Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if you would consider this a street fighter project or not, but I can tell you this is a cool bike. I purchased this 86 RG500 from a bike shop in CT, the shop was selling it for the owner. In a world where you cannot find a reasonable price RG I could not resist this basket case. There were no secrets on the condition of the bike, taken apart and left in the basement for 20 years, did I mention the basement was flooded. The first couple of photos show the bike as advertised in Craigslist, the parts on the bike were just put on to show it was a motorcycle, this was a true basket case. I have been working on it for about 2 years now (in the two years been also work on my 1928 rat roadster pick up, new kitchen, 69 vette). I have decided to go with a rat look on the RG as I have with the 28. Mostly because the money. I got lucky on the engine, one piston let go after it ate the friction material from the rotary valve. I did pull the rest of the engine down to the cranks to be sure there was no other damage. Forks rebuilt, brakes rebuilt, shock rebuilt and a lot of cleaning and plating. As with most basket cases all of the parts were not included. But it was fired up this winter, sounds good even though it was just running on three cylinders (it run on four now). Video of the first start https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzqU1NOpGW8

Attachments

·
BLACK BELT
6,973 Posts
It's hard to tell what's going on with the pipes.

Good pipes for that bike aren't cheap - but probably the most important parts for getting the bike running good.

You on the 2-stroke websites?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
what a small world, yes.
I'm going to assume that was directed towards me... :D

The choice of hard wood flooring was the tell tale sign, that and it's a pretty odd ball bike that doesn't come around too often. In the upstairs show room there's usually some cool pieces. And with certainty what's up there is the tip of the ice berg.

Back before you could hop on the computer and get any used part you were looking for shipped to your house within a matter of days, Strictly Dirt was the go to source for used parts in my neck of the woods. I live about 20 mins or less from there, and at the time had a 95 KX250 that was an ex-woods racer. The horde of parts that shop had (or has still, I don't know for sure... because of well, the internet.) was amazing. If something broke on that bike I'd go there first.

Once I started riding street I hadn't been back there much though. One of those cool old school places that are a dying breed...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Rg500mike,

Was going through the forum looking for Rg500s and came across your post. Love it! Do you still have the bike? What does I look like now?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
BLACK BELT
6,973 Posts
Hi Rg500mike,

Was going through the forum looking for Rg500s and came across your post. Love it! Do you still have the bike? What does I look like now?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
The date of each post is right above the post itself.

rg500mike hasn't posted for over 5 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts