Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help

Looking for recomendations on a home brew setup.

Buell rotors are too big. Planning on waterjetting some from 1/4" stainless

Looking for a fixed dual piston caliper(single piston on either side)

Tips and pointers?

I can deal with welding to the wheel, and aligning it all, but havent made a brake rotor before.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I'm curious why you aren't using Buell hardware. They seem to be the only ones in the business using perimeter brakes, and probably are one of very few with a proper caliper.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mounted a 15" car wheel on the back of the bike, and the buell rotors are too big a diameter. Bike is shaft drive, Not single sided swing arm, and I want to put the rotor on the same side as the differential to leave the face open. Needs to fit between the diff and the inside of the wheel shell.
Dont want to go to a bigger wheel because I want the sidewall height.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not dead set on 1/4, just seemed to think thats what my stocker was, I'll have to measure in the morning.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Your new perimeter rotor should be bigger in diameter, right? As long as the total mass is the same / higher, it should suck up just as much heat before it fades, so could be thinner without that being an issue. Also cools better (bigger diam = more surface area).

The big advantage is that since its got a longer lever arm and doesn't act open the hub, it doesn't have to tolerate nearly as much torque. That also allows it to be thinner, and saves weight. Oh, and the hub doesn't need to handle any torque, allowing (as shown above) radial spokes, etc. Not (that I see from your build thread) you'd likely be concerned on either of those fronts.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bikes no lightweight for sure. I want it partially for appearance, partially for performance, and partially just because I can. Looks like I might be able to get away with the stock caliper, which would be a plus, playing with measurements in cad right now to see what I can do for a rotor, likely going to plasma a test cut in the next few days and make sure everything fits well so I can send the file out for waterjet.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just plasmaed a test rotor, turning some standoffs, I'll have it tacked up on the ass in a little bit.
If it all works according to plan I'm gioing to have a stainlless rootor water jet to replace this one. Looks promising though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thinking about it, want to see whats available locally, just dont want to order one up too find out it wont work.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
This page gives you a full technical drawing on many/most of the calipers, as well as a list of bikes that used that caliper OEM, so you can find a used one - but considering it's Brembo, they're surprisingly cheap new and will be nice and shiny, if shiny's your bag :)

http://www.oppracing.com/category/1089-rear-oe-calipers/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts