Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Currently Feckless
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hehe.
Hopefully that got you interested, but it's only about a bike.

I need your opinion about the tail fairing/ undertray of my 'build'.
At the moment, it is just a stock 99-02 R6 tail fairing, and I bought an aftermarket undertray to go with it:

but wanted a different look and chopped off the ugly bit at the end (the last 10" or so where the regular R6 light would fit). This has left me with a space that needs to be filled:

This is the tail tidy I made - I will have to cut a slot in the undertray to fit it:

The options I can think of are -

1. remake the undertray,

2. fibreglass the missing section directly onto the undertray I have.

So, what would you do and why? Is there a better way?

BTW, I have basically no experience with glassing (and no materials), I also want to make a flyscreen from the same material I use for the missing section, I'm on a budget and yes, I'm working in my bedroom :rock:

·
Currently Feckless
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 02 R1 tail was rather flat. you could try one of those.
maybe get a sheet of carbon fiber and make your own undertail?
or...stuf a teddy bear up there.. :D
Thanks for the ideas hehe.
Yea, I was thinking of getting a 1mm sheet of plastic (or whatever) and starting from scratch, but I'd like it to go down past the passenger pegs area and reach the battery box so that it's nicely protected from the elements, however to do that, it would need to be angled a little. So I thought that some aluminium might do the trick - easy to cut, easy to form; what d'ya reckon?

But would It make a big difference if I lost the wheel shaped cutout from the undertail? The subbie won't be raised much I'm afraid.

·
time is running out......
770 Posts
if you have a stiffer spring i dont if you had a flat under that the tire would touch.
the plastic can bend. if you have a heat gun or hair dryer. you can mold stuff.
i used 3mm thick HDPE(same as milk jug plastic) plastic sheets with heatgun to make gun holsters. rivet them together.
heres the thread maybe the ideas can help.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=352973

·
Currently Feckless
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you have a stiffer spring i dont if you had a flat under that the tire would touch.
the plastic can bend. if you have a heat gun or hair dryer. you can mold stuff.
i used 3mm thick HDPE(same as milk jug plastic) plastic sheets with heatgun to make gun holsters. rivet them together.
heres the thread maybe the ideas can help.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=352973
Hmmm..that's interesting.
Thanks.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i agree with the teddy bear option... :) or just get a flat piece of lexan, carbon, plastic, metal, anything. and fill the gap. it doesnt really matter if there is a seam between that piece and the stock piece you have. it will be hidden behing your license plate

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
OOOOH WHAT ABOUT THIS,.......??!?!?!

stuff a teddy bear up there...then clear plexiglass over it......freeeekn sweett....
thats the ticket right there

·
I P Freely
174 Posts
OOOOH WHAT ABOUT THIS,.......??!?!?!

stuff a teddy bear up there...then clear plexiglass over it......freeeekn sweett....
totally agree but if thats the case you have to put a couple led's in there so when your parked somewhere people will see the lights and go to look and see teddy lol.:LolLolLolLol:

Reactions: rabies

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
use the leds as turn signals

1 - 13 of 13 Posts