Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got roughly one month to do whatever I want where ever I want in the continental US. For bikes, all I have that's ready to go at the moment are supermotos. I've got three to choose from but still, all I've got are supermotos.

How horrible of a idea is it to ride a supermoto from WI over to the "The Dragon," then south for Daytona Bike Week, take the super long bridge to Key West, then west through Alabama and Mississippi and into Texas where I can ride the "Hundred Mile Loop" (RR335, RR336, RR337), swing through Vegas, and play around in California. Then go back east through Utah and Colorado without going north until maybe Iowa or Illinois to avoid the cold as long as possible. So that's the plan I've come up over the last two hours. The whole trip is only going to be 8-9k miles. Maybe up to 10k if i make a few detours. Hopefully you guys can help me figure out where I should and shouldn't go, what kind of weather I'm likely to run into, and other info you think I should have.

I dont have a passport so Mexico can't happen which sucks because I'd LOVE to ride down the Baja peninsula. Especially on a supermoto!

So that's it. That's my plan. I can't leave until March 6th because of a doctor appointment but then I'm free to roam. My birthday is March 23rd and I'll be turning 23 this year so this is going to be one hell of a golden birthday. Sure beats the plan I had a few months ago of going skydiving.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Dude, if you make that run on a supermoto you are a freaking iron butt legend. I could make it about 50 miles on my drz before I had to get off the thing and walk it out for a while, that would make one long as hell trip like that...

And for real, go skydiving... There is NOTHING that can compare to that, single most amazing thing I have ever done....While strapped to another dude.... :) :fu:

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Maybe I'll go skydiving in Florida. Think I could see the Atlantic ocean and Gulf of Mexico at the same time? That would be pretty neat.

Longest ride I've done on a supermoto was about 3.5 hours straight.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
do it.

fuck that on a sumo tho. was supposed to do a 500 mile round trip on the drz but ended up driving cause it was sleeting that whole weekend. then went for my usual nice ride out, about a tanks full worth of riding, i couldnt feel my cheeks or tailbone... in conclusion, im glad i didnt do the 500 mile trip on it

·
0.o i didn't do it
1,892 Posts
Dude, if you make that run on a supermoto you are a freaking iron butt legend. I could make it about 50 miles on my drz before I had to get off the thing and walk it out for a while, that would make one long as hell trip like that...

And for real, go skydiving... There is NOTHING that can compare to that, single most amazing thing I have ever done....While strapped to another dude.... :) :fu:
What else have you donenot so amazing..while strapped to a dude, sounds very odd n gay. On topic... Sounds like a hellva trip! Good luck

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
400 miles on my DRZ in one round had me aching (literally) to get off the bike half way through, I would invest in changing the seating on a sumo to something far more comfortable if you do decide to take it a on a trip so long. Wide seat and tall gearing, that's all I can suggest if you do decide to do it. ;)

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gearing I can probably take car of before I leave but the wide seat probably wont happen uhh bless your brother is willing to do a custom seat in the next two or three days.

I was talking with my dad and now he is coming along. All he has that's ready to go is a enduro (xl650) so now we are thinking put the bikes in the back of the truck and ride them when I get sick of being cooped up in the truck and when we get to our destinations. We've added a few more possible stops and made a tentative schedule for everything. With how its looking now I might be spending my birthday blasting through Nevada or Utah on the Duke. Maybe we'll tweak it so I spend it in California. Still have a few more days to plan but it seems like we'll likely just end up winging it. Probably plan two maybe three days in advance at best. I'll post some details of the route later this weekend.

One thing I never thought of that a friend suggested is that I should buy a truck while I'm down south and then throw the bike(s) in the back and bring the truck home. I'm looking for a project truck or a late 20's early 30's two door sedan project car so I might have check the local Craig's list for all the city's we'll be going through. Still not sure if we should bring the enclosed car trailer. If we do we could possibly sleep in there for a few nights to save motel money. Like I said, still have a few days to plan this.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of an airhawk brand seat cushion or something like that so you can still strip it off the bike and blitz the twisties too without having the seat get in the way. Not sure my brother could turn around a seat so quickly either, I believe he has a few jobs and some house work on the table at the moment too that would prevent it.

The idea of taking a truck with the bikes in the back or in a trailer would be ideal in my opinion. You never know what you might encounter and as fun as it is to jump off a cliff without looking, sometimes it's better to think ahead just a little bit and make sure you are taking a calculated risk. :)

When my old man died in 2012 so many dreams and plans just disappeared. It was like everything I had been looking forward to, all the work I had done to make my end of things to make it happen was just gone. My will to travel just burned out and at this point I just don't care to see the world on two wheels if my dad isn't there to see it with me.

Seize these moments and hang onto them with both hands, Mike, there is only so much time, and before you know it you'll be your fathers age looking back on the fondest of memories. My best days with my dad were spent riding together. Although we didn't get to do the longer trips we talked of, we still got to spend those moments where it isn't just father and son, it was brothers via the connection of two wheels and the road ahead. Keep adding to that collection of memories and stories, some day you will cherish them in ways you can't even begin to imagine at this very moment... great, now I'm welling up with tears. lol. Seriously go for it man, it'll be one of the best vacations you will ever have no matter how much of it goes sideways or doesn't seem to line up with a plan you make in advance. ;)

·
10,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm more excited about the trip than my dad. Probably because I dont realize just how tough racking up those miles will be. He's done a lot more long bike trips than me so I'm relying on his list of things to pack. It has been a while since he has done a trip of this caliber though so hopefully there wont be any huge hiccups.

Speaking of jumping off cliffs, anyone know of somewhere to go base jumping or bungee jumping? That would be awesome to go bungee jumping into the grand canyon. :LolLolLolLol:

We will for sure be putting the bikes in the back of the truck. I'm planning on bringing both KTM's and my dad will bring his XL650 this way if one dies we'll have a backup bike. Monday morning I'll be bringing the bikes into the garage for some quick fixes, some maintenance, and a final once over. Still have to repair some stuff on the one KTM after the head on collision last Fall.

As for planning we've got everything up to March 13 figured out. We'll be leaving Florida on the 13th so we'll probably just keep heading towards Texas until we get tired and then start looking for a motel. Hopefully we'll be in Louisiana at that time. Things didn't work out with my mom flying down to Florida to spend most of the week with us. Would have cost another ~$1500 for her to join us for that.

Only 3 more days until we leave! I'll be working on the bikes tomorrow while my dad will be running some errands. I'm still debating if I should buy a new GoPro camera for the trip. Some quality video of the Dragon, the Snake, Daytona, the Keys, Mojave desert, and the coast of California would be neat. I figure I'll want it later this year when I do a track day so no time like the present right? I'm hoping we'll have everything prepacked by Tuesday night so Wednesday is just putting it all in the truck and strapping the bikes down so we can hit the road right away Thursday morning. I REALLY hope I dont have to order any parts for the bikes since it will have to be overnight shipping. The XL650 probably wont be too bad but getting parts for the KTM's will probably be hell.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Post up the route for sure if you guys are going to hitting the dragon and then taking I95 south I live like 10 minutes from 95. Maybe you could swing by and see the project. It'd be great to meet you and if you guys need a place to crash for the night my house is open. I live right by the SC GA border Daytona is about 3 maybe 4 hours from me. Shit the dragon is 5 hours I might swing a trip up there to ride it with you guys. Let me know when you'll be there I am really thinking about making that trip. And if you're on the dragon the Catalina skyway (I think that's what it's called) is in the same area and beautiful ride with LOTS of twisties.

I'll check my local CL for a truck you're looking for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts