Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally getting round to shopping for a welder...I would prefer to buy new as that way I have some form of warranty! going to be welding anything from thin sheet metal for undertrays and battery boxes all the way to 3mm thick subframe tube section made of either mild steel or stainless steel...I have done a course on how to weld just want to get peoples opinions on this particular one that seems really good value for money. This welder is kind of my max budget price wise

http://www.weldingdirect.co.uk/cws-best-mig-160i-9211-p.asp

·
Registered
91 Posts
Should be fine for up to about 3-4mm thick. The 1.0 welding tips are good for welding thin stuff.
if you are welding thick stuff remmber to go slow to build up the weld

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers dude yer thickest I will be welding is like said 2.5mm thick subframe tube...it comes with a built in ARC welding function so above 4mm I can swap over to ARC (after a little practice at it)

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
I'd almost save up another 20 and buy their dc tig..

if the mig is decent the tig should be too. both need bottles.. only thing i'm not sure on is a pedal.. if you can even run one.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd almost save up another 20 and buy their dc tig..

if the mig is decent the tig should be too. both need bottles.. only thing i'm not sure on is a pedal.. if you can even run one.
sadly I cant tig weld! think for a few years a MIG will do me just fine doing S/S subframes before I learn TIG

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
it's not hard to learn.. if you can use solder you can tig.. doubt it'll take you more than a couple days.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm tempting! Being sble to weld aluminium would be nice too!

However Mig will do everything I need for the time being and still get me used to operating gas and making me think structurally etc

Need to make a decision. Aaahhh

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
I'd go with TIG if I had to pick between the two. Much more capable.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
A dc tig doesnt really do alum.. it can do stainless, ti n shit... plus i bet if you didnt have a mig for steel youd do everything with tig.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for ease of use and the ability to hold things in place while i tac weld things in place (I dont have a decent workbench) MIG is probably gonna suit me more for now? my frame is alum but gonna get 4 tabs welded on and then i can just MIG a SS subframe and brackets etc until i have my own place and workbench etc

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Wire feed welders were initially developed for industry since aluminum welding consumes so much filler. It was strictly a production / downtime thing. So, you could easily use a MIG for AL. You'll have to possibly swap the leads when you want to use it for that, but that's no biggie.

In a perfect world ( where money doesn't matter) going with the tig makes sense, since it is a do it all machine, but they're super expensive compared to MIGs. I'd hate to lose my tig, but 90% of my welding happens with the MIG.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
^Shiny's right. I'm down a TIG right now, and still weld aluminum just fine with the spool gun lead for my MIG. It's absolutely doable, just not as clean.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just found out that welder I wanted they have just taken off the market...time to find another one! cant seem to find any decent welding supply shops locally to talk to either!

this is more difficult than shopping for a bike!

·
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
77 Posts
I recently purchased a Lincoln Electric Square Wave TIG 200. I got it from Praxair for a little less than $1300. It can do aluminum, stainless, mild steel, Ti, ect.

I have been using a Lincoln Electric MIG for almost 20 years and it got the job done. However, many projects were turning up that either needed me to weld aluminum, or needed to have the finesse a TIG gives you. I decided to spring for a nice TIG welder and Lincoln Electric just came out with the Square Wave TIG 200. I am extremely happy with this machine and am also extremely happy with using a TIG welder. Now that I have a TIG welder, I am pissed that I didn't get one sooner.

If given the choice between a MIG or TIG, I would opt for the TIG.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts