Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
7,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I'm calling this bike "Old School" is because I want to keep the skinny OEM wheels and toothpick forks. I have some interesting mods planned, but probably won't be doing much, until the other project bikes are done.

Triumph front calipers. Will rebuild before painting

Tricked out the OEM wheels with new cush drive dampers, new bearings & seals, Ariete 90 degree valve stems, black weights, aluminum rear sprocket, new rotors and stainless hardware. Also mounted some sweet rubber that I've never seen on an RZ350.

The new front rotors let an unpainted part of the wheel show - so, I blacked it out. The red paint is OEM 1987.

·
BLACK BELT
7,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pulled off the OEM clip-ons and tried some adjustable clip-ons.

I was able to match the dimensions of the Renthal handlebar on my other RZ350, but not really feeling the look. It'll do for now - but, I really want some tiny custom triples.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
FIRST! Before this grows into a 600 page long epic build complete with a change to a complete custom frame, one off forged magnesium rims, full carbon fibre bodywork, and an engine that makes the SpaceX Falcon 9 look like a tin pop boat. Why did you go for the Triumph calipers, Smoker? They're nice, but they're not smoking good, you know?

·
BLACK BELT
7,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FIRST! Before this grows into a 600 page long epic build complete with a change to a complete custom frame, one off forged magnesium rims, full carbon fibre bodywork, and an engine that makes the SpaceX Falcon 9 look like a tin pop boat. Why did you go for the Triumph calipers, Smoker? They're nice, but they're not smoking good, you know?
There are very few choices of calipers that bolt onto the '87 forks without using adapters. The Triumph calipers should have plenty of stopping power for this bike - and at least they were made in this millennium. :D

No plans for titanium hardware on this bike, just stainless and aluminum.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Funny how you mention no titanium, but I didn't say anything about titanium. I'm taking this to mean that my prediction of magnesium wheels, carbon fibre bodywork, and bespoke frame will come true. YOU CAN'T DENY IT NOW, MAN!

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
One of the first things I learned when I joined Custom Fighters was to subscribe to any active Smoker build.

It could be nothing more than stop motion footage of Smoker digging and then refilling the same hole over and over again, and it would still surpass anything I've done in my garage.

·
BLACK BELT
7,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the first things I learned when I joined Custom Fighters was to subscribe to any active Smoker build.

It could be nothing more than stop motion footage of Smoker digging and then refilling the same hole over and over again, and it would still surpass anything I've done in my garage.
Thanks, my dude - but you know what happens.

To dig one hole, I have to resarch every digging tool known to man. Then come the soil samples, and measuring, and remeasuring, and lots of calculations and changes to the hole design. I can't even start the hole because some guy in Sweden is making a one-off shovel and he's waiting for a new file...etc., etc.

Meanwhile, my neighbor has dug 10 holes with his Home Depot shovel. Not perfect holes - but perfectly acceptable.

I'll just keep plodding along. :D

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Damn how do you always find the best bikes to build. I'm in on page 1 and ready to read the next 60000 pages of perfectionist building.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts