Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little over a decade ago Honda released the CBR1000RR and I thought I've gotta get one of those NAKED! I was turning wrenches at the local Honda dealership and got to see the potential these bikes had underneath the fairings, but living on mechanics wages I couldn't afford the bike. So I picked up a 1998 CBR900 and stripped off the fairings and loved it, till I traded it off for another bike that wasn't nearly as impressive in an attempt to keep my wife from becoming a widow.

Fast forward to today CBR1000RR'S are plentiful and cheap and I have a better job as well. I almost bought 1982 CB900F café racer, but just couldn't let myself take a step back words from what I am used to performance wise with the my old CBR900. I decided on a 2005 CBR1000RR, I knew it was getting the fairings off so I picked up a bike that had been tipped over with busted up fairings for pretty cheap. In the meantime while I was bike hunting I fell in love with café racers and brat style motorcycles, I just can't get over their minimalist looks.

The goal with this bike is to get the performance of a CBR1000RR and blend it with the style of a brat/café racer.

Here we go...

Attachments

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
yer boys look happy sat there .I remember when mine used ta do that LOL .Nice find ,good project gonna follow this beastie fer sure .GL mate

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
this is looking promising! Them H/Lamp brackets are awesome!

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Nice job on the coolant overflow!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My bike came with some heinous pink footpegs, I think they were red in another lifetime, so I stripped the anodizing. The trick... 2 tablespoons of sodium hydroxide (lye) in a half gallon of hot water soak the parts for a half hour then scrub clean with a scrub brush. I also tumbled them in a solution of citric acid to make sure to neutralize the sodium hydroxide, be careful with this stuff it will literally eat your flesh.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys, I think I like the designing and building as much or more than riding.

What I could really use is a wiring diagram for the 04-05 CBR1000RR now that I'm to the point of hiding and rerouting the electronics. Anyone have a pdf copy they'd care to share?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Guilty as well, I'm afraid.

Did you make those headlight mounts yourself? Those really look great. Sturdy and clean.
Thank you glad you like them, I did make those, they're made from a piece of schedule 80 2" pipe and 3/16" stock, removed a 3/16" slice out of the pipe vertically, welded on the tabs on each side of the gap, then filed sanded and polished. They're sturdy and kinda heavy, I think you could probably stand on them and they wouldn't budge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm trying to decide on an exhaust system, right now the bike has the stock headers a slip on two brothers muffler, and with my plans for the subframe an undertail exhaust just won't look right.

I thought of buying a nice stainless steel system designed for the 2005 CBR1000RR, but I figured I'd have to modify it to a side exit and likely not use the can at all. Then the thought came to me the CB1000R uses the same motor as my bike why wouldn't a system made for it work for me? Maybe move a mounting tab of fab a bracket to attach the can to the foot rest at most. Anybody see why this wouldn't work?

Here's a picture of the Arrow Exhaust systems.

Attachments

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Why don't ya just chop the exhaust somewhere between the peg and the front of the rear tire? Clean, out of the way, and loud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why don't ya just chop the exhaust somewhere between the peg and the front of the rear tire? Clean, out of the way, and loud.
That's a good idea. Part of the reason I was wanting to go with an aftermarket header was to get rid of the little cats in the stock header, at least that's what I think those two little odd ball sections in the header are, and the stock header looks like crap.

I kind of like this vintage look, the cone muffler finishes it off nicely.

Also how do I make these pictures show up bigger, not thumbnails?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts