Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Basement Fighterer
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my Bandit frame and now I want to cheaply blend it in with the existing silver plus paint my fireblade front fender that I cut up. I took a fairing in and matched it to some automotive Toyota (I think) touch up paint. Also picked up some high build primer and 2 part clear coat.

The guy at the paint store told me that primer wouldn't stick to plastic unless it was ABS so I grabbed some Krylon stuff for "most plastic" as well because my fender is PP. I hit the fender with the Krylon last night after scuffing it up and cleaning it. My plan was to sand it out a bit then use the other primer, paint, and clear I got for my frame.

Some questions I have:

Do I need an etching primer for the bare steel on my frame? Some of the area I'm painting is raw tubing and some has some powdercoat (was a handlebar at one point).

Is my thinking correct on the front fender? I'm hoping the Krylon will stick good enough and I can primer over it.

Do I need to wet sand the paint or just the primer then clear?

Any tips on blending the silver in with the existing frame? There's not really a line to divide it up so I want to feather it in somehow.

·
Basement Fighterer
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I found out that the Krylon shit comes right off with mineral spirits. The dupli color filler primer doesn't but a few spots I sanded through the Krylon came off. Guess I shoulda wiped it with alcohol instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts