Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys. Iv got almost no choice to paint in the winter. I'll be painting in my garage, it's a relatively small garage with a 1500watt space heater. Any tips or trucks for how I can do this with out having it look horrible? Ittl probably be about 35-50 outside most days

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Need to heat your garage to 60-70 degrees, Paint, then let it sit for a few hours before turning off the heater. Once the heaters off it will take A LONG time to dry at those temps so you will need to leave it be for 3-4 days or so.
Also, when you first heat the garage you need to let it sit at temp for 10-12 hours before painting as condensation will form at first and that can really mess up paint.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'd suggest using a radiant heater rather than a fan-forced one to avoid blowing any dirt around. Place the heater away from the work area, and ensure there's some kind of ventilation to exhaust vapors and paint mist out of the garage, away from the heater. Paint fumes + heater element + enclosed space is a formula to be the headline story on the 6oclock news.

Virtually all paint systems have a couple different versions of the reducer/hardener for different temperature ranges, choose accordingly. Typically even the "fast" or "cool" one recommends a minimum temperature of about 60*, so as long as you can get it up to that in the garage you should be in OK shape.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i wanted my brembo masters to match

so i did this. outside in my shed. no doors. no heat. it was -18f out

and they came out lovely. the brake master has a weird reflection on it though

Reactions: RaZed1

·
Ridin Dirty
377 Posts
most paints will shoot best when they are around 80f and the paint will lay down best if the part is 50-60f.
The viscosity of the paint is thicker when it is cold ,so it sprays finer when warm.
However, the paint will self-level and look smoother if the part is not warm enough to evaporate the thinner as fast.
once the part is painted, it has to "flash" from above 65f where most of the thinner or reducer evaporates. at which point the paint becomes sticky. From there it is best to bake painted part at 120-130f and it will cure within 2 hours.

I will sometimes find a cardboard box large enough to set over the painted part, with a couple of door-flaps cut out of the end and one on top to regulate temps. Then I poke a turkey thermometer in the top and move the heater back or forward and open the top flap to regulate the desired temp.

·
The Honda Guy
468 Posts
Can ya move the stuff inside?

It's nice to spray paint in the bathroom, you have a vent and shit (if it's small enough to fit in the tub),

ps: the wife says it's not nice to spray paint in the bathroom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts