Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
yup, just don't use stripper to remove the factory finish, it'll eat the seals and dust caps. just sand them, prime, and paint. don't go too thick on the paint, and wedge the triples open with a big flat head screwdriver or something when you put them back in the trees, or you'll scratch the hell out of your fresh paint getting them back in.

just tape off the stanction tubes and anything else that isn't getting color, and have at it. or you could just leave them in the lower tree if you're painting the tree the same color. i've done it before, but if you have to take the forks out in the future, you'll probably end up having to repaint them. the fit in the trees is just so tight that it's very hard not too. well, with inverted forks anyway, regular forks aren't a problem.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
i dont see why not..youre just gonna have to take care in masking off what you dont want to paint...and/or take them apart and just paint the outer tube. gonna have to prep the surface to make the paint stick tho.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
I did one of fork lowers just to see how it would look...no prep, no sanding, rustoleum flat back paint.....looks tits and sticks like a charm.

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
Skrooz basicly sumed it up. Mine are painted. Looked great for about a month. If you ride it regularly though, they are gona get beat up after a while. Mine look like they have silver flake all over them now from the sand and rocks chiping the paint away. If you have the opertunity have them powdercoated. It'll hold up a lot better to regular abuse.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Powdercoat is the way to go.
Your black forks look pretty sick, Scrapyard.
Mine are gold and they match my calipers so I'm leaven em that way.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
im planning on bring my fork tubes and swingarm to the powdercoater... i just dont wanna pay for it. dammit.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Since I am pretty sure they are aluminum..would it not be better to get them anodized black??

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
mine are painted. i took apart one set to be powdercoated and he sandblasted them but didnt tape up the litttle valve at the bottom and trashed a perfectly good set. so i painted them and no problems

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
good to know.... in case anyone else gets their forks done. . . check that valve!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.