Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would put up a build thread for my new project bike. This really isn't a fighter more like my 900cc road racer. I picked this mess up for a few dollars for a fighter build. Then after getting it home I decided this will be more of a rebuild with some mild slimming down a 900.

The bike was a lower cbr900rr that had been in a low speed crash. Mostly cosmetic damage. So here's how it sits on the stand right now. Waiting on new body parts to get here. Going with stock plastics on the front then. Building a custom subframe and a Honda rs125 tail. It has a polished frame and swing arm pm wheels fox twin clicker shock ractech front springs. I just rebuilt the forks and added the springs. Raised the bike back up to stock.
So this is my start. This bike has to be ready for July because the family vacation is then and I will be riding deals gap if anyone wants to come down and ride.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Let me know when you head to the Dragon. I'm about 3 hours away.

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me know when you head to the Dragon. I'm about 3 hours away.
Will do and when did you move there. I maybe moving to Nashville in the next few years. And I used that triumph front fender I got off of you years ago on this bike. Lol

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
I might be down for the Dragon as well. I live about 20 min outside of Nashville so let me know if you come down here and we will ride. Looks like you have a great start

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After I'm done with the dragon I'll be riding to Nashville after that to my sister in laws place. Or actually Dixon Tenn. So if you wanna come up and ride and then ride back to Nashville I'm down. Then after a night there I'll be heading up to cincy Ohio.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Will do and when did you move there. I maybe moving to Nashville in the next few years. And I used that triumph front fender I got off of you years ago on this bike. Lol
Moved almost exactly a year ago. Needed less winter in my life. Glad that fender is getting some use, even if it took 3 years. Lol

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Moved almost exactly a year ago. Needed less winter in my life. Glad that fender is getting some use, even if it took 3 years. Lol
It was for another bike that got sold because some guy made me an offer that I couldn't pass up. When he picked the bike up I hung the fender on the wall.

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Little sneak peek of what it will look like. Picking up some welding gas this weekend so I can get start building the new subframe. I should have my computer back up and running so I can take some better pics. Hoping to be painting in the next week or so.

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish I would have done the 98 headlight now that I see it with the 95 on it. I stripped the 12 layers of paint of the new gas tank and primed it. I have about 4 dents to work out but for what I have in the tank I can deal with some small dents. The stock tank was crushed on the left side.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I wish I would have done the 98 headlight now that I see it with the 95 on it.
i kinda like the 95 fairing on it. i think u made a good choice.

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had to take a break because of other projects. But now I'm back on my build. This is being done on a slim budget. And really want a stand out bike. And thought I would try my hand at doing carbon wrapped parts. So I thought I would start small. But now I'm going with all the small parts front and rear fender and the gas tank. Here are some sample pics still need to do the resin and clear coat but you get the idea.

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another update I got the new subframe built for the new tail. Used 3/4 and 1 inch thin wall square tube for the frame and round 3/4 inch tube for the attach point on the bike and body work. I still have to make a few brackets to hold all the wiring and battery. I tried to keep this as small and light as possible and when the tail is on you only see the 2 small vertical brace bars. Keeps the rear nice and clean.

·
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I'm not much for doing build threads probably better at just doing before and after shots because I'm not much for sitting on my computer. But started Getting things done on this poor bike this weekend. Fixed the dents in the tank and started laying down some paint on the body. When the kids go to bed tonight I'm going to start wrapping the tank in carbon fiber.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I don't know if you've started in on the carbon for the tank yet, but it may help out a lot going to a black base coat before the wrap. Assuming you are using real carbon and resin, I actually couldn't tell different from the above pics.

When doing just one layer there will be gaps in the weave so your base color will show through. You'll end up seeing small areas of primer grey. If you do two layers of fabric it will help with that. Or like I said lay it up over a black background and you won't see too many of the gaps in the weave...

Or if it's vinyl...Fuck what I just said and wrap on... :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts