Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently swapped a gsxr 750 into my kat 600. I took all case covers, the oil pan, and the valve cover off to inspect before running. They didn't seal because of the age of the gaskets when I put them back together.

I've used rtv to seal a VC gasket on my 600 no problem in the past, but was wondering what everyone thinks as far as using it on case covers and oil pans on these motors?

I would leave the gasket in place, since it is basically glued to the motor at this point, and clean it and skim with RTV to seal it. I would likely use "the right stuff" as I've had really good experiences with it in the past.

Thoughts?

·
2,779 Posts
not sure what RTV is (guessing some sorta instant gasket?)

But I used silicone sealant on both the badly cracked rocker cover & the damaged side casing gasket surface on the original engine I got with my 750. Never leaked in the two years I ran that engine:D

·
2,779 Posts
Room temperature vulcanizing
at first I thought you were making a referance to some obscure mental disorder that causes you to think your Leonard nimoy should you enter a comfortable climate controlled environment.......

.........but now I just feel stupid:doh:

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
yamabond, honda bond or 3m 1194... its the best for those applications

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've used permatex ultra blue on my lower trans case and oil pan. No leaks here after 400 miles. I was recommended it by a friend

1 - 12 of 12 Posts