns with rough pavement I'm running as much as 15-20 mph faster! The rear suspension on this bike just soaks up the bumps,whereas my old bike would skip around. I had gotten pretty used to my rear occasionally sliding out on me.It was fun actually. Used to scare my riding buddy :D:D

Anyway,long story short...this bike is too easy to ride fast.. I know it's nothing compared to alot of the modern stuff out there now,but I've been wanting one of these bike for a long time now.I absolutely love the styling of them. Finding one with updated susp/brakes was like a dream come true in a way. I bought this bike waaay cheaper than I could build it. Purchase price+ new chain/sprockets+new tires+ DMV= ~$2K. That's pretty damn cheap IMO :D

I just kinda miss manhandling my old SOHC around. :( Fighting the rear skipping around on me. Watching the next curve reeeally close cuz my brakes were admittedly weak and feeling them fade towards the bottom of the mountain.Feeling the forks bottom out on hard downhills....the whole thing. I used to hit the mountains and go home wore out. Arms tired,ass sore,fingers cramping.lol. Now I can run harder than ever and I'm not even trying. Hell,I'm not even comfortable with the bike yet and I'm still going faster!

I dunno,but does that sound crazy? I've been coveting a DOHC F for a long time and finally get one. It runs strong as hell (to me) and just falls into the corners....but I'm disappointed. Y'all ever ran in to this issue before?

Pics of the new ride.I'm not crazy about the front fender.

Bike had USD's and one point and he dented the tank for clearance. :( Not crazy about that either.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
I grew up watching the greatest of the greats race superbikes through the 90's, always wanted one, always... then I got one, and then another, and rode a bunch of them, and I never got the thrill I expected from them. Even ridden at the ragged edge, head shaking and power sliding, it never held a candle to taking a bike that was perceived slower by all measure and wringing the things neck.

Got rid of my 900RR due to the inability to use anything the bike was good for. Any time I cranked it up and started enjoying it I realized I was trying to go knee down at 120mph on sweeping corners and fighting massive rear wheel chatter and huge head shakes when the thing was being throttle stopped through the twisties. Just not a good time to ride it hard enough to work for it in my opinion. I'll take my DRZ on the 18/21 tire setup and stock brakes before I even go back to a full on race replica or even anything above 80hp.

I've already begun making plans for what I'm gonna buy after I sell the turbo Bandit... if that is any indication of not caring for a bike you can't really use on public roads. :(

BTW, that CB is beautiful. :)

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
one huge reason why i parted ways with the bandit

we live on back country roads tired into small towns. it was so so easy to get going 85mph

i did it so much that 40 or 50 just felt unnatural.

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
Just take it easy with her, nothing is sweeter then two running bikes

shift into 5th.. a lot i use to cruise in 5th so if i would really roll on the power hard the bike would accelerate very slowly.

going though the gears is asking for trouble man haha, it just wants to build and build and build speed. that thing looks like a monster, (and its sweet to boot) just treat her as such.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
That's a beautiful bike man. I know what you mean since I own a 81 but without all the upgrades. These bikes are a blast to ride. Just take it easy and get used to the monster and you will love her!!

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
That fender is butt ugly. Looks like you are heading to the salt flats with that thing.

It sucks when a bike you have been longing for isn't as fun as you had expected. All that build up, and then boredom. I wanted a ZRX1200R for the longest time. I drove 4 hours to pick one up, trucked it home, changed out the tires, and headed out. WAY too much power. I could never go wide open, even off the line. It replaced a SV650 and I enjoyed wringing that bikes neck every day. The ZRX was the first bike I could lay all the way over and scrub the chicken strips off, but it lacked thrill. Sold it in 2 months and went back to what I enjoyed the most.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Motor swap with your old one? And fender IS fugly. :D
Funny you say that. I know some people would hate it, but I know where I can get my hands on an old T 100 for a good price. This motor would be a hoot in an ol' Limey. :D

Glad I'm not the only one thinking like I am. I used to feel sorry for my '76 after a hard day of riding. Felt like I was beating it to death but she just keeps on singing. I love that damn bike. This bike just does what you tell it to and never fights back. I'm excited and bored at the same time. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if I built it myself and was enjoying the added performance due to my own merit and ideas.

Honestly, it kinda has me bummed about my current build. Its got me thinking :"Do I really wanna invest all that time and effort into another bike that is too easy to ride? " Sucks.

Thanks for the compliments guys. It'll be a great bike for longer trips I guess. And it actually has a seat for my gf to ride (which she loves) so I imagine ill keep it. Probably. I suppose I'll just keep my old slow, under powered, non braking, bias plied, tire skidding sohc for when I wanna drag some pegs. ;)

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Just a Squirrel
185 Posts
i hear you on the older less powerful bikes.my 90 cbr 600 is soo much fun to chase guys down in the twisties and have them walking around my bike wondering how im keeping pace with them through the corners when they are on much newer FI bikes. but i got a 2005 636 and it is fun to ride but like ratty said its a little too easy to try and go knee down at 100+. but its that feeling that has me pushing harder to finish up my 90 cbr 600. my thinking is if you have a bike that you want to do some..... alot of upgrades to and you have a 2nd bike tear the project down and put in some major work. thats what ive been doing to my cbr. havent rode it since Dec. and its starting to make me itch a little to get it back on the road.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
Ill Trade Ya...

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Gotta have two bikes. Seems to just be the dilemma I've faced for all my life. :D

Posted this to facebook the other night after getting home from a ride on my DRZ400S/SM convert.

Anyone ever grab a hand full of a throttle on a slower bike and think to themselves, "I wish this thing was ripping my arms out of the sockets and trying to flip over backward!!!"?. Happens a bit to me. I think the turbo 1200 will make me cry for mercy and beg for my 400 back.

We all get that itch, but in reality I find that it's easier to just own two machines. :thumbsup:

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
Gotta have two bikes. Seems to just be the dilemma I've faced for all my life. :D

Posted this to facebook the other night after getting home from a ride on my DRZ400S/SM convert.

We all get that itch, but in reality I find that it's easier to just own two machines. :thumbsup:
or 5.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
2 bikes! 2 bikes! Bro gotta have 2 bikes! Even if ya don't always ride em it's just nice having 2 bikes

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To me, it sounds like you have an almost attachment to your 76. nothing wrong with that. It may be the perfect bike for You.
She was my first!:shocker: I really do love that bike. I don't see me ever selling it.

Hopped on the new bike to go in to town and pics up some parts for the El Camino today. Kinda liking it more.At least I have this to ride now so I can do some much overdo maintenance on my '76. It really is nice having two bikes.How much ya wanna wager I bust my ass when I get back on my '76? lol

My gf told me I was being a bitch about this.

"Aw,shut up. You wanted it and now you got it. Stop whining like a bitch"

:LolLolLolLol: I love that girl...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts