Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
nme4u2nv
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen many 95-97 zx6r fighter's out there. Ive been looking at tail sections online and I need an opinion aboutwhat I should go with on either the ones that use stock seats or the ones that use foam pads...Im looking to try and keep the subframe I have if I can, any ideas? Also I needs yalls expertise on bending my tail pipe upwards ...can I just take it to any muffler shop and have them do it? :confused: ok one more question is there a product made I can order to cover those ugly air holes in the frame? Thank you for your help!

·
nme4u2nv
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont have any right now, but I was wondering if I changed the angle of the subframe could I just trim the plastic to adjust? Or would it put the tank off cause the plastic snaps into the bottom sides of the tank.....Sorry im new to this if there is a thread or site you know of on custom subframes that would be helpful....

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Candyman has a newer ZZR600 which is the same as your bike. Check out his tail section, it's fucking sweet.

·
hack
729 Posts
I think damn near everyone on here has done something to their subframe. try the search function (its up top). works wonders, then get ready to read...

·
890 Posts
Candymans 6 is a later model which has a different shaped tank (doesn't have the plastics joining to the tank). But hey, that's no reason to stop you! You will probably have to make just as many mods to raise the existing tail as grafting a new tail and sub frame on - so I'd be looking at the latter option. Also, your exhaust mid-pipe is a welded one, which probably wont be able to be bent - however you could cut it and re-angle fairly easliy. Although it might be just as easy / cost effective to get a whole new mid-pipe made up. And as far as the holes in the frame go, I cut down my Ram Air scoops and kept them on.....partly because I couldn't find anything to fill the hoes....

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Hmm, ya my bike is the newer ZZR, not the same as yours. It would be difficult to just raise your rear by just adjusting your subframe, unless you added to your plastic (or cut a bunch off somehow creatively) with fiberglass to meet your tank.

Your best bet would be to look into a full tail swap. Find a tail unit you like, off another bike, and get the corrosponding subframe. If you can get measurements for mouting points from someone that would help, but you could always just dive in. (like most of us do) Then you'd need to look at what it would take to make the new subframe match up to your frame mounting points. Could need some extensions welded in, could need some mounting plates to make up the difference tween subframe and mounting point... theres a few options.
As for the seat fitting up... depending on what tail unit you go for you might be able to make your stock seat fit, or you may need to get the seat that goes with your donor tail. Its not that difficult to get a seat to fit a different tank.

For my tail, I cut down the stock subframe and had it welded up at a slightly steeper angle. The tail fairing itself is a very modified CBR1000RR tail, and I used my stock seat.

Or you could make a subframe from scratch. All they really are is 4 pieces of tube stock and some plates welded together. As long as you can weld, you can build a subframe.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Oh, and for the RAM intakes... they are a freekin pain. I just took care of mine, I'll post some pics on monday, keep an eye out for it, it looks pretty good

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
and you CAN swap your tank to a newer style.......I swapped my tail and tank from a 95 to a 01 style :)

·
nme4u2nv
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats awesome info! What mods did you have to make if any Dudad? I was thinking about going with a newer tank so that the tail dont have to snap into it.....also did you use the stock seat?

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
the tank/tail/front seat are all off the 01. You cannot use the stock 95 seat because its way different.

As for fitment, the tank fits but will require some persuading around the airbox near the front. Mine was crimping a vac. line shut causing the bike to hesitate real bad. After a little persuasion from a hammer on the bottom side it fit with no real problem. Everything will work fine. The tail I had to put two holes in the front of the subframe to bolt it to the bike but other than that it fit after trimming the rear of the subframe a little. Honestly its easy to do and I would do it again just because it makes it look so much better

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can't belive Haelo isn't all over this one. He has some killer pieces over his air ducts, those would look great on your as well, or a similar piece.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts