Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there fellow motorcycle addicts.

This is going to be a build thread for the current daily rider project. Its a 2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000. Going to be in full plastics, still going to have the big ol' saddle bags, but I'm going to do some upgrades and custom work for this bike. Add some fighter touches to it since it will be a daily all weather rider. Once I have my own house I will be pursuing another 900rr to being a fighter out of, but for now I just want to ride.

For those that don't remember, I hit a deer back in September on my DRZ400S and ended up waking up in the hospital. Not going to lie, I almost left this sport/hobby altogether but the addiction and people who I know kept me to it. So then the search for a more comfortable bike started and the suggestion came to look into a sport/touring Concours. Big, powerful, comfortable, and reasonable prices on craigslist. Plus this a comfortable enough bike that my fiancee wants to ride with me on it. Am I getting old?!

Ended up picking up the one I have not for $1000, runs and shifts through all the gears so a good base to build up from. Pretty much a rebuild with upgrades for performance and handling. Bringing some fighter touches to a otherwise stock bike.

She won't be winning any beauty contests or any 1st place stats but its going to be one awesome ride for road trips.

Plans now are to get all the missing fairings and get it back to a base "Stock" bike. From there I will be sending the carbs to a guy in Florida who is a master with these concours bikes and he'll be rebuilding and modding them with overflow tubes (Concours have a bad hydrolocking problem). Then the usual EGR delete, wiring mods to reduce electrical waste, and such. Got a line on a set of EBC waved rotors for the front, will be running stainless lines and a external res master off of a 636. Clutch line will be SS as well and will be running a ZX-7r external res clutch master as well. LOVE the look of external reservoirs. Also going to pursue after a set of supertrapp mufflers from a 86 Ninja 1000r that should fit onto the connie since the bikes are the overall same base engine. Opening up the airbox some and rejetting should add some good power to this beast. Make it a bit of a sleeper, since these things are sport based good enough that you can drag knee with these. There is some other Concours farkle I'll be adding, lowered footpegs for my 6'3 self, taller windscreen... once again I'm friggin tall, and eventually a handlebar conversion to eliminate the clipon bars. Full LED conversion, add some smaller profile accessory/fog lights, backrest for the fiancee, and a ton of other little bits. A custom TocTuning seat may be in the future too.

I ended up trading the CBR900rr W.B.R.W back to Ratfighter for his DRZ400S so I once again have a dualsport to play around on. I hope to soon have another CBR900 but thats on the future project list. Still have $8k in medical bills from my wreck to pay off so going to focus on the debt first before buying more bikes.

Thats all for not, have a good one folks!

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
blah blah blah Concours farkle....

How old are you? I think AARP is calling about your AAA roadside assistance membership. :LolLolLolLol:

I too am getting old (not old enough to use a word primarily adopted by dentists and lawyers with Multistrada's and K series touring mounts parked outside of Starbucks) but I am getting back to that mode again where I am looking for a BMW R1150RT (A/O parallel twin!) for the ease of it all. Building A/O Suzuki big block choppers and riding a bimmer touring mount. Sounds like old age is catching up to me too. :D

At least if you hit a deer on the Concours the deer will pay the price and not you. :gdogg:

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Are you going to have a cup holder for your prune juice?
:D

Subscribed for the connie fighter farkle...

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn right I will. Ive been hanging out with the old farts on the COG too much lately. Im only 23 damnit!

Reactions: F'dup

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stuck waiting in Queue for my favorite BF4 server, so making an update.

I'm waiting for the DRZ to sell and when it does I'll be buying a '99 Concours from a guy I do work for. Its in GREAT shape and a turn key ready to go daily rider. Plus I'll have a good deal of money left over to actually pay some bills. Been near financial ruin for almost a year now, every time I think I get ahead something else come out of nowhere and hits me. Life...yay...

SO, if I'm getting a beautiful ready to go bike... what shall I ever do with this monstrosity? Maybe mod the fuck out of it?? The idea goes back to something I've been kicking around in my head for quite some time now. I'm thinking a shaft drive, 1000cc, 6 speed, ZRX clone. I've always had a love for the small fairing muscle bikes, like the Nighthawk 700 and ZRX. Pretty much going to be a built up Concours engine in a modified frame with the Concours tank and ZRX plastics. Getting more power from the engine will be pretty easy and cheap too since the Concours engine is the same base as the Ninja 1000R from the late 80's. Throw in Ninja 1000 cam shafts, adjust the valves, 4-1 exhaust and a set of Ninja 1000 carbs and the thing will put out some decent power. Selling off the Connie parts I don't need will pretty much pay for all the ZRX plastics and other bits. One option I'm currently trying to draft into reality is converting it over to twin shocks and remove the factory mono shock so I can weld up a under tail exhaust.

On a good note to finish off, I'm in the works of trading stuff for a TIG welder and will soon have full access to my friends machine shop (One I finish running the wires in his building) so soon pretty much anything will be possible. As long as I can afford it pretty much.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered a pile of parts for this thing to get it on the road. The main first step is to get it ride-able. I'm taking my MSF course in spring so I want a ready to go bike so I can enjoy a full season. Going to just be a "Naked" bike with the side bags for now. All stainless lines, 636 external rest master, zx7r external clutch master, new tires, hopefully get the seat redone, small flyscreen over a single round headlight and full LED conversion. Going to be a sweet daily or road trip bike.

Still have to order progressive springs, new tires, caliper rebuild kits, and some other small odds and ends but its going to be a long winter and my garage is underway in getting redone so I'll have plenty of room and time to fix it all up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts