Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was riding for around 4 hours today and all was well for the first 3 hours then my oil light popped on WTF? We were riding hard through some nice corners no light then while we were cruising down i95 the light popped on. It would be on them go off and come back then go off. It only came on while cruising. I opened her a couple times to some stupid speed and had her running in high rpms through the corners it would be off then go to cruise and bam oil light.

I checked the oil last night it was fine and i changed the oil less then 500 miles ago. With Mobil 1 10w40

Anyone know why this stupid little fucking light keeps coming on? It's really pissing me off.
O yea 99 r1

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I unhooked all the indicators on my 76 a long time ago and.just went.to an oil pressure and temp gauge. I noticed that my oil temps are higher cruising at 55+ MPH than under any other condition. Beating it to death in the mountains has never produced the same amount of oil temps as cruising down the highway does. Of course, I'm talking about an air cooled CB 750, but sustained rpms seems to make the most heat for me. I rarely go past 160-170 riding HARD, but on the highway my oil runs about 190-200. Ambient temperature seems to have zero affect either. Hope this helps...somehow.
Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't remember if I used a fram or a k&n this time

And shiny yea it only came on at cruising. When I was beating on it the light would go off

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
weird. check the sensor connections... i have a stand switch going bad. bikes in neutral but you put the stand down it goes off

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's only got 22,3xx I got it with just under 20k a little under 2 months ago

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does the oil light on your bike indicate a low oil level condition or an overtemp condition?
You know what that's a good question. I'm going to look through the manual today

And I also remembered that its a K&N filter tyats on there but I didn't change it this because I change my oil every 1k-1.5k miles I only change the filter every other oil change.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I did a little more research and its oil level light. Also found out that it is a common problem. I'm going to put just a little oil in and see if it makes it go away

·
Registered
740 Posts
If the oil level is to the top light in the sight glass, don't add more. Older Yamaha's all had oil level switches, which are as useful as tits on a bull. Plus they're usually in the front of the pan, so under hard acceleration all the oil sloshes to the back and the sensor is dry, tripping the light. It's not unheard of for them to just go bad and randomly light also. You can safely ignore them.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok that makes me feel 100000000 times better. It's just my head you see a light come on then i keep thinking I hear a noise that's not really there. It's just 1 of those little things that annoy the shit of me.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea it's the it looks like the only flaw yamaha has ever made is a faulty oil level sensor it seems to be a common issue all the way up to 03 so I can live it.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That must have forgotten the people like me who's winter is better riding season then the summer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.