Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this weekend was my first race weekend. Opening round of the MRA at pikes peak international raceway. I was entered in novice GTO with my 999 that I've been working on getting ready for nearly a year.
Things were going well, I did 4 sessions on friday practice and one session saturday morning before the race. I got my lap times down to about 1.08 and the record for the class is 1.00. Not bad for a new guy at a new track.
When the race started I passed a few people in the first couple corners and over the next few laps passed a few more. Turn 1 at PPIR is really fast, coming off the front straight down the banking into a long corner that goes back out onto the back straight. This corner is bad ass because it's really fast, it changes camber abruptly at the bottom, and it leads into a long sweeper right out into the back straight. I was getting good at carrying a lot of speed through there and I was having fun doing it. However I forgot to factor that it was probably 20 degrees hotter that afternoon for the race, and I wasn't running slicks. Towards the end of the race I turned in off the straight, down the banking and tried to get the bike upright and hard on the brakes before leaning it over again into the next corner, but the front got squishy and I tried to run wide onto the overrun area but it was too late and I was going too fast at that point since the tires wouldn't grip. The bike washed out from under me at probably something like 100mph and I went down on my left side, tumbled a few times, smashed my helmet and my left shoulder into the pavement at least twice before coming to a stop. It happened so fast I couldn't really tell what happened after the bike went down. I know I tumbled at really high speed. My leathers are shot, broken stitching everywhere, burned through at the elbow. My brand new gloves burned through a finger but they are kevlar lined so I just got a blister. The straps on my right boot are gone mostly (kinda pissed about that, I could have easily had a boot come off). My helmet has a big smash on the left side and the face shield hit the pavement probably twice. I'm really lucky because I forgot my helmet chin strap when I left pits for the warmup lap, I half ass fastened it when I got on the grid. I regret that decision so much, I could have died yesterday. I have a bruise on my nose from impacting the front of my helmet.
I got taken off the track in an ambulance and they brought my bike back, it's a mess. The bike slid all the way from the bottom of the corner to the top of the banking and hit the wall. It hit the back of the bike, smashing my $$ termi exhaust and because it was in gear it sheared at least the dogs on those gears in the transmission if not some teeth.

Luckily I am okay just really bruised up and my left shouder and chest hurt a ton, I can barely use my left arm right now and I can only take shallow breaths. However financially I think I won't be able to race anymore this year because not only do I have to completely tear down my bike and fix the transmission along with the other broken stuff I have to replace all of my gear. I'm also wondering if I should be doing this at all because my ambition appears to exceed my talent. I will probably rebuild the Ducati but I think maybe I should try and sell the gsxr for an R3, 250 or something like that until I get some more experience. I don't really want to ride on the street anymore anyway, it's way too much fun dicing with other bikes up close, turning into a corner, getting your line set up and passing somebody on turn exit that's so close you could reach out and touch them. Nothing on the street even comes close for me.

I think I'll put that helmet on display or something, I seriously owe my life to that helmet and I am very happy I picked it. I love you NEXX XR2.

Pre crash photos:

The bike now:

Still some paint on the tire from impacting the wall. My kids peeled a bunch of it off already.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,269 Posts
Could have been a shit load worse than it was. It's inevitable man, racing = crashing at some point. If not, you are just taking up grid space

Each week should be an adventure as you push your traction boundaries and steadily stride towards the front. Hope this doesn't discourage you

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Perfect... let's take the front half of your 999, the back half of the 749, and between your good arm and my good arm we should be able whip up a new track bike for ya pretty quickly :D

Glad you're OK man, that's a rough one. Is your elbow all fucked up or did it just burn through the suit itself?
I've been on eBay a lot lately out of sheer boredom, there's quite a few used Dainese suits (and I'm sure others, I haven't looked for other brands) on there for super cheap... like $300 and under. Gloves and boots too. The key is to look for used shit, which is a box you can click to refine your search, and that eliminates all the knockoffs and generic Chinese crap. Ya know what, give me your sizes and I'll keep an eye out for good deals.

Just don't let it discourage you. That whole "more ambition than skill" thing... that's how you improve. Seriously, having more talent than motivation is the definition of stagnation. In other words, that's a GOOD thing to have that imbalance.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, you're awesome. I don't think I'm going to quit, even now I hurt but I want to get back on my bike and do that corner properly. What I'm wondering is if I should be riding something slower for a bit. And the fact that it's going to cost me a bunch to get back out. I don't know I think I was doing good with throttle control on the 999, I was getting small slides from the back onto the straight, and I slid the front in the 180 and recovered. I just got too carried away in that fast corner with the wrong tire. It's hard doing this by yourself.
It doesn't help that my 3 times on track have all been at different tracks.

Thanks mcantar, I'll have a look at ebay. I don't mind used as long as it's quality. I don't think I would have fared so well with cheap gear. The elbow burned all the way through and left some rash. I have an astars jacket that goes with their leather track pants (I don't have the pants though) but I'm not sure I want to trust a 2 piece. Maybe I can find a used laguna seca. I liked my astars suit, it was actually long enough.

In the morning I'm going to call all the manufacturers of my gear and see if they have any kind of repair option. I've heard Nexx has replaced some helmets for free if you crash in it. Maybe I'll get lucky. If I can get new hardware for my boots they are still in good shape.

Yeah I know I'm not that good, especially when I watch guys like Ricky Orlando race. If I remember right his times were 0:58. I'm learning whenever I can I just hate learning the hard way. I'm too old for that shit now.

Mike, I was doing what my Ducati was born to do, bring some growl to all those shrieking I4s. It's already been crashed before me anyway so I guess this will be it's second incarnation.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
glad ur ok. hope u can get back out there before this season ends... bike doesnt look all that bad.

i crashed the r6 my first time out on track this year. last session of the day too, and that was my main decision maker on getting and setting up the 250 for the trtack... idk if anyone noticed, but that bike was bought, track prepped and was on tarmac within a week of the r6 crash and i was back out at the same track i crashed the r6 on. i love the smaller bike... i had fixed the r6 and it was track ready, took it wth me to the track and i didnt even ride it the whole time cause i just wanted to stay on the little bike, was being ridden around by everyone there as a pit bike that weekend. now the r6 has lost its track fairings and is getting some lights and dirt bars.

the 250 is up for sale as of last week so i can upgrade to either ktm 390 or r3... little bikes for the win!!!!

my homie loves his r3 on track

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My shoulder is killing me, I either dislocated it in the crash or tore some muscle because I can hardly raise it at all. I know, quit whining already and DW. Need to call Imperial and see what they are getting for transmission parts.

mcantar, can those suits with holes be repaired? Maybe I should take mine in and see what they say. Thanks for looking. I'm a 42 by the way, but it's tight so maybe a 44 in some brands.

Dr. J thanks for the perspective on small bikes. Any pointers? R3, CBR300, KTM 390? Oh and why is it the 250s are the LOUDEST bikes on track?

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Dr. J thanks for the perspective on small bikes. Any pointers? R3, CBR300, KTM 390? Oh and why is it the 250s are the LOUDEST bikes on track?

Haha mine sounds badass yo!!!! Little shit screams it's ass off.

I'd rather the ktm or Honda for the fact they are single cylinders but the r3 isnt bad too man... Especially the styling

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
3,993 Posts
I'll keep an eye out for 42-44's. Not all, but the right holes can be repaired by the right person... it's definitely possible. What's yours look like? I know a guy, he does pretty much all the MRA guys' stuff and might be able to fix yours. Text me a pic or something and I'll look into it.

Shoulder sounds like a rotator cuff by the way, hopefully just sprained. My left one is fucked right now. Sprain = physical therapy, tear = surgery.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I took this picture but it doesn't really show the damage very well. It looks a lot worse in person. Those grey leather strips are ripped off in a whole bunch of places, the elbow is torn through and I thought the shoulder had a hole as well can't remember right now. Is the guys name Nate? They gave me his number at Imperial. Hasn't called back. I used Carleens of Golden for my jacket, Performance cycle recommended them.

I just remembered I have the same suit in a 44 I bought off a guy because I was afraid I wouldn't fit the 42 with a back protector. I stashed it because it's worn, no holes but it feels light and soft where mine felt stiff, I just felt better using mine. I think the guy said he used it for one season or something but there's no way. Unless he lived in it the whole weekend.

I don't know much about shoulders, never had a problem with mine. This sure does suck though.

Sorry mcantar I realized yesterday I was supposed to be figuring out a tailight for your bike. Kinda forgot about that with everything (not just the crash). Think I'll have to call you and talk about it. It doesn't look like you've laid up the piece yet though.
I was going to ask if you thought that tail fairing can be repaired. I really like that tail piece.

·
V four honda whore
12,426 Posts
im happy you're ok. im sad that bike is crashed.

but hey, streetfighter oportunity :D

Reactions: imsolidstate

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I just saw this. It's good to hear you are relatively unhurt, all things considered.

Don't be too hard on the boot makers about those straps. You slid them on asphalt at 100mph and they stayed on. They worked! :D Gear is generally considered used up and not reusable after a crash like yours.

Hope you feel 100% soon.

·
3,993 Posts
Nice pic!
I was thinking about your tail, it'll actually be pretty easy to fix and shouldn't take much time. Bring it by next time you head up this way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts