Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the bike about a year ago and have been using it on and off for the past year and its now time for a new rear tire so I thought I would have a go at doing it myself, first off I removed the valve core expecting a sudden rush of air, absolutely nothing came out. Now I have kept an eye on the tire pressures using a garage forecourt machine and they have always been stable I got out a small allen key and poked it in the valve stem and cleared a blockage then I got out the pieces of wood to break the bead placed them on the tire and under the jacking point of the car and with a little effort (masses of grunt) the bead popped and all this lovely goo started to leak out. It turns out the previous owner used some goo in his tires to seal any punctures he might have picked up. Anyway I got the tire off no problems just very messy, cleaned the rim up and couldn't believe what I found, the valve is a bolt to the rim type and there was very little of it left, it was purely the corrosion that was holding it in place and maintaining the tire pressure, now I dont know if this goo had caused the problem but I am hoping it was as who ever fitted the last tire must have checked it I would hope

Tree

Tire Hand Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
323 Posts
It is amazing how many people use things like tire slime or fix a flat and expect it to be a permanent repair

·
Premium Member
50,500 Posts
that shite is just that~ SHITE! Glad ya was able to get yer bead busted without warpin yer rim mate .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts