Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd pop this up on here if any of you have a weirdo take on bikes like I do. I have so many project ideas with this bike and I'll share them with the buyer :D

Selling my 1987 Yamaha TW200 (and my CBR600) and looking to get something like a DRZ400 or other smallish dualsport.

Its white and black and almost all stock. Just under 6900 miles. I got it a year ago and put almost 2000 miles on it this year. Has both kick start and electric starter. Runs great! 60-70mpg and can get up to 70mph! I have the title in my name and its registered to me.

Recent Maintenance items include:
-Brake Pads
-AGM Battery

Non-Stock Parts installed
-Renthal Bars
-Adjustable Rear shock from a VTR1000, way better than stock.
-47 tooth rear sprocket (stock is 50) - capable of higher speed

Will include a box with:
-Hand guards / bark busters
-All stock parts (bars, shock, sprocket)
-Additional spring for rear shock

The bad:
-Bodywork could be in better condition, no cracks, just not shiny, no stickers
-A bit of seepage at the base gasket, common problem and easy, permanent fix, just get the 2010+ parts to repair
-New tires wouldnt be a bad idea
-Bilateral dents on tank. No signs of rust.

This bike is really a head turner and just a total blast on and off road. When I take this out on rides with a bunch of mostly vintage riders, people get really psyched on this bike. I rode it out to the Pine Barrens a bunch of times this year and it did great along with some local spots. Come get this awesome bike, ride it home in December like I did last year.

Looking for $1200 and the bike is located in Chester Springs, PA which is a western suburb of Philadelphia

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
I search around here weekly for those in hopes that the wife will cave...

That's a good price from what I've seen, though the electronics on the '87's are known to have some issues, but that wouldn't stop me.

I'd strip that bitch naked immediately:

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
true, they are a bit unique, but either the problems associated with the 87 electronics have been fixed on this, or have not popped up yet. Ive actually always been surprised at the brightness of the headlight on this. Not sure if thats a result of the separate lighting generator. I think the 2000 miles of constant use in the past year has been a good vetting to flush out any issues. Unfortunately the base gasket did come up, but its a dead simple single so I couldnt imagine it taking more than 2 hours to replace with a competent mechanic. Plus you can put a cam in there and wake it up a little bit while you have the head off. It just honestly hasnt worried me enough to replace it. I've been having too much fun riding it. Its perfect for all the snow we've been having

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
true, they are a bit unique, but either the problems associated with the 87 electronics have been fixed on this, or have not popped up yet. Ive actually always been surprised at the brightness of the headlight on this. Not sure if thats a result of the separate lighting generator. I think the 2000 miles of constant use in the past year has been a good vetting to flush out any issues. Unfortunately the base gasket did come up, but its a dead simple single so I couldnt imagine it taking more than 2 hours to replace with a competent mechanic. Plus you can put a cam in there and wake it up a little bit while you have the head off. It just honestly hasnt worried me enough to replace it. I've been having too much fun riding it. Its perfect for all the snow we've been having
Oh, shit man... I didn't realize it was your bike or I wouldn't have even brought it up... Like I said, it wouldn't have stopped me from buying one.

One thing I've been curious about... I've heard of guys doing the fat front tire mod, without buying wider triples... How much space is there between the tire and fork legs? I'm not thinking a 180 would fit (though some claim otherwise), but maybe a 160?

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the 'normal' way of doing it is pull the forks from a yamaha BW where they had the wide tires in the front or use something from a 3 wheeler and throw another TW rear wheel with brake in there. There may be some clearancing and spacers, but those triples space it out.

There is a 130 normally up front, but there isnt too much more clearance. Might be interesting to throw a 150/70-18 Kenda big block on the front though...if it would fit...but the rim is still only 2.5" wide

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
I think the 'normal' way of doing it is pull the forks from a yamaha BW where they had the wide tires in the front or use something from a 3 wheeler and throw another TW rear wheel with brake in there. There may be some clearancing and spacers, but those triples space it out.

There is a 130 normally up front, but there isnt too much more clearance. Might be interesting to throw a 150/70-18 Kenda big block on the front though...if it would fit...but the rim is still only 2.5" wide
Yeah, I was thinking about a rim swap to 3-3.5, depending on spacing. The main thing would be to keep the disc brake on the newer ones and do the swap as easily as possible. If there's ~3/4" on either side, I think a 160 would be possible.

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
do you want me to measure? I have a F2 with a 160 on the stock 17 x 4.5, and a TW sitting in my garage. My gut feeling is that its not going to fit.

Anyway...this bike is sweet, people should buy it
That would be great, if you don't mind... Don't go out of your way to do it though, odds are I won't be buying one for a while...

And yes, it is sweet and people should buy it. The good news is, all this jabbering is just keeping the thread at the top of the heap! ;)

·
Chief Breakshit Engineer
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So a 160 should have decent clearance and the stock TW tire (Bridgestone TW32) would just barely be touching the fork legs if it was perfectly centered. There are 2 more tire options (assuming the TW34 has the same shape as the TW32, which is a fine assumption to make) which are the Shinko and the Road Oriented Bridgestone, both of which are smoother than stock. If you are a total uber dubber you can try to find a dunlop K180 in the TW rear size, but Ive never seen one of those.

So the 160 Continental Motion (which has been known to run skinny) on the CBR is 6.25" wide, The TW32 is 7, and the space between the forks is 7" There is also little mounting lugs on the fork for the fender that stick into the space between the fork legs, but its higher up than the widest point on the TW32, but the space between those things is 6.5"

Anyway, a local dude seems pretty serious to buy it and is planning on coming up to pick it up Saturday around noonish. SPeak now or forever hold your pee.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts