Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am toyying with the idea of putting a set of perimeter brakes on my oil burner, like a Buell set up but with a disc each side, not just the one disc, i will be using GSXR K5 forks, can anyone lend a bit of advise on this?

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
I am toyying with the idea of putting a set of perimeter brakes on my oil burner, like a Buell set up but with a disc each side, not just the one disc, i will be using GSXR K5 forks, can anyone lend a bit of advise on this?
It would be way easier to use Buell fork legs, but I'm sure you can figure out spacing and whatnot... some of the Buell guys have used dual fronts by cutting the brake side off of one wheel and putting it on the other side. However, unless you're spending some time at the track... it's probably not worth it. Buell brakes work pretty well as-is, but do run into trouble under track conditions.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
A member had 2002 gsxr1000 forks with a Buell wheel and perimeter brake. He used a custom adapter to mount the caliper. No way you can make that work with forks with radial brake mounts.

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt think about them being radial legs, looks like i will be using Buell fork legs, does anyone know if Buell do a twin front disc set up? I have seen some pictures but cant find them now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I didnt think about them being radial legs, looks like i will be using Buell fork legs, does anyone know if Buell do a twin front disc set up? I have seen some pictures but cant find them now.
No, they never did. The idea was that it still has the same clamping power and surface area as 2 smaller brakes, so no need.

Even the ones you've seen with 2 disks, are usually flawed.
The Buell wheel is offset to make room for the caliper... no room for a 2nd caliper as is.
Most guys either simply don't run a caliper on the 2nd side, or have to widen the wheel. Which then is a hassle in re-centering, as well as... it's still not symmetrical and you now have no "reason" for it.

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
That was three years ago. I can't even remember what I was doing last Tuesday night. :doh:

If he was using stock 06gsxr750 triples in that photo then the fork spacing is 207mm. Going with 91-95 gsxr triples or 929/954/cbr1000(not sure of exact years)/rc51 triples would get you a 214mm spacing. It's only a extra 3.5mm to play with but it's a start. Or make/buy some cutom triples with 225-230 spacing and then you'll have plenty of room for adapter.

I might have to go hunting for a buell wheel, rotor and caliper now just so I can prove you wrong. I've even got a set of 06 gsxr 750 forks sitting on the desk in my bedroom right now . :Evil_smile:

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
In fairness when I said you can't do it, I was talking about the average guy. Not someone with access to the machines, programs and sheer mass of motorcycle parts you do ;)

·
10,448 Posts
Speaking of mass of motorcycle parts....

I found some deals on a pair of new rotors and a front wheel with a used rotor. Combine that with one of the tires on the shelf in the basement, the forks in my room, TIG welder, 3d modeling software, and a CNC machine and I'm good to go! Should I pull the trigger?

:LolLolLolLol:

Forgot I still need calipers... are the 8 pistons much better then the 6?

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In fairness when I said you can't do it, I was talking about the average guy. Not someone with access to the machines, programs and sheer mass of motorcycle parts you do ;)
I would have no chance then, i think i might just stick to the plain old K6 forks with the radial calipers, i refuse to run with 1 disc.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm curious what wheels those are, as they aren't Buell wheels (either one).

This is the one i see pop up most often... not sure if he ever got a 2nd rotor on it... last i read he just had to get a new lower fork leg... though I don't understand how he'd have clearance with the wheel spokes. I know he's running a large tire... but don't think the wheel was widened... he just had rotor mounts welded onto the left side.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-For...2SCG-on-Steriods-280mm-Twin-Rotors-Projectors

·
Registered
850 Posts
I looked into this before and the best bet was to go buy a bespoke wheel, machined from billet ally - (or something more exotic if your minted). The problem with trying to modify a buell wheel - cutting two in half and welding the sides with the brake mounts together or even just welding mounts onto the blank rim is trying to control the distortion the heat will cause from welding. Plus the material the wheels are made from is not great stuff to weld in the first place.

I never found anyone selling them off the shelf but any decent engineers will be able to make you a wheel, plus you'll have the added bonus of getting it made to fit, with the right dimensions for whatever bearings spacers and spindle your using. And you can tell them exactly how you want it to look.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
I would have no chance then, i think i might just stick to the plain old K6 forks with the radial calipers, i refuse to run with 1 disc.
Why do you refuse to run only one rotor? Anyone who's ever ridden a Buell or a bike with a perimeter style brake will tell you it has just as much stopping power as a conventional setup.

The company Braking used to make the slant five or six spoke wheels with the dual perimeter brakes and some kind of caliper and caliper mount to make it all work. I don't think they still make them and they were a few grand when new.

·
10,448 Posts
I only intended to buy the pair of new rotors and the wheel. Ended up leaving with a brand new turbo and some adjustable offset triples that have a 220mm spacing too. :D

Those are the forks I said I had. Or I've got some 636 forks and some r6 forks in the shed.

Time to get started...

·
10,448 Posts
A little off topic but think this wheel would be a good match to the buell front? Its only a 5 spoke vs the Buell 6 but I can't think of anything closer and I already have the Triumph sssa.

·
FAT IS THE NEW SKINNY!!!!
3,036 Posts
It is a pretty good match. I have one sitting in my garage next to a 6 spoke Buell front wheel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts