Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm really thinking about doing a number plate for my gsxr and taking off the busa headlight. But I want it to be backlit, so it would be acrylic, maybe smoked, with edge lighting from the bottom or something.
But I can't figure out what to do with the headlights. I like this:
http://www.freespirits.it/it/blog-hd/712-mascherina-portafaro-per-sportster.html
but I've been wanting to do an LED projector array headlight for a while. What I really want to do is an array of like 8 emitters vertically on the right hand side of the number plate, which would be lit either white or yellow. I've got a plan for the projectors: 3/4" half ball lenses and an emitter with a reflector, then have a custom piece in the middle with a cutoff that connects them. It would be a pain in the ass to align each one, but it would look awesome. Thing is I don't have a 3d print head so no way to make the middle part. I could get it printed but the cost of it all would get a bit high.
So I've been thinking about compromising, maybe just keeping the bottom light cutout like in that link and ditching the top one so the numbers don't have a huge hole in it, and then running a white LED COB strip on the right side of the plate as a position / DRL.
I dont know, just tired of thinking about it so maybe writing it down will help me move on.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Means chip on board. White LEDs are a remote phosphor application, they are actually blue LEDs and the yellow phosphor over the top creates the other colors (green, yellow, red) when excited. That's how you get different color temperatures, different amounts of phosphor. Anyway, COB means the leds are in an array underneath a continuous phosphor so it looks like a glowing strip instead of individual emitters.

http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Water...&qid=1459899678&sr=8-1&keywords=cob+led+strip

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
You beat me to it.

Kind of the same idea as the LED light strips but the whole strip lights up and you can't see any individual LED's since they much smaller and have many more tightly packed together. They come in all kinds of different sizes.

If you have seen any of the new LED flood lights, they use COB LED's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts