Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before we get started here I have to say my '00 Gix 750 is my first "real" street bike, but I'm no dummy when it comes to wrenching

Anyway I know these are high revving motors but the thing seems to have plenty of power down low too...

...so I'm wondering, Is it better to have it in a higher gear and low rpms when traveling at say 55-6mph? Or would it be better for the bike to be in 4th or 5th at the lower speeds?

Also I've been hearing a slight "click" sound sometimes just as the clutch begins to engage, Is this anything to worry about?.....the reason I ask is because when I first got the bike back on the road the primary nut that holds the clutch on came completely off!! It was still in the clutch and nothing looked damaged so I just spun it back on...well actually it cross threaded so I snugged it up with the rattle gun and figured "it'll probably never come off now"

·
Registered
740 Posts
This is a question that comes up a lot among car and truck communities....

The general answer is that it varies hugely depending on the machine. Use the highest gear you can reasonably get away with. Using a very low gear and carrying a ton of RPMs just wastes fuel and in the long run, extra wear on the engine. On the other hand lugging it around pinned in sixth at low revs isn't ideal for the engine also, much higher strain on the piston and rods.

Just feel it out. If the engine is really lugging and nothing really happens when you roll on the gas shift down. An easy 55mph cruise your bike should be able to pull sixth and still have decent roll-on acceleration. Now if you're tearing up a curvy road and need more power to pull out of corners then sure, click down a couple gears and keep the revs up high, but puttering across town there really isn't a need for it.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks! Yeah it has no problem rolling on in 6th, the last owner put a bigger sprocket on the rear, not sure why...

·
Registered
740 Posts
It's pretty common to gear down streetbikes. Often the factory gearing is selected more with fuel economy/emissions per mile in mind rather than performance. One of those things that's easy to help the OEMs get by regulation, but they know is easy changed by the end user.

Very rarely do people max out the top end of sportbikes, pure flat out speed isn't that important since you almost never get to use it. It's much more practical to have stronger acceleration across the rev range and sacrifice a few MPH on the top end.

Usually it's a fairly minor change, -1 in the front or +2 in the rear are both pretty common and generally speaking account for a 4-6% change, which is definitely noticeable to give extra oomph, but without adversely affecting fuel mileage or making the engine scream on the highway.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i run -1 front +4 rear with a 190/60 rear tire so it rides like -1+2 because of rollout. if im not engaging in motorcycle jackassery i usually leave it in 6th unless im under 35ish. or if im in heavy traffic.

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
If you want low revs and lots of torque get a twin.

Personally I just use the gears depending on how I ride.

I think this is a bigger problem in cars as small multi valve engines are shite at low revs so they are now putting 6 gears into cars.

·
Registered
740 Posts
A Harley 1200 makes around the same peak torque as a R1, albeit at a lower RPM. Estimating the hawg peaks at maybe 3000rpm out of a 5500rpm redline, and the R1 peaks around 8000 of a 12000 redline. Percentage wise it's about the same, just that "off the line", twins have more torque to offer.

Oh gee whiz I can do 20mph in top gear with my 1900cc v-twin because I'm too lazy to be bothered changing down.

I always thought all the yammering on about "torque" from the cruiser crowd was just excuses for why their bikes have such large engines and are yet so slow.

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
A Harley 1200 makes around the same peak torque as a R1, albeit at a lower RPM. Estimating the hawg peaks at maybe 3000rpm out of a 5500rpm redline, and the R1 peaks around 8000 of a 12000 redline. Percentage wise it's about the same, just that "off the line", twins have more torque to offer.

Oh gee whiz I can do 20mph in top gear with my 1900cc v-twin because I'm too lazy to be bothered changing down.

I always thought all the yammering on about "torque" from the cruiser crowd was just excuses for why their bikes have such large engines and are yet so slow.
If you want to a trailer get a HD. If you want to plow a field get a HD.
If you want to go fast get 12,000 revs.

If you want 50mph speed limits and no bends?

Get a HD

·
Registered
740 Posts
If you want to a trailer get a HD. If you want to plow a field get a HD.
If you want to go fast get 12,000 revs.

If you want 50mph speed limits and no bends?

Get a HD
Don't forget gratuitously revving the shit out of the engine at stoplights, Harleys are excellent for that as well. If you do that enough on the big inch ones, they engage super road dildo shake mode, since they turn off the rear cylinder to "manage heat" at idle. If you thought the idle was crap running on 2 cylinders......

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love bashing Harley's, it's just good ol fun:laugh:

I do alittle bike repair on the side and there's a couple guys at work that get pissy when I say I won't touch harleys

1. Because Harley's wiring is crazy diffrent from the japs
2. Because most of those guys are so anal about their bikes I'd be afraid to breath on it

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.