Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Brand spanking new to the forum. Don't hate me im sure im gonna get all sorts of shit for this but i am exhausted from searching everywhere. I just bought a 2007 650r ninja. (yes i know not alot of power older bike) just wanted a new toy for a cheap price. Anyways, just got it, stripped her down and tossed all the plastics. Headlight, mirrors, brake lines and some other odds and ends just showed up. So finally to my question, Unplugged the OEM headlights and ready to wire up my new headlights, OEM wiring has two wires going to each headlight, my new headlight also has two bulbs, but has three wires coming from one bulb and two wires coming from the other? Kinda stumped me, Ill be the first to admit im not a genius im sure its an easy answer, just wanna make sure. I think one of the three is an unnecessary ground? ...Second and more important question, Im not having issues with finding an aftermarket speedometer, theyre everywhere, im just wondering about the plug and play friendliness of speedometers. The one coming off is digital and id like just a simple round small compact digital speedo to take its place. My question is, what do i do with the wires coming from my OEM and how do i connect the aftermarket. Thanks for dealing with my stupidity guys. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
First off, welcome in. Swing by here and say hello. Post a picture or two of your bike.

Second, I'd guess you have on bulb that's high/low and one that's just high. See if you can find a wiring diagram somewhere on the internet and we'll get it sorted out. It's almost certainly not an unnecessary ground.

Third, many aftermarket speedometers use a magnet and pickup for speed, and then splice into your existing harness for all the dummy lights. Tachometers seem to be tough to get to match up regardless of what non-stock gauge you use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill work on some pics! ive got some pics i can use to explain the wiring too that ill try and put on here, the only reason i thought it might have been an unecessay ground is that wires from the bike to bulbs are good, maybe the aftermarket headlight just provided extra wiring for different applications? Just not sure. Ill work on the pics on here. So if i get a digital universal speedo, i can just plug it in? Or am i looking at wiring some extra stuff? Sorry im seriously handicapped with electrical. Ill work on the engine all day, but can barely change a light bulb.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
There's really no such thing as plug and play in most applications. If you can find an aftermarket unit specifically for your bike then you'll be fine. Anything else will require reading the wiring diagram to figure out what goes where.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts