Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to get a frame and swing arm painted with rippin the bike apart, i know they should be powder coated but i dont have time to yank my bikes aprt im to busy with work

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
I guess you could mask everything off and paint like that. but its gonna look shitty and prep is gonna be a pain. proabably gonna look like shit when your done too

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
powder coat it....at the very least strip it down and do it

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya thats what i figured i was hoping you guys had some anceint kung fu cornal sanders :ninja: way of doin it ...sigh oh well thanxs for the advice and guidance as allways guys:cfrocks: :rock: :party-smiley:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
The Green Lantern said:
is it possible to get a frame and swing arm painted with rippin the bike apart, i know they should be powder coated but i dont have time to yank my bikes aprt im to busy with work
take it apart and get it coated with rhino lining or line-x ! :rock:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
i think we might need to get a smiley that says : PPP=PPP! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
i painted my bike the 1st time with the engine and loom inplace. Very straight forward to do and did not look shabby or unproffesional.
I used a base coat/ clear coat with no problems what so ever.
If you do go for powder coat then find a good one as most finishes are very orange peely, good enough for brackets and smaller parts.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
worst thing about painting a frame is that paint doesnt hold up very well. it chips and scratches off.

gotta be real careful putting the bike together after. also when you tighten up your motor mounts, or any bolts thru the frame, its going to strip that paint away.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I painted a frame once and it was a bitch! Chip here scratch there till it looked like shit. It is fine for show bikes but not if you beat on it like I do.

·
aka crash test
756 Posts
my budday just taped his frame and such off and on went the rock guard

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
usually something with a ceramic in it...hence the durability

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
cammy9r said:
i painted my bike the 1st time with the engine and loom inplace. Very straight forward to do and did not look shabby or unproffesional.
I used a base coat/ clear coat with no problems what so ever.
If you do go for powder coat then find a good one as most finishes are very orange peely, good enough for brackets and smaller parts.
ya but you can wet sand and buff it

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sevulturus said:
What kind of paint is used on a frame from factory? That usually seems to hold up really well :D
poweder coating

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
every frame i've ever built, and every bike i've ever built, had the same coating. pj1 fastblack. it DOES come in colors, but i've never used em. black is the only way to go for me. it's an epoxy based paint thats almost as hard as powdercoating when it's completely dry. alot cheaper than powdercoating (i'm po white trash, dontchaknow :) ) and holds up to almost anything. the only problem with it is that you can't sand it. once it's on, it's on.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
thanks for the info skrooz! im gonna have to remember that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts