http://colorrite.com

and were they good

also any opinions on ppg or house of kolors

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

:suzuki:, :honda: :yamaha:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,575 Posts
929#2 was painted with PPG, looked fookin lovely! good shit for sure.

Reactions: shotgun

·
GURU
1,496 Posts
big belly used duplicolor? well, thats good enough for me. that paint looks great!

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
The colorrite is good if you want a factory match. I've use the touch up spray cans at work. Comes out pretty good.

I have a buddy that swears by Diamont and Dupont. The Diamont stuff is good and is priced pretty fair for a quality paint system.

HOK is a little wierd to work with. It's still a pretty old tech system and from what I've been told by painters that use it regularly, it needs specific temp range to work well and even then it's still sets up on it's own time. The instuctions literaly say to touch a corner that's not visable and see if it's stringy befor you continue with the next coat.

I'm a rattle can guy. I use Duplicoat engine enamle fo almost everything. 1 shot for my airbrush and pinstipe stuff. It's simple, easy to work with and holds up to a lot of abuse.

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
I agree on the rattlecan.... rattlecan, can come out SOO NICE, and if done right with all the prep work and clearcoat can be extremely durable.

I have the whole "giant air compressor and whole paint sprayer getup" at my parents garage, and honestly I have only felt the need to use it on BIG pieces that I am painting so I can have a larger spray... Like back when I painted my Jeep, Jeep frame, bro's car etc.....but if I am just doing some smallerish pieces I'll just rattle can it.

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts
Rattlecan for small pieces and etch primer on ali. Cellulose high build and metalics. 2PK Akrylic laquer on tanks etc. Using the spray gear is a pain most of the time and I have to wear the proper filter on my mask and cover everything in my garage. 2PK Acrylic is getting scarce as more autoshops r now turning to waterbased over here.
I don't like Dupont as a company! But their products r good.

·
V-4 for 4 life
1,706 Posts
rattle can for the win definitely its just takes some good prep and patience for the fuck of it i have about 16 coats of paint/primer on my tank then agin its just a bit banged up and rusted so perfection was never absolutely important

·
Gone Ridding!
686 Posts
I use rattle cans. As long as you get a brand name ( Dupi Color, Krylon, Etc) . They have a wide fan spray. Takes less time to paint something. Also helps you overlap layers so you don't get dry /dull spots. It's alot harder ( to me ) using the cheaper rattle can stuff. Too narrow ,harder to see spray lines.

I also spayed a couple cars with paint from www.PaintForCars.com
They only have select colors, and only sell it by the gallon but you can't beat there prices.
start at $35 a gallon!! They have some nice colors .
It 's good paint to and easy to mix and spray. But if you use it in hot weather the reducer there kits come with pops a little to fast so you should use a paint reducer retarder.

·
79 Posts
Do most of you guys apply a clear coat once you've finished painting.
I'm using Duplicolor low gloss black and if I apply clear coat will it stay low gloss?

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts
Do most of you guys apply a clear coat once you've finished painting.
I'm using Duplicolor low gloss black and if I apply clear coat will it stay low gloss?
Only stay low gloss if u use low gloss laquer. You can have a matt top colour but cover in high gloss laquer and it will be high gloss finish.

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
Oops,haha I thout tha thread said .."Pants?what ya use: ..:wtf:

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
I've used a lot of rattlecan, mostly Rustoleum, on small bits and pieces. I don't cheap out when it comes to bodywork though - I prefer PPG, I like the DBU system and UPOL clear is good shit for the money. SEM primer FTW!

The body shop that I rent a booth at is supposed to be switching to PPG's water-based sytem soon, I'm lookin forward to tryin that stuff out.

·
Person of interest
1,302 Posts
Painted cars and bikes for years, H.O.K. is good, but PPG is all bang for less bucks. By far my pick.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts