Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 5k more or less to play with, I'm checking out this very nice 99 r1, has ohlins damer and forks, it is a perfect bike ready for a show, 20k miles on it not bad. I think I'd be doing real well to snag it for 4.

What would y'all grab for around this price in your area?

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
too much. 99 carbed r1s are cool but no more than 3k with top of the line mods.

05ish zx10 is what id go with if i got that cash. or safe a little more and get a bmw.

are u certain u want a liter bike? if so, zx10 or cbr. 06-07 cbrs can be had for about 4500 in nice shape and will be the most violent thing u ride, i love it. if u can swing 08 money, do it theyre a little more tamed but also lighter, i think Crystal Skull said his was like 10 pounds heavier than the r6 so thats pretty impressive.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
To ride or to fighter?

That works out as about £3k in the UK.....

Ride: 749 (it'd be tight on that money but do-able). Won't depreciate and i can get something else in a year if i don't get on with it. Always liked 'em.

Fighter: XJR1300 maybe.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
too much. 99 carbed r1s are cool but no more than 3k with top of the line mods.

05ish zx10 is what id go with if i got that cash. or safe a little more and get a bmw.

are u certain u want a liter bike? if so, zx10 or cbr. 06-07 cbrs can be had for about 4500 in nice shape and will be the most violent thing u ride, i love it. if u can swing 08 money, do it theyre a little more tamed but also lighter, i think Crystal Skull said his was like 10 pounds heavier than the r6 so thats pretty impressive.
His bike is hot, Id love to have it; 10lbs is barely anything, when'd r1s go cross plane? The prices where you live are amazing, got a room for me to come stay and pick a bike up? Haha I'm lookin at dropping around 5 for a newer (05+) good shape 600 which puts liters at 6500 and up. I might should wait a few months but screw it I gotta ride now! I need a clean untouched reliable bike before I get back into fighters

But nah it doesn't have to be a liter, if I could find a 600 for the right price I'd snag it; also been lookin at at an 05 buell 1125cr after a guy let me take his 02 for a spin, it pulls hard.

Last May I saw a (working, good condition) 1996 Ducati 900 SS posted at $3450. The other $1500 would go to gear, tires, and track fees. :)
That would be a pick right there, I've seen a 04 multistrada for a little under 4 it was nice but not quite what I'm after.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
His bike is hot, Id love to have it; 10lbs is barely anything, when'd r1s go cross plane? The prices where you live are amazing, got a room for me to come stay and pick a bike up? Haha I'm lookin at dropping around 5 for a newer (05+) good shape 600 which puts liters at 6500 and up. I might should wait a few months but screw it I gotta ride now! I need a clean untouched reliable bike before I get back into fighters

But nah it doesn't have to be a liter, if I could find a 600 for the right price I'd snag it; also been lookin at at an 05 buell 1125cr after a guy let me take his 02 for a spin, it pulls hard.

That would be a pick right there, I've seen a 04 multistrada for a little under 4 it was nice but not quite what I'm after.
I do actually. Come through bro

·
Registered
740 Posts
R1 didn't go crossplane until recently, think it was '10 or '11.

Watch out on the older yamaha's for second gear. Smash it in second and see if it jumps into neutral. They only used 3 dogs on the gear so they are less tolerant of abuse, the dogs round off and it starts slipping out of gear under hard power. Seen a LOT of older r6 r1's with second gear issues.

For 5k you can find a nice first gen Z1000. The values are lower since it's not a "true" literbike, there's good examples around me for 3-4k. You still get an honest 115hp to the tire, they're easy as shit to work on, and mine runs a true 150mph. Good stable chassis too. The motors are bulletproof, and parts are pretty easy since a lot share with the original 636.

Really the only considerable "known issue" is the fuel pump on 03 models. They get weak and have low pressure, which usually manifests as the bike falling on it's face if you wind it out for more than a second or two. Aftermarket motor cartridges are available on ebay for like $50.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Couldn't answer the question until it happened.

I'd have the can ready and keep looking and waiting until a good deal turned up.
They always do if you do enough homework and put the effort in.

3 of my bikes weren't what I was chasing, but were too cheap to walk past.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
Id be hunting for the best deal I could find. Honestly if you wanted a good deal wait until about mid Dec when everyone is desperate for Christmas money and that bike that they cant ride at the moment looks like a quick pile of cash.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
Last gen ZX7
Last gen ZX9
ZX12
CBR900RR
CBR1100xx
Speed Triple
Daytona 955i
Street Triple
any Buell XB
09 and up R1
Tuono
first gen Multistrada
any of the big Monsters or s2r or s4r
Hypermotard
Bandit 12
98-01 VFR
XR650R supermoto
WR450 supermoto
Vmax
Most of the other bikes mentioned are "better", but I like bikes that have style and soul.

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Last gen ZX7
Last gen ZX9
ZX12
CBR900RR
CBR1100xx
Speed Triple
Daytona 955i
Street Triple
any Buell XB
09 and up R1
Tuono
first gen Multistrada
Hypermotard
Bandit 12
98-01 VFR
XR650R supermoto
WR450 supermoto
Vmax
Most of the other bikes mentioned are "better", but I like bikes that have style and soul.
I've owned 1 bike on that list, took 5 for a ride and I'd like to someday own 7 of those bikes. That's a good list!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Get this one. Just gotta talk him down a bit. You can do it.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/4545285518.html
You'll have the prettiest bike on the side of the road.

Vmax is a bike with a lot of character, but in that scary, gonna kill you sort of way. The engine massively overpowers the chassis. Most examples now when put on a compu-trak are misaligned pretty badly from engine torque bending the frame over the years, which leads to incurable speed wobbles if not re-aligned.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I got a buddy with a pretty nice 2001 929 for $2,200. Needs chain and sprockets, right hand mirror ,brake lever and there's some superficial damage to the swinger where the chain jumped off. Runs great and very minimal scuffing on the paint. About 30k miles iirc. Holler If you're interested. I can put you in touch with him.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Last gen ZX7
Last gen ZX9
ZX12
CBR900RR
CBR1100xx
Speed Triple
Daytona 955i
Street Triple
any Buell XB
09 and up R1
Tuono
first gen Multistrada
Hypermotard
Bandit 12
98-01 VFR
XR650R supermoto
WR450 supermoto
Vmax
Having a supermoto would be awesome especially around here, nothin but backroads and wild country. Great list though, a street triple or buell xb would also be a great bike.

I got a buddy with a pretty nice 2001 929 for $2,200. Needs chain and sprockets, right hand mirror ,brake lever and there's some superficial damage to the swinger where the chain jumped off. Runs great and very minimal scuffing on the paint. About 30k miles iirc. Holler If you're interested. I can put you in touch with him.
Thanks dude I preciate it, but really it's a little higher mileage than I'm hunting, I'd like to keep it under 20k. Really I'm hunting a clean non-wrecked low mileage bike. I'm not against buying a bike needing sprockets/tires but anything else is a big turn off just because idk what all has been damaged/replaced.

For 5k you can find a nice first gen Z1000. The values are lower since it's not a "true" literbike, there's good examples around me for 3-4k. You still get an honest 115hp to the tire, they're easy as shit to work on, and mine runs a true 150mph. Good stable chassis too. The motors are bulletproof, and parts are pretty easy since a lot share with the original 636.

Really the only considerable "known issue" is the fuel pump on 03 models. They get weak and have low pressure, which usually manifests as the bike falling on it's face if you wind it out for more than a second or two. Aftermarket motor cartridges are available on ebay for like $50.
Actually I was checking out a z1000 at a dealership the other day in mt pleasant, it would be perfect but they wanted 8k+. It's a very nice bike, lots of power with more every-day oriented ergos. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if there was a clean one for the right price.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've seen 2013 leftovers for $8300 around me. I've been pretty tempted.

The gen 1 models were 2003-2006. Most I see on craigslist are between 3-4k. The styling really cleans up with some smaller blinkers, bar end mirrors, tail kit, and getting rid of the color-match wheels.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Without further adieu I present my road banana, 04 gsxr 750; just call me the banana man. Has power commander, carbon fiber tire hugger + mirrors, full yoshimura exhaust (header/slipon), steel brake lines, billet aftermarket rearsets, adjustable dog bones, new chain/sprocket. Other than that everythings pretty well stock and it's a great running bike with 20k miles.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Forgot to mention the most important thing! the price! it was $3,200. I'm in love with it, it has the agility of a 600 but with a lot more grunt; it pulls hard while also riding butter smooth. I need to lower it though, the guy I bought it from is 6'3 and had raised the height so much that I can't even get close to flat footing it.

I'm curious as to what numbers it puts to the ground though, how much difference does a power commander and full aftermarket exhaust normally increase the power of a 750?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts