Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey CF, I've been itching for a motorcycle for 5 years, ever since I learned on & rode my buddies 2002 Yamaha R6 when I was 18 . Its taken me FOREVER to get a bike, simply because it was not the "right" time to take on another loan or cough up several thousands of dollars for a toy.

I live in PA now (from south florida) doing work as a sleep technologist and luckily my co-worker was getting rid of his 2002 bandit 600 with 5K miles for just $900. I told him I wanted it and he dropped it off the next day to "Look at it". As soon as I had it in my garage I knew I wanted it, despite it being a heavy large feeling bike(those fairings made it feel HUGE)

anyways, as soon as I told him I wanted to keep it... I started to browse CF, and within hours, I starting fucking with it- I havent even really rode it really.

Anyways, now that I got that out of the way I wanted to share my latest modifications I've done to it and plan to do to it.

The day I got it:
Bandit looks like a great addition to my driveway, if i must say so myself

|

friends helmet was thrown in for free, but its all dinged up- certainly I will be buying my own.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Started to take apart some fairings and familiarize myself with the bike... now remember, I can barely turn a wrench. This is going to be the project that teaches me how.
I learn all my skills this way, trial and error. My entire garage, lights, cabinets, tables, etc. was built by me with the help of my dad's instruction via Webcam. All that stuff was woodwork though, and I was on the appropriate forum for that stuff, too.(http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125436) Now I'm on CF-learning bikes/turning wrenches.

I notice the bike feels much smaller, that front fairing really adds size to this bike. Already ordered helmets, 2012 zx6r subframe/fairings/seats,taillight,pasenger pegs. It got pretty pricey, but I keep telling myself that there's no way I could've bought a better bike for the cash i've spent thus far (pretty true in my area)

The main modification on this bike will be the tail swap to the zx6r bike. Other minor mods will include exhaust, and front end. After all is said and done I can FINALLY ride!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been lurking ebay for most all my parts... managed to grab these vortex clip ons 41mm (NIB) for 99.99 shipped.

I immediately you-tubed some videos to show me how to do the swap. It was pretty straight forward

sadly... :(.... I stripped the bolt by over-tightening the clutch bracket to the new clip on.... so now the clutch is kind of ...loose rather. -__- not sure how to fix it without swapping the bracket... but im sure theres a way, I'll look later.

edit: god I hate that stock triple-tree... I may have to grind those nubs off that stick out on top in order to fit the oem gauges back on...or something...hmmm

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Time to fuck around with something small... decided to get the zx6r taillight all wired up and working.

As I look at the stock zx6r taillight, i notice the stock bandit plug wont fit into it ( obviously)
Being a total noob, I sought out a forum member, Gixxer (awesome guy, btw),to give me his input on how to go about getting the taillight working.

All I did was use female connectors that fit into the prongs in the zx6r taillight, and duct tape the gold prongs to make sure they don't contact/touch and blow a fuse. Not sure If that's an acceptable way to do it , but it works now. Didnt really know how to use a multi-meter also, but I called my dad and he explained.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My tail fairing came in. Here it is just sitting on the existing subframe...cant wait to cut that fucker off (pic is before I swapped bars for clip ons)

looking at other threads of tail swaps on teh bandit, everybody makes the cuts as pictured below (red indicates the cuts, white rectangle indicates the lug thats welded on)
I guess Ill follow for the most part...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rigged the old projectors to with custom brackets i learned to make on this site. Its not perfect but its pretty solid.

Projectors look pretty nice after I painted them with black gloss engine paint. (hope that works with the temps)

Also ordered a buell xb9 windscreen to complete the look! (that little piece of plastic is pricey! and hard to find...jeez)

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Congratulations on the bike and welcome on...

I like where this is heading already man, keep it up!

You need to buy some electrical tape lol... And heat shrink tubing.. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congratulations on the bike and welcome on...

I like where this is heading already man, keep it up!

You need to buy some electrical tape lol... And heat shrink tubing.. :)

I got some electrical tape; whats the heat shrink tubing for (feel dumb :( ) lol

is it to cover/enclose wires? I assume u heat it and and shrinks lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got some electrical tape; whats the heat shrink tubing for (feel dumb :( ) lol

is it to cover/enclose wires? I assume u heat it and and shrinks lol
yes, it is cover the wires. same function as electrical tape but make cleaner look. Comes with different colors which match wires.

Thump up on ICON Airmada. I owned the ICON airmada medicine and love it after first ride. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I assembled the fairings and guessed which bolts went where. I don't like these newer " multi-piece fairings" ...

I noticed I am missing a tray underneath ( i think fuse tray? ) It sits underneath the passenger seat...hope i dont need it really. (probably not, since my bike is customized anyways)

I also noticed I don't have the locking mechanism that goes on top of the passenger portion of the subframe (circled green)... i hope this doesnt prevent me from attaching the passenger saddle/seat.

From just looking at the curvature/pitch of the subframe/tail, in my head I already foresee a "gap" when it comes time to bolting it up to the main frame... wondering how I will cover it.

ALSO- I started prepping the bike for this thursday (welding time) ... I still have to cut/grind down the existing subframe to fit the new one.

I had to remove the airbox from the frame... omfg, what a PITA... i felt like such a moron struggling to remove it, but apparently its a common issue.. why would suzuki engineer it this way? I wish i could put individual pods and be done with, but I dont want to mess with "rejetting the carbs" at this point- so i have to keep the stock airbox for now. I Don't wanna overwhelm myself with re-jetting, etc. I also moved carbs and battery/wiring harness out of the way.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bad news.

got my buell windscreen in the mail.... its much larger than I thought. I had to move my headlights downward to make it fit how I wanted.

I also started making custom brackets for it, my OCD got the best of me. It was slightly crooked, barely.. and i tried to bend the aluminum brackets while it was screwed into the windscreen....yeah, and it broke. I literally spent 65$ for this windscreen, only to break it in 20 min.

im so upset.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

anyways, I'm going to try and salvage it or cut it. If it looks like shit, Ill just move my headlights way up on the forks, and cut some aluminum to make a mini windscreen, then spray paint it. Kind of like this:

what I REALLY want is something that looks freaking complete.
I dont want to mess with the stock wires, so I'd like to keep my stock projector housing, but its so freaking big. I wonder if it will fit inside a mask?, maybe if I make the cuts a little larger?

1 - 20 of 305 Posts