Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK long story short my petrol tank was off my bike and my mates ninja fell over hit my tank and now I have a lovely huge dent,

I have a few ideas
Try to repair it but get the feeling I can't
Replace it (£50 eBay job)
Leave the dents and go for a rat street fighter and spray every thing mat black

Money is tight due to me being made redundent

It'd a hyosung GT comet naked

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
How bad is it? I've seen some interesting ways of fixing dents.

Those compressed air cans turned upside down to freeze the metal and then heat applied to pop it out.

Heavy duty suction cups.

Remove the fuel pump if equipped and push it out from the inside.

A metric ton of body filler.

·
Registered
146 Posts
How bad is it? I've seen some interesting ways of fixing dents.

Those compressed air cans turned upside down to freeze the metal and then heat applied to pop it out.

Heavy duty suction cups.

Remove the fuel pump if equipped and push it out from the inside.

A metric ton of body filler.
Have you actually tired the compressed air, and did it work for you? I have tried that multiple times and could never get it to work.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Have you actually tired the compressed air, and did it work for you? I have tried that multiple times and could never get it to work.
Yup, I tried it on a small deep dent in a compound curve. Worked just as well as your attempts. :)

I think it is more for shallow dents in large flat areas.

I wonder what would happen if you sealed the tank and then pressurized it. Maybe use the cold compressed air trick while the tank was pressurized. Pray it doesn't split at the seams.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I dented my tank earlier in the build off. It was about an inch wide and extremely deep. Frist time using bondo and it came out perfect. Not sure how big you dent is, but a little research and I think you could do it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
My old Z came with a rather large dent in the tank, right along a curve line. I filled it with bondo and it got repainted shortly afterward. 3 years later it still looked perfect, even though at the deepest part of the dent the bondo was probably an inch thick.

I would not try to pressurize a gas tank- they are not meant to hold pressure and would be very suspect of the crimped seams at the bottom failing.

You might stop by a local body shop and see if they will pull the dent. There are all sorts of special tools- suction cups, stud pullers, ect. Shouldn't cost too much.

Don't fall for the matte black "cover up". It doesn't work, and IMO makes you bike look like some clapped out craigslist special.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts